velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I recently made a build thread for my new 2010 Cervelo T1 Track frameset I just built up, so I wanted to post a decent review of it online, figuring not a single review for this bike exists online anywhere.

"The aluminum T1 is the newest member of Cervélo’s track series and it is quickly changing perceptions of what a world class, UCI legal, race machine should cost. Constructed from a completely new TrueAero® Smartwall 3® tubeset, the T1 resists the extreme forces of the most powerful riders in banked racing. While over 500 grams lighter than the most well-known carbon track frames, its light weight is not at the expense of stiffness as its bottom bracket and torsional rigidity are matched by no other. "I expected it to be stiff, but this took stiffness to a new meaning and I could feel the aerodynamic difference to other bikes I have ridden”, according to Magnus Backstedt."
    The retail on the Cervelo T1 is $1,200 and that include frame, full carbon fork, carbon seatpost and seatclamp and FSA Pro Carbon headset. I purchased mine from Excel Sports for just slightly above $1000, as I got a slight discount and free shipping.

Let me just start off by saying my reasons for purchasing this framset. I've been through several different mid-range aluminum track frames include Binachi Pista Concept, Cannondale Major Taylor, Guerciotti Scratch and Shadow, Cinelli Mash and also a EAI Bareknuckle. I wanted something that offered more than all of these mid-range aluminum frames, was of higher quality, but I also did not want to go carbon or custom. I feel the Cervelo T1 fills a perfect little nitch in the market for high-end aluminum track frames, making it the perfect upgrade from someone riding a Fuji Track Pro, Pista Concept, Felt, etc.

Cervelo also puts more research & development into their bikes, more than ANY other company. Not to mention they have a very strict quality control and a lifetime warranty, which just a few years ago used to be only a 4 year warranty.

FIRST IMPRESSION - On first inspection of the frame, I was really amazed by the smoothness of the welds and the beefyness of the tubing. The downtube, fork blades, seat-tube and seatpost all are aero V shaped, and taper down to a razor thin edge. There was also a large aero guesset welded behind the headtube, and another small structural piece between the chainstays, to minimize flex I assume. The red paint finish is thick, smooth and durable. I could find no flaws in the welds or finish. I also find the decals to be simple, clean and not overkill, as some other Cervelo frames.

WEIGHT- Granted I'm riding a 58cm, I found the weight of the frame to be surprisingly HEAVY. Cervelo says "500 grams lighter than the most well-known carbon track frames…", so I expected it to be crazy light, but to my surprise, it's the heaviest track frame I've ridden! Frame comes in about 2,145 grams. All my other track frames (Concept, Cannondale, Mash) were in the 1,400-1,500 gram range, so this Cervelo is quite abit heavier. However, the fork comes in at 497 grams, and the seatpost at 194 grams, both of which are full carbon.

FORK - The fork comes with a aluminum shim that must be expoxied into the carbon steerer tube before putting in the star nut. This is odd, as all other Cervelo carbon forks come with an expansion nut. Anyway, after cutting the fork down, it only took about a day to set up, and the epoxy has held fine.

SEATPOST - If you're planning on riding street, I would suggest seeing if Cervelo makes an aluminum seatpost. This post is super stiff, but is very thin carbon, and you must adhere to torque specs when the tightening the seatclamp, or else the seatpost may explode or shatter on you while riding. It has not given me any problem, but I'm so used to riding a Thomson, that it's weird having a thin carbon post. Anyway…it's a sexy post, but the finger screw adjustment is a little difficult to use, but is do-able.

BUILT UP - This frame has a SUPER short back end. Compared to my MASH and Cannondale, the rear wheel can sit about 2" closer to the bottom bracket then my other frames. Also, the front wheel is about 1" closer in than all my other frames. Toe overlap is not an issue. You can find the geometry on Cervelo's site for more info.

RIDING - I've spent a few days on the street on this frameset, along with a some races on the local velodrome. The first thing I noticed is that the geometry of the frame and fork makes for a VERY stable, grounded feel when riding. The bike handles tight and responsive, but is not twitchy or sketchy like my past bikes.

