velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorzmill12
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2010

i've been wanting a hip bag for shorter trips instead of having to carry a backpack or messenger bag for only carrying a few things. does anyone feel strongly about a certain brand of bag? i'd like one that is big enough for a water bottle, ulock, a few tools and it would be nice if there's a cell phone pocket. any suggestions?
    thanks.
    .......cargo pants maybe? anykind of bags just gets in the way
    Fanny pac for the win.
    transient bags are my favorite they make a really legit bags. Here is there link.
    http://www.transientbags.com/
    • CommentAuthorquidose

Bags are not hip.
    • CommentAuthorwaltsmith

Check out Fabric Horse
    • CommentAuthorNash
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2010

http://www.transientbags.com/product/olive-medium-hip

solid construction and comfortable to ride with.
    • CommentAuthorzmill12
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2010

alright cool, thanks for the suggestions guys.
    • CommentAuthorhenrydec1
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2010

this is the best hip bag by far i think, http://www.anchorbags.com/vessels-clipper.php hand made, high quality. and fits 2 tall boys.
    smaller back pack?
    • CommentAuthorheadphone

saddle bag. duh.
    basket. duh. lol
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Posted By: FixedTallyFanny pac for the win.

Duh.
    • CommentAuthorheadphone

water bottle cage. duh.
    • CommentAuthorheadphone
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2010 edited

jesus. lolz.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2010 edited

I admit that I don't understand the last half-dozen posts. It's as if you're talking in Morse code.

OP: I think you're approaching the problem the wrong way, by trying to put everything in the same bag and walking around with it. Once you stick a U-lock in the bag, the bag is no longer small - and no longer carryable. And why do you need to walk a U-lock around anyway? It's going to be attached to the bike 24/7 - either strapped to the bike while you ride, or locking up the bike when you're not.

I suggest the following three-element solution:

1) Rack (front or rear will work)
    2) Rack bag
    3) Small carry bag that will fit in the rack bag (on top of the U-lock+cable/second U-lock that you put in separately)

I've been riding that way for months. I have a rack bag mounted to my rear rack. The U-lock+cable are in there all the time. I then stick in my carryall bag: A Swiss Army 2.0 Vertical Deluxe Travel Companion. NOT the 3.0 version, which no longer has the water bottle pouch or the cellphone pouch.

The strap's adjustable with a ratchet mechanism, so the position stays where you put it; you can wear it as a shoulder bag, across the body as a teeny messenger bag, or as a waist bag/fanny pack.
    how do you even order those anchor bags? they done even have a buy option
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2010

Eaglerock, I think the op wants something small to use when he doesn't need a full bag. I have a large transient hip for when I'm just going out for a shorter ride/get food/bar hopping/etc. I can fit a tube, co2 + inflator, 2 tire levers, a trixie, multitool, my wallet, pocketknife, moleskin, and plenty of room for whatever I'll need in the meantime. My lock fits great in the back. The best part about it is the belt. I havea freight hip bag and it's great and all,but the belt that is included sucks. Slips and slides all over the place.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: the rabbiEaglerock, I think the op wants something small to use when he doesn't need a full bag.

Right, I agree with you. I think that's what he actually wants, even though he mentioned sticking a U-lock in it (OP: Don't do that). That's why I suggest the Victorinox bag: It's 23cm x 16cm x 10cm, which is basically a generously-sized hip bag. I like the fact that it has several zippered sections, and that it's vertical; it means I can open a zipper and rummage around without everything spilling out.

Having said that, a hip bag is not a messenger bag. It does not have a three-point harness, so it'll move around while you ride - both annoying and dangerous. That's why I stopped trying to wear it while riding, and started sticking it in a rack bag. Of course, there are rack bags/saddlebags/handlebar bags that come with shoulder straps, so you can detach them when you get to your destination and carry them around.

I think carrying stuff attached to your body is a loser, if you're going more than a few miles. I remember riding 20 miles with a messenger bag, and a Kryptonite New York sliding down and resting on my right kidney the entire way; I shudder at the recollection.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

I don't mind the hip bag. I really don't notice it while I'm riding. Most of them have a slot to carry a u-lock between the actual bag and the belt. A rack + rackbag is great if you're going to be constantly near your bike, but for things you want on-person, but don't wanna carry a full messenger bag/backpack, a hip bag is pretty decent.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.