velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2009

The Blackburn Flea is a useful 4-LED headlight if you want enough light to be seen. This is not a light to see by, but for the price thats not expected. The velcro strap that the light comes with allows it to be mounted on a helmet which is perfect for commuting, and the original reason I was interested in it.

The light is marketed as having a 6 hour flash runtime which is a bit optimistic in my experience. The light seems to run flashing for about 3 hours after being recharged for 3 hours with a fresh AA. The flash is very visible and lights up street signs and reflective license plates downt he block.

The Flea cool because it is rechargeable with any AA or AAA battery. The Flea isn't cool because you need a AA or AAA to recharge it - there is no option to recharge from USB or a wall-plug, so you are stuck having to use rechargeable batteries or buying AA/AAA's as needed. The inclusion of a USB or wall-plug charger would make this good product great.

Bottom line: good light but could use some more options for recharging.
    Please don't place advertising plugs on the message board.
    • CommentAuthorgergm
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2009

im pretty sure he's just reviewing the product... which we should see more of around here.
    • CommentAuthorgreg

Yeah no shit. I run velospace and this is a review of a product I bought with my own money and use on a daily basis
    • CommentAuthorjam guy

Posted By: terrible_one49Please don't place advertising plugs on the message board.

Posted By: gregYeah no shit. I run velospace and this is a review of a product I bought with my own money and use on a daily basis

Greg can do what he wants!
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2009 edited

I called Blackburn last year around the time I posted this thread suggesting that they include a USB charging option. They listened and in 2010 they are offering both a USB and a solar charge option, I'm going to have to pick this set up:

Freaking awesome. See details here.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

I got one that ended up being defective. I suspect that the thingmajigger thats supposed to tell the light when to stop charging didnt work = overcharging = battery got killed. It will only light up for about 45 minuts on blinking mode now. According to the blackburn website all I have to do is mail it to them with a note saying whats wrong and they will take care of it. I'll let you guys know.
    • CommentAuthorjayohachen
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2009

Blackburn has really good customer support. I broke the clamp for my headlight twice and after a quick email exchange, they sent two completely new clamps with no questions asked.
    Greg, do you have a picture with something for scale?
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

actual size. more like mutant king kong flea.

the size of the light is also dependent on the size of your monitor. its called personalization.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: gregboth a USB and a solar charge option

Okay, that seals it. I've been looking at the $50 F+R Flea package at my LBS for months, as I shop for additional lights. Adding a solar charge option means it's now suitable for self-supported touring, where you may not always be able to get to an electrical outlet. Lighter and less drag than a tire-driven generator; less expensive than building a wheel around a hub generator.

Time to haul ass down to the LBS and see when they're going to get them.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Any word on whether or not the usb and solar chargers will be compatible with 2009 fleas?
    • CommentAuthorgreg

Give Blackburn a call and let us know
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: wes m.Any word on whether or not the usb and solar chargers will be compatible with 2009 fleas?

It's hard to tell. Blackburn doesn't publish many manuals on their site (I've snarked at them through email about that), and there's no tech info on any of the Fleas beyond what's on the marketing page.

I'd take a look at that page, and look specifically at the USB adapter in the exploded photos. If the socket on the 2009 Fleas matches, I'm betting that you could get the 2010 USB and/or solar chargers and they'd work, since the power draw will be the same 1.5V that you'd get from a standard battery. Otherwise, they'd have to make new battery chargers to fit the new socket, which means there would be a retooling cost, and they'd have to maintain a spare parts inventory of both the 2009 and 2010-socket battery chargers. Since there's no difference in voltage draw (whatever else changes, retail alkaline batteries remain the same), there's no obvious reason to use a different socket; you might as well keep making gadgets with the one you've already used.
    • CommentAuthorsoulbyte

Posted By: Aaron C

actual size. more like mutant king kong flea.

the size of the light is also dependent on the size of your monitor. its called personalization.

This Light is as big as my head :D
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

size:
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

So, it's essentially the same size as the earlier Fleas. Unless there's a whizzier newer LED that they haven't mentioned, the only practical difference between the generations are the bundled chargers.

Sounds like a phonecall to Blackburn is in order...any existing Flea owners want to do it? After all, the chargers are supposed to be available separately, and you're the ones who'll benefit...
    • CommentAuthorgreg

call em and let us know what they say
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Posted By: eaglerockSo, it's essentially the same size as the earlier Fleas. Unless there's a whizzier newer LED that they haven't mentioned, the only practical difference between the generations are the bundled chargers.

Sounds like a phonecall to Blackburn is in order...any existing Flea owners want to do it? After all, the chargers are supposed to be available separately, and you're the ones who'll benefit...

Yeah, I'm calling in the next few days about sending back my defective flea so I'll ask them about the compatibility of the chargers while Im at it.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: wes m.Yeah, I'm calling in the next few days about sending back my defective flea so I'll ask them about the compatibility of the chargers while Im at it.

Excellent. I was at my LBS today (pinch-flatted a new tube I was replacing, so I needed another replacement; AND I broke an axle on the same wheel - dammit. A dry, ride-worthy day down the crapper, and I think I left my ATM card at the LBS), and one of the less-helpful guys there said that he'd read Blackburn's announcement, but had no idea when they'd get them in stock.

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.