velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorcamchris1
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2010

Hey All, I have seen a few Nagasawa frames on the net that have been repainted at the Nagasawa factory. Can anyone provide any information on this? I've tried contacting the factory as well as those individuals but no luck. Alternately if you have any paint places in the States I should look into feel free to list them. Thanks!
    There are a million places to get a bike painted or powder coated. Other Austinians here might know locals to you.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

spectrum powder works does the best wet paint and powdercoating available. Id check them out if your willing to drop some cash .
    • CommentAuthorheadphone

joe bell
    brian bayliss
    velocolour
    • CommentAuthorkirke

What everyone else said, or also Chris Kvale out of Minneapolis, MN.
    But if you want to go local check out Hans Schneider Cycles out of Huntsville, Tx or check out some of the Austin/Tx framebuilders on this list and see if anyone would be interested in doing the job:

http://austinontwowheels.org/2009/04/17/texas-framebuilders-section-added-to-sidelinks/
    • CommentAuthorcamchris1

Thanks everyone, some good people/shops to look into.
    Would an auto body shop be an acceptable place to go for a bike paint job?
    • CommentAuthorVama
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010

so wait, you have a Nagasawa and you want to repaint it??
    • CommentAuthorcamchris1

Yep, ideally at his factory. It's pretty common as I have discovered from a few connections in Japan. He is making so few new bikes and a fresh-up is a legit way to breath new life into the frame. Mine is very clean, no dents or rust, but the paint is in pretty rough shape and some of the under-chrome is beginning to wear thin. Rust will follow unfortunately.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

If you have some "in" with nagasawa , what are you asking us for ? Good luck ?
    • CommentAuthorTempe

Mr Nagasawa is not making or restoring any frames at all unless you know him enough to eat dinner every Friday at hit house which you dont, Ed Litton from the Bay Area is the best but expensive.. He will increase the value of your frame dramatically.. I am going through him for my NAGA respray!
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: TempeEd Litton from the Bay Area is the best but expensive.. He will increase the value of your frame dramatically..

That may be; but Litton (about five miles from me, and a source cited by all Bay Area bike shops) typically has a one-year waiting list. Most people aren't willing to wait that long.
    • CommentAuthorcamchris1
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2010 edited

Well to through a wrench in Tempe's comments the Nagasawa Factory responded to my request and is happy to do it. So much for having to eat dinner with him...although that sounds nice! I would debate wether having the frame refinished by someone other than the Nagasawa factory would add more value. And to deermatt, no in with the man. That information came from folks I emailed through flickr,velospace,etc. that told me he routinely repaint/repairs frames. They just couldn't give me any more info than an email address which, as I mentioned, I had tried for a while. Then all of the sudden they respond. Jut takes time I guess.
    The way to go, if you want it to look original, and feel new again, is to get Nagasawa to handle the resto himself....

He does not do 'resprays', but rather full restorations. That means replacing dented tubes with new ones, replacing shagged ends, bending everything back into perfect alignment, repainting/original
    full sticker kit including the chrome chain stay stickers, new seat pin, headset and bb if necessary. You can even get the chrome or gold chrome stickers for about $100 up...
    You can even have brake holes added or geometry changes made.

...if anyone wants to arrange this, send me an email at [email protected] ... I am slow to reply, but will get back to you.

I am out at his factory about once every 2-3 weeks. I can also handle custom frame orders most of the time.

Nagasawa restorations are a good way to go, but the man himself seems to think it is waste, when your money could go towards a new custom order frame. :) The restorations usually
    run $500-1100. That includes paint, stickers, new tubes if necessary, geometry alignment, hatta njs headset. He does everything himself, and treats the work as carefully as if it were a new
    custom frame. He told me that he thinks of the frames as still being his babies, even 10 or 30 years after they leave his factory. :) It is expensive, but beats a 'respray' at your local paint shop...
    • CommentAuthorgravity
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2010

Wow, I didn't know that the guy from TrackSupermarket is a forum member. Cheers mate!

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.