velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorzmill12
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010

alright guys, i haven't BMXed since about 8th grade (i'm almost 21 now) and i want to get back into it. what would be a good starter bike to get me going? preferably around $500 or less. any input would be appreciated.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Get whatever complete bike costs $500 from either fit, kink, fbm, and every other "small" bmx xompany that is now producing completes. $500 these days buys a LOT of bmx bike.
    • CommentAuthorzmill12

alright cool. i haven't been in that "scene" in a long time so i feel like a newbie all over again haha.
    • CommentAuthorjmarc

Man, I'm in the same boat, so a couple months ago I got a Fit bike. SO FUN. I'm not even good but just being able to pound down stairs or bunny hop a curb brings you right back to being 10 years old. Totally do it.

One thing - weight makes a big difference in how much fun it is. A heavy bike is hard to "man handle" - you can't whip it around and bunny hop (now called J hopping apparently - yeah, I'm a newb too). Try to get something around 25 pounds... a few extra pounds beyond that makes way more difference than you'd think.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Posted By: the rabbiGet whatever complete bike costs $500 from either fit, kink, fbm, and every other "small" bmx xompany that is now producing completes. $500 these days buys a LOT of bmx bike.

Yes.

I picked up a new fit str3 for a little over $300 when they were moving out the 09's to make room for 10's. $500 is actually a really high budget for a starter bike. Save a little money for a helmet, bmx is way sketchier than you remember it being.
    • CommentAuthorzmill12

i only put $500 because i'm so used to putting money into track bikes haha. cheaper is fine with me! i'll definitely look into the fits.
    • CommentAuthorBen Hittle
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010 edited

Bmx isn't sketchy, only the person riding it. Reguardless, a helmet is a good idea. And like rabbi said, Kink and Fit make some of the best completes you can buy, and at affordable prices. It's awesome that you want to get back into it.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010 edited

I would spend whatever it takes to get a full CrMo frame so it is strong and a little lighter. Look at Fit, Verde, FBM, Mirraco, and Premium. I don't know what you used to ride but if you are taller a 21" top tube frame is a good idea.
    Might I suggest an Intense Pro 24. They have a wide range of 24 inchers and if you can get a last years model you can save a significant ammount of cash.

I am 6-1 and a regular 20 inch bike would destroy my knees and back.
    The Intense has a 21.25 top tube and some decent componentry. I use it as a errand runner and for bombing some local hills.

I don't know if you want to race, dirt jump or what but I have found this bike to be a great bike for a great price.

I got mine shipped from Colorado to Massachusetts for under 300 clams.

My only issue is that it was pedaled out after about 5 or 6 sprint revolutions which was remedied by the install of a 14 tooth freewheel to gain some more top end.

CHECK IT:
    http://www.ebikestop.com/intense_moto_pro_alloy_24_bmx_bike_whitesilver_2010-IBK0MPC-1.php
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2010

Bmx bikes are not for riding to places, that's why it hurts your back and knees. 24" bmx cruisers are for 50 year old dudes getting back into racing. I'm 6', and my 20" bmx bike has a 21.25" tt.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

They make 20" BMXs with 22" top tubes. If you put a toploader stem on, and some bars with an 8.75 rise you could easily duplicate the riding position of a 24". You still won't be able to sit down unless you are willing to commit the fashion faux-pas of having a long seatpost on a street/park bike. You could run a seatpost as long as the frame is tall and just move the seat up to ride from place to place and then slam it when to want to do tricks, jump, etc.

The recommendations I made for a BMX assume it will be used for street or park.
    Interesting. There are a few race tracks in my area that I have attended beginner events. It hurt my back and knees due to spinal deformities and multiple surgeries on both my back and knees. I have the okay to ride from my doctors so no matter what size bike I ride, I will be caused pain.

As far as riding places is concerned I find it just fine. I work 1 mile from my house and most everything else I need (foodstuffs, the pharmacy, etc) is under a mile away. I would ride my road bike for these tasks but it is currently in pieces undergoing an overhaul.

Rabbi: What are you riding?
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

A colony something on other.I traded my friend frames.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.