velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorTerkle
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010

I would like to pose, what I think, is a good question(it might be stupid). I have never heard one person in my life say that they have ever seen or reclaimed a bike since they had it stolen from them. What do people do with really cool bikes once they steal them? I mean, alot of people post on craigslist and put signs up at the LBSs about the theft so it seems like it would be spotted, eventually. Furthermore, most people know exactly what components are on their bike so if someone wanted to just paint it over, it would still be recognized if someone was riding it around town all the time. I just don't understand!
    In larger urban settings many end up at the weekend flea markets. I've heard of more than a few people recovering their stolen bikes at these venues.
    • CommentAuthorper.k
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010

as far as the components, I've heard a lot of competent bike thieves will swap components among their stolen cadre to make identification harder
    • CommentAuthorsfzoo
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010

agreed, heard many accounts of fleamarket finds...weak!
    • CommentAuthorRood
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010 edited

I think there was a story on this forum a while ago about a years-later stolen bike recovery. The guy saw the bike at a swap meet (I think he paid for it, though)

What do y'all think of paying for your own stolen bike?
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010 edited

Posted By: RoodI think there was a story on this forum a while ago about a years-later stolen bike recovery. The guy saw the bike at a swap meet (I think he paid for it, though)

What do y'all think of paying for your own stolen bike?

My dad's friend just had his like 10k track bike stolen from the back of his car. He found it at a pawn shop and bought it for like 250. At that point I think anyone would just be happy to have their bike back.
    My bike was stolen when I was a teenager. I told the story on here somewhere and I don't want to retype it, but I got it back a couple of months later. My dad saw it outside Sears. A cop came and the serial was filed off, so the cop said it sure looked like my bike to him.

Flea markets! That's the pits! I've always wondered.
    Bike thieves are the modern day horse thieves.

Ever hear of the guy Kenk, who stole like, thousands of bikes in Toronto?
    There's a graphic novel about him - mostly transcribed dialogue from interviews - that came out very recently.
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2010

• CommentAuthorTerkle

I wonder if he stole most of the bikes himself, or if he bought most of them from thieves who knew he would buy them? I would like to read that.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

The articles I have read generally agree that he was an obsessive compulsive bike hoarder, he was convinced that his hoard of bikes would make him a hotshot in a post apocalyptic scenario he had envisioned, and that he was well known amongst bike thieves as a guy who would buy anything that showed up at his shop if the price was right.

Stealing 3000 bikes yourself is far fetched. You would at least need a partner. Also, he was caught with about 3000 bikes. Factor in all the bikes he had sold out of his shop for the decade or so it was open and you are looking at a much larger figure.
    I must read this.
    Igor is an ass. My wife got her Bianchi back - atleast the frame. It was chopped in front of the CBC building, on camera, and the security guard just watched. A white van and two guys was all the guard reported.
    • CommentAuthorCanadaSteep
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2010 edited

^^^That sucks. Criminal negligence?
    In any case...they are eventually going to have to sell off all those bikes....
    Oh picked up and flipped through that novel in Toronto a few weeks ago.
    Great coffee table stuff.
    (@Silver Snail)
    • CommentAuthorb3pkay
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010

I once lived in a not so great but not horrible neighbor hood and moved a few blocks away to an apartment complex. It was winter so I wasn't in a hurry to take my bike from the "community" shed as I knew everyone that lived in the building and felt safe leaving it. A couple weeks go by and I stop in to grab my bike and it is gone. There was no one to blame but myself for leaving it unlocked and nothing I could do about it.

A few month go by and I'm walking from a friends building to my own and I see my bike locked to the fence along the stair way entrance to another building! There is no mistaking it, it was my mom's, an 1989 panasonic pt 4500, and I loved it. A person I knew was walking by and I'm freaking out "that's my bike! thats the bike that was stolen form ...." We deiced to knock on all the doors of the building, only 6 or 8, and see who had ridden it over so that I could speak with them. Only a few answer their doors and no one knows anything about the bike out front. The person I know is over the search and takes off. I call a friend saying "get over here and bring some power tools! i'm getting my bike back!"

While waiting for my friend I sit on the steps by my bike. It's locked with a masterlock combination lock and a light weight chain. I look on the back of the lock and the combination is scratched off but I can make out half of the first number and the second number. Say the first number was blank3, second number 36, last number totally gone... I start trying combinations, 13, 36 anything. 23, 36, anything. 33, 36, anything and suddenly the lock pops open! Without hesitation I undid the chain, freed my bike and locked the lock back up, heading home with my bike!

It's not over. I feel I deserve my property but also felt I needed to let the other person know I took it back for two reasons. One, I didn't want to be found on my own bike with someone else claiming it was theirs and stolen and two, I didn't want to get my @ss beat by some thug for stealing "his" bike. I ended up going back to the lock with a note explaining that the bike was mine, I have the original sales receipt from 1989, and I would gladly show it to them. Then I left my phone number.

The next day I receive a phone call by a very angry, loud, deep voiced gentleman demanding, "why you take my bike son? why you take my bike?" I explained that it was my bike. However he obtained it didn't matter to me, he was in possession of stolen property and it was mine. He claimed to have bought it from someone, I told him he needed to take that up with them, he said they moved. I offered to meet with him the next day to show him my receipt and he promised we would be meeting soon.... It must have slipped his mind. I never heard back from him and have spent two more years riding my bike around town with no problems. Never would have imagined.
    I put a personal branding on my tools, bikes, instrument etc. Something nearly unnoticeable until it is pointed out. If I were to come across my bike on the resale market I would follow the letter of the law. I would want no part of receiving stolen goods, felony theft, larceny or grand larceny. It would take a long time but in the end my ass would be covered from any and all possible legal backlash.
    • CommentAuthortbdrew
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2010

IS there a lojack for bikes? One that makes the chain come off the brakes lock up while sending us a location verified by GPS. The deal should also include a hand gun.
    How about an old school pager and a pillow case filled with door knobs?

I wouldn't doubt that there is some sort of tracking for bikes. I'd like to think that professionals use some sort of security system when not riding thier bicycles but then again who the hell knows.
    • CommentAuthorMcChris

Posted By: johnboysaysI wouldn't doubt that there is some sort of tracking for bikes. I'd like to think that professionals use some sort of security system when not riding thier bicycles but then again who the hell knows.

Considering how often Lance Armstrong's bikes are stole, I doubt it.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/10k-team-bike-stolen-from-lance-armstrongs-shop-24137
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/02/18/armstrong.bike/
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Lance is the only person who I have ever heard of who issued an open threat to whoever stole his bike and then had the bike returned. I wonder if he lets his bikes get stolen just to test his intimidation tactics.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.