velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthortbdrew
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010

I am considering changing my drop bars to a different style. I find my self moving my hands about as my hands get sore /tired quickly. I see the butterfly , mustache and bull horns and wonder if one of these might help.Many years ago I rode a friends bike with butterfly bars and it seemed ok. I have Shimano 105s and do not want to change shifters if I do not need to. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.
    Posted By: tbdrewI am considering changing my drop bars to a different style. I find my self moving my hands about as my hands get sore /tired quickly. I see the butterfly , mustache and bull horns and wonder if one of these might help.Many years ago I rode a friends bike with butterfly bars and it seemed ok. I have Shimano 105s and do not want to change shifters if I do not need to. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Have you ruled out any potential fitment issues first? If your hands are getting sore that quickly even if you're repositioning constantly the problem may not be solved by changing out the bars. I noticed that you mentioned in your profile that your bike is a 58cm but you'd prefer a 56cm - perhaps the top tube is too long also? Just a thought.

As for bar options, you won't find very many that offer more positions than randonneurs. Personally, I'd like to give these a try sometime... http://velo-orange.blogspot.com/2007/09/modernist-randonneur-bars.html
    • CommentAuthortbdrew

It may be a bit big. I have ridden both sizes. My Saddle is low as it can go and I touch. I had a 58 cm prior to this and did not have the hand issue. The radonneurs look intriguing.
    • CommentAuthortbdrew

And may I add I prefer the 58 cm size.
    • CommentAuthortbdrew
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2010

Any more suggestions here?
    • CommentAuthorLegislator

your bike is too big for you. I am judging this based on the seat height in your photos. try going to a shop and seeing what they fit you for in new fangled bike geometry, again judging by your pic I'd guess 53-55cm.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

^+1. The bike is too big and it's causing you to stretch out and put a lot of pressure on your hands.
    • CommentAuthortbdrew

Thanks Gang! My Bike Shop guy is going to "dial"me in this weekend. He thinks just slide the seat forward a bit.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

That's not solving the bigger issue here. I wouldn't be surprised if you find yourself having knee pain after he does so.
    • CommentAuthortbdrew

A friend who is an experienced cyclist came over tonight and he dialed me in as I was on my trainer. We then rode about 7 or 8 miles and all seems well. Try another ride tomorrow.
    • CommentAuthortbdrew

Thanks for the help and suggestions. Maybe my wife will see fit to let me get something new someday soon....lol ya know how that goes.
    • CommentAuthorVama
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2010

yeah, improper fit, your saddle shouldn't need to be that slammed.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.