I cannot vouch for "feeling the aerodynamic difference" like Cervelo claims, but I can say that spending a day on the track, I CAN notice a difference in the stiffness, mainly in the bottom bracket area. It simply feels more powerful and solid. I was working on my held-start sprints, and also rolling sprints yesterday, and was able to take off much faster and more steady then I was on my older frames.

The heavier weight of the frame makes no difference. I mean that 100%. I used to obsess over weight, but now I realized that stiffness and aerodynamics are more important. Current bike weight pictured is 16 pounds. Even on a bike several pounds heavier than my last bikes, I was able to set faster times and ride a lot longer and keep up and even pass riders I was not able too on my Cannondale, for some reason.

Would I suggest this frame for the street? Well, it's certainly durable enough for the street. However…red bikes are stolen more than ANY other color of bikes, and with the huge CERVELO on the side…I would be worried locking this thing up.

If anyone has any questions, please throw them my way. Thanks.
    im having trouble with the expansion nut. when i tight, it cant stop. like it cant be tighten......please help me! thx (sorry my english is bad) :D
    I was hoping for some help here.
    I decided to play around with some of the spacers and removed my stem. When I did, I also pulled down on the fork once the stem/cap was off. the bearings at the bottom of my frame came loose. Well it is a sealed unit anyway.

So I go to put it together and there is a slight gap between the fork/frame (enough for my fingernail to go into) and there is also a gap between the top of the frame and the plastic cover of the headset.

do these bearing cartridges need to be pressed in? Or is there something else I'm doing wrong when assembling?

Thanks for any help,
    • CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2011

Look at terrible_ones pictures...that gap is normal. I am not sure about the bearings issue
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

also, if i remember correctly, the bearings didnt come out, what came out were the cups/whatever those things are called. The bearings themselves are lodged (or should be) into the headtube
    • CommentAuthor2011

There should always be a small gap between the fork and frame headtube. You don't want metal rubbing on metal there.

The bearings on a frame with internal headset don't get PRESSED in. No force needed. They just set in the frame cups, then you tighten down the top compression bolt on the top of your stem, then you tighten up your stem.

If the compression bolt is not tightening, then it's either not grabbing the inside of the fork properly, or the metal tube that gets glued into these forks has come loose and needs to be re-expoxied.

Judging by your bike mechanic experience, I suggest you take that expensive frame to be assembled at a shop. If you even slightly over-tighten the stem on the fork steerer, or over-tighten your seat clamp on the post... it will cause the carbon to crack and cause catastrophic failure when riding.

I often suggest to people... don't go out and buy a 1,200.00 dollar frame until you know how to work on your own bike.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2012 edited

Sorry to ressurect, but this forum is on cervelos webpage I just saw. Damn Ryan you famoussssssssssssssss

http://www.cervelo.com/en/bikes/t-series/t1.html

(scroll down to "performance"). This plug is...............money......................in.......................the......................bankkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
    • CommentAuthorCheyTac
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2012

Posted By: Mancha150Sorry to ressurect, but this forum is on cervelos webpage I just saw. Damn Ryan you famoussssssssssssssss

http://www.cervelo.com/en/bikes/t-series/t1.html

(scroll down to "performance"). This plug is...............money......................in.......................the......................bankkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

haha that is awesome!! Would they need to contact you for something like that or can they just grab the quote? im curious
    since it's a public and open forum, I'm sure they can just grab it. They didn't mention his username, so that might also be key.
    Scroll further to see the image corresponding to the wheel cut out is no the same frame as the one pictured. :/ Consistency.
    If you're talking about the part where they discuss the features/technology in the frame, the picture shown for the wheel cut out is the Cervelo T4. They are just using the picture to show a wheel cut out, not to show the cut out for the T1 specifically.
    This is a photo of the engine compartment of a Ford GT. It functions to hold the engine, man you are really going to enjoy that Fiesta!
    • CommentAuthor2011
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2012

It's pretty sad and pathetic that the best quotes that Cervelo to get on their bike, was by some unknown dude on a forum. Well... at least I was giving my honest and real opinion and it's not like they paid Chris Hoy to say their bikes are good, for the quote.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2012

To their defence, it was a very professional review on your part

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.