velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthortbdrew
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2010

http://rochester.craigslist.org/bik/1778104847.html

It is Klein Quantum Z. There are some pics at the ad and the guy wants $450 for it. If you really want to be nice please view my GT Rage and tell me if I am being stupid for considering a trade. Thanks as always for educating this old guy.
    • CommentAuthorMu_Empire

I think that's a pretty good price on that. He fails to mention what parts are on it but it does have STI shifters as opposed to downtube shifters which is always viewed as a plus. Given the age though, it's on the high end of the price scale.

You could offer him a trade but a guy (or girl) who has a bike as small as that Klein probably has no use for a 58cm bike. I'd think your GT, despite being a frankenbike, would be worth more.
    • CommentAuthortbdrew

How old might this be? I did send an email with with Parts questions.
    • CommentAuthortbdrew

What does frankenbike mean? LOL, I love the ride but have always wanted a Klein.
    • CommentAuthorMu_Empire

I didn't really mean to call it a frankenbike - I did a quick glance at yours and nothing more. It's a nice ride!

That Klein looks to be late 80's early 90's. It'll be interesting to see what he says but I'm going to guess Shimano 600 which is super solid stuff.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2010

The Quantum was always a top tier bike. Now I can't see the link, but I'd be safe in saying that if it's in any kind of decent condition, it's worth $450 for the frame. Do a search on it and see for yourself, I'm sure there's plenty of reviews on it.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: Mu_EmpireI didn't really mean to call it a frankenbike - I did a quick glance at yours and nothing more. It's a nice ride!

What's wrong with Frankenbikes? In one sense, every bike that doesn't have a stock factory build is a Frankenbike; definitely, every bike that has used-part transplants on it is. Every fixed-gear conversion is a Frankenbike (it's riding on a wheelset/drivetrain the manufacturer didn't intend).

My guess is that at least a plurality of the bikes on VS are Frankenbikes, if not a majority. On some of them, you can see the bolts coming out of their necks...
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Posted By: eaglerock
    Posted By: Mu_EmpireI didn't really mean to call it a frankenbike - I did a quick glance at yours and nothing more. It's a nice ride!

What's wrong with Frankenbikes? In one sense, every bike that doesn't have a stock factory build is a Frankenbike; definitely, every bike that has used-part transplants on it is. Every fixed-gear conversion is a Frankenbike (it's riding on a wheelset/drivetrain the manufacturer didn't intend).

My guess is that at least a plurality of the bikes on VS are Frankenbikes, if not a majority. On some of them, you can see the bolts coming out of their necks...

After seeing one of eaglerock's bikes in real life I can guarantee you that this man is a frankenbike expert.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: wes m.After seeing one of eaglerock's bikes in real life I can guarantee you that this man is a frankenbike expert.

Okay, but that one's a pretty extreme case.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

I've got an extra extreme case for you. The farm I work on has a salad spinner that is made out of an exercise bike, a broken washing machine, and a pallet. I need to get that thing on velospace asap.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: wes m.I've got an extra extreme case for you. The farm I work on has a salad spinner that is made out of an exercise bike, a broken washing machine, and a pallet. I need to get that thing on velospace asap.

Making a lot of salad on that farm, are you?
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2010

Maybe 100lbs of salad mix a week. We must supply the salad mixing needs 50 families. I dont know what other small farms are doing but I think the salad bike is crucial.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.