velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthormikeys
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010

I currently have a sugino xd with a tange bb on my kilo frame. It's loud and doesn't seem as sturdy as i would hope. I'm looking at a new crank/bb setup. I was thinking about the sugino messenger with the messenger bb, but I've found a hundred different opinions about spindle lengths, sizes, chain on inside or outside, etc. any opinions on this? i've also been considering the regular sugino sd2, or some good condition sugino 75 setups here in the marketplace. for my type of riding (mostly street), what should I go with? I want something as strong and reliable as one of these cranks, but I want it to be smooth, quiet and not overkill.

spare me the save your money and get a new frame babble.
    SRAM Omniums. Tons of people here swear by them.

All of those Sugino cranks, with exception of the Sugino 75's, are all about in the same range. Changing over to any of those lower-end Sugino cranks will not really be any different.
    When you say they're loud, what exactly do you mean? Unless the bearings are making noise, I'd wager that you have a chainline that needs some attention.
    Posted By: mikeysspare me the save your money and get a new frame babble

Your cranks are loud get a new frame.

jk
    Check the chainline, maybe dirty unlubed chain?
    • CommentAuthorstacks
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010 edited

Posted By: terrible_one49SRAM Omniums. Tons of people here swear by them.

+1

i got mine and i LOVE them. of course i don't have anything but the cheap-o ones i had before to compare them to but that's not important! haha
    • CommentAuthormikeys

The chainline is straight. It was loud from the moment I had my
    LBS put the bb and crank on. The chain was brand new as well so i don't think it's a matter of being dirty or unlubed. It doesn't seem to be too tight either
    • CommentAuthormikeys

btw, Im comparing the noise and feel to that of my friends miche crank/bb setup
    cranks usually arn't just loud, it would either be the chain or the bottom bracket, depending on the sound. if its a creaking sound, try cleaning and regreasing your bb spindle, and reinstalling your cranks. if its more of a buzzing sound double check your chainline, check for bent or missing teeth on your chainring, clean and lube your hole drivetrain, and then see if its still loud.
    • CommentAuthorBamfs01

Could be the chainring bolts too, check those. I have 75's and Omniums. They're both great products but the Omniums are way cheaper plus they include bb and chainring:

http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=1371
    • CommentAuthormikeys

thanks for the tips on how to get rid of the noise. what I was realllly trying to get at was
    suggestions for a new crankset. Sugino messenger, rd2, used 75, miche pista or SRAM
    omnium (thanks to terrible_one49)? I'm gonna have this new one put on by a better shop next time (since i don't have the right tools
    Sugino Messenger and RD are the same just different chainrings and Miche Pista I dont think is better than the Sugino RDs
    Sugino 75 and the SRAM Omnium are in the same league
    • CommentAuthorstalag13

new chain + new drivetrain = noise.

let it break in. it'll quite down. also, if your chain is tight, give it a little slack.
    get sram omniums
    I would also suggest Sram S300 track cranks.. They use the same bottom bracket technology as the Omniums but in 130 bcd. I love mine and I've never had a problem with them in the six + months I've had them.

Not to mention they're like $80 bucks cheaper too.
    • CommentAuthorquidose
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2010

Posted By: Alvin HolbrookI would also suggest Sram S300 track cranks.. They use the same bottom bracket technology as the Omniums but in 130 bcd. I love mine and I've never had a problem with them in the six + months I've had them.

Not to mention they're like $80 bucks cheaper too.

+1.
    i know a couple people here with messenger cranks and they seem clanky and noisy. i can't describe the sound either. i want the messenger cranks so bad, but the truvativs i have on now are so quiet that i've actually gotten grief on how quiet i am when i ride up to other people. soft crankset is soft.
    • CommentAuthorheadydude
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2010

as long as everything is straight, don't waste $ on legit track cranks when you can get a set of IRO or the like for $50 or so. they are dead quiet and strong as hell

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.