velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

opinons?
    • CommentAuthorwowzah
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2009 edited

a professional spray is always the best

but it depends on what you are painting:

if it's just some beater bike, a rattle can spray paint job should work for 5 bucks

if it's just some average bike a industrial powder coating is fine

if you are trying to make a high end bike look classy take it to a professional bike painter who knows how to handle a bike frame

i have done all 3, rattle can, powder coating, and proffesional, choose the one that is right for the bike
    I want a professional job I want a black gloss with rainbow sparkles in the paint. what do you think the average cost would be
    • CommentAuthorwowzah
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2009 edited

around $300

Joe Bell in San Diego is one of the best

that paint job sounds interesting, i'm not sure if it would cost more
    yeah i live in the san francisco bay area so im gonna start gathering #'s i guess
    • CommentAuthorwowzah
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2009

Rivendell in Walnut Creek sends their frames to Joe Bell in San Diego to get painted

however i'm sure you can find a top notch painter in the bay area if you don't want to ship it
    yeah that might be a bitch of a process and it might take longer.
    • CommentAuthorwowzah
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2009

a top notch painter in demand is going to take some time either way
    What is the frame you are painting? If it's a low-end cheap frame, don't even bother. If it's a nice frame...get a nice paint job.
    america's finest discount spraypaint in highlighter yellow. awesome. so awesome.
    Im ridin a new fuji blank frame I just want this black with rainbow sparkles in it
    Poster paint and stickers.
    • CommentAuthorfastfixie
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2009

DIY. You can lay a base gloss black down and use sprinkles from the craft store. Sprinkle while the paint is still wet. Clear coat over that. Go light with the sprinkles.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

dont paint, get it powdercoated. Paint chips , powdercoating is much more durable, and wont ever come off.
    • CommentAuthorwowzah
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2009 edited

it really depends on the bike

i'm not taking a very nice bike frame that i care about to a powder coater who mass produces road signs

quality paint, sprayed by a top frame painter last

i would make the decision based on the bike, there are plenty of applications were a $5 rattle can job is going to make the most sense

if you are just painting some mass produced bike from a china I would take it to a powder coater
    something more special is best left to a professional frame painter, who will treat the frame like you treat it
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

I took my basically irreplacable njs track bike to the powdercoaters, where they plugged every hole,and bead blasted the old paint off that was chipped up, and put an amazing powdercoat on my frame. Im the other way around.. If it was a cheap frame, I would take it to a painter, like earl sheib and get the cheapest coat sprayed on, or you could do a real decent job yourself with rattle cans. A good powdercoat will look great, and will be indestructable . I paid almost 200 for my powdercoat job.
    • CommentAuthorwowzah
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2009 edited

deermatt, if you took it to a pro, your jaw would drop just from the frames waiting in queue hanging on the wall to be painted, worth a hondo right there

what did your powder coater paint after your frame? an industrial furnace? a yard fence?

i'm talking about a frame painting shop that does 100% business painting bike frames, you really think the powder coater does a better job?
    these shops paint frames for frame builders, it's the real deal
    • CommentAuthorHyde

I wouldn't do powdercoat. Paint is the best for a loved frame. I had a frame blasted & powdercoated. The powdercoating came out orange pealy in some areas. The bike was flat black so it didn't really show but had it been gloss it would have riuned the bike. Paint is the way to go. That is why all new retail bikes are painted.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

Well you went to a bad powder coater. A good powdercoat should never orange peel, and will be 100x more durable than regular paint. Retail bikes are painted because its much cheaper and quicker to paint than powdercoat.
    Posted By: deermattRetail bikes are painted because its much cheaper and quicker to paint than powdercoat.

that is actually incorrect most retail bikes after 1995 or so are powder coated with cheap industrial; powder coat.

but to get back on topic. I reside in the bay area and I do professional powdercoating, enamel and urethane-lacquer paintjobs with custom decaling options. My prices are competitive if you want to see some of my work check out my profile.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.