velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorper.k
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010

Wondering if anyone has some personal opinions on portable hand-pumps, co2 cartridges, and things that help me fill up a flat tire on the side of the road. Tryin to finish out my riding kit and this is kinda a large omission...
    • CommentAuthorBen Hittle
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010 edited

I have absolutely no experience with CO2 cartridges, but I did recently purchase my first hand pump. It's nice, but doesn't work as well as I hoped. It's called a Topeak Mini Master Blaster DX haha. It's convenient that it is so small and portable, and it supposedly goes up to 140psi, but once you get up to around 60 it's gets extremely hard to pump. Twice so far (once on the bmx, once on my big bike) I got it to around 80psi then my valve stem ripped, which completely sucks. The first time I was being careless, but the second time I was really trying to be careful and not move the stem too much. It's just awkward to pump (like all hand pumps) and becomes very difficult when it gets to higher pressures. So now I only use it up to around 60-70psi, then ride to the nearest place with a compressor or floor pump.
    floor pumps > hand pumps. but if you need to carry one on your for emergencies like me, I've currently got a Serfas Big Stick hand pump that seems to be fine to get the job done. it's got dual valve heads for schrader and presta and I can pump it up to 80ish psi before it starts to get a little difficult. I've heard the Topeak Road morph is a great hand pump, but I know it's a bit bigger and a little more awkward to carry, than say the Serfas in like a hip bag or something like that.
    • CommentAuthorlatron

The Zefal HPR Graph works well -- "double pump" design, built-in gauge, both presta and schraeder. Stay away from CO2 cartridges; no excuse for not using a hand-powered pump.
    • CommentAuthorper.k

thanks for the responses, I used to have a nice little Zefal that got stolen :( loved the double pump feature.

but, I am trying out CO2, sorry latron. there is an excuse, and it's portability. I rarely get flats so I figure go for the least amount of size, I'm trying to fit everything into a hip bag like morethanwords777 mentioned and a co2 cartridge + air chuck attachment is SO SMALL(think palm of my hand) :P

Hopefully I won't regret it, I was pretty hesitant until I considered how often I'd be using this thing. If it sucks I'll be sure to let you guys know, thanks again for the quality responses.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

I bring along some random mini hand pump for rides that leave civilization even if I also have co2. You can run through a couple co2 cartridges really quick. Hand pumps arent for getting up to high psi. Its a survival device, they help you get to a real pump.

If I'm riding farther than 5 miles from my house I bring a proflate 16 co2 pump. It uses a 16g cartridge which is enough to fill larger volume tires to a reasonable psi. The 12g cartridges arent enough to fill my touring tires.

My weapon of choice is a presta to shrader adapter. 90% of the time I get a flat its within a mile of a gas station.
    • CommentAuthorper.k

Good advice, I'd still like to pick up a mini hand pump, but I'll save that for when I have some extra cash. I got the air chuck which fits presta or schaeder and can take 16 & 25g cartridges, so it seems like it will hold me for now.
    • CommentAuthoro0 Corey 0o

I wouid suggest something like this http://www.amazon.com/Serfas-Grifter-Floor-Bicycle-Gauge/dp/B001SJV2YA , a mini hand pump with a hose. It makes it way easier to pump ang get higher psi because you can set it on the ground like a floor pump and not have to worry about the valve breaking.
    I use to Topeak Mini Morph
    • CommentAuthorper.k

I was looking at one of those serfas, the dude at the store seemed pretty stoked on them, and I'd def consider one in the future.

As a sidenote and so I don't have to start a whole other thread, any suggestions on a small portable(hip bag size) 5/8 wrench for taking off bolt on wheels? Thinkin park tool multitool might be a good way to go if I can find it well priced, checked the local hardware store and they didn't stock any that small except a random metric set, and I just wanted one wrench(or wrench + bike specific tools).

+Currently looking at a Park, Topeak and crank bros. multitools, def leaning towards the Park one
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Since when are acle nuts 5/8"? They should all be 15mm.
    • CommentAuthorper.k

hmm, well maybe I have big nuts, I dunno

or using the wrong size? seems to grip well enough

either way ordered a park multitool, g2g
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2010 edited

Buy a box end wrench, cut off the end you don't use and file the cut end smooth.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2010

I've always preferred frame fit pumps. I know that Zefal and Blackburn still make them and I would think their quality is still up to par.

When you are pumping (especially at higher pressures) you should be holding the end of the pump with three fingers while your thumb and forefinger are wrapped around the tire for stability.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

On the wrench issue: Most multitools don't have 15mm wrenches - 15mm is pretty huge by multitool standards. All the big multitools manufacturers/resellers/rebranders (Park, Pedro's, Crank Brothers, Topeak among others) put the list of gadgets on each multitool on their website...so prove me wrong, Silent Bob.

Even if a multitool (useful for all sorts of things, even if fixie hub bolts isn't one of them) had a 15mm wrench, it would likely be too wussy to move an axle bolt. The tool you're looking for (aside from Ruffinit's standard 15mm box wrench) is generically called a "peanut butter wrench", so called for the Campagnolo wrench which was intended to install/remove 15mm crank bolts on square-taper cranks, and looks like it's made to spread stuff on bread. If the wrench is tough enough to install a crank bolt, it'll install an axle nut.

The fixed-gear cult has led the tool manufacturers to create a fixed-gear multitool, usually out of a flat bar of tool steel. These always have a 15mm box wrench for axle and/or crank bolts, and almost always have a bottle opener (dope slap!), but the other features vary; some of them have lockring hooks, some have smaller box wrenches, some have screwdrivers, some have tire levers, some have 15mm pedal wrenches. All of them are in the $15-20 range.

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=27&item=SS%2D15
    http://www.pedros.com/trixie.html
    http://surlybikes.com/stuff/jethro_tule/
    http://www.origin-8.com/product_detail.php?short_code=PB%26J+FixieTool&cl1=TOOLS
    http://www.eighthinch.com/tools.html
    I keep a CO2 cart in my backpack, strapped to a tube and levers with a chunk of old tube. It saved my bacon once, which was particularly cool, since I was on a borrowed bike and had to fix my companion's tire well enough to get home in the dusk.

I think I've only used it once other than that, and it was also just to limp to a bike shop in the rain to fix the flat for real.
    • CommentAuthorper.k

Damn, good response as always eaglerock! I ended up gettin the park multitool for the other stuff, but a peanut butter wrench is exactly what I was looking for!! Thank you wise sage

and to Josh AC Newman, that's all I'm really looking for right now. Once I sell my old commuter bike and get a decent road setup I'll probably invest in a righteous mini-pump
    I really like the CO2 thing, I gotta say. Lighter, easier, faster. I don't like throwing away cartridges, but I've only had to do it twice in the last couple of years anyway.
    • CommentAuthorzmill12
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2010

Portland Design Works makes a great 15mm wrench that has a tire lever on the other side. it has a glass nylon coating so the tire lever won't scratch your rims also. it's called the Coated 3wrencho. best purchase i've made in a while. http://www.ridepdw.com/goods/tools/3wrenchocoated
    That's the cutest brand name I've ever seen.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.