velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthort0dk0n
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2008

I've been thinking of getting one of those heavy duty ass motorcycle chains because I reallllllllly don't want my vehicle to be stolen (but then again, I don't have $200+ for a lock 0_o). I don't really trust my onguard ulock. I've read that a lot of bike thieves carry around angle cutters that can split that open in two minutes. Its also pretty fucking assholish that these people even steal bikes, especially when its our main mode of transport for a lot of us. But then again, they don't know this... It seems like they think its just some game and we all ride our bikes for recreation. But who knows what they think, I just don't want my bike to be gone when I return to the post I left it. I do lock my bike up properly though, I take the front wheel off and move it to the back, locking both wheels, frame, and post together. But that still doesn't sit well in my stomach when I need to leave my bike somewhere for a while.

I know it's somewhat stupid to make my bike all nice and shiny, but why should any of us suffer the aesthetic of our machines just so some prick can't (possibly) steal it? I finally got my bike with all the heavy duty quality parts I've wanted on it, as well as had some fun and made a color scheme to go with it. So, I need a new way to lock my bike up and be a little less worried when I have to leave it for a few hours (shows, movies, doctor, etc). I've gotten in the habit to just bring my bike with me in most places that allow me so, but I also feel like I'm being inconvenient on most of these shop owners parts. At work and friends places, they let me keep it inside. I'm fortunate with all these offers, but I still rather be self dependent on a good lock.

So, the question is, do any of you use a special sort of lock? Any tips on locking your bike up better? Just use a ulock and swallow your pride every time you walk away? or Is it something else?
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2008 edited

Onguard mini u-lock with a cable for the wheels. I lock my bike up outside 5 days a week for 9 or 10 hours a day, knock on wood, no problems yet. U-lock through the top tube and rack or sign, cable through the wheels and I'm set
    • CommentAuthorMiles1200

i think a bike thief could cut through anything if he wanted to.. but if that motorcycle lock is impossible to cut, $200+ is cheaper than a new bike.
    • CommentAuthormeatroll

i don't even wanna think about how heavy that motorcycle chain must be. if you think your bike is so expensive that you would need a lock that costs almost $300, you shouldnt even be locking it up outside. if this is for your pake, no offense (my bike is similar value), but that's massively overkill.

as for me, i use a kryptonite evolution mini ($50) to lock the rear wheel through the rear triangle. this essentially locks the rear wheel and the frame. then i use a tiny ass cable lock ($10) to lock the front wheel to the saddle. this way i am keeping as many components safe as possible with 2 locks.

also i wanna say this: using a burly cable lock is useless. it will take a thief maybe a couple seconds longer to get through your 1/2" cable than it would my 1/8" cable, and the 1/8" cable is cheaper and much more compact.
    yeah lol that lock costs more than the Pake
    • CommentAuthort0dk0n
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2008 edited

Naw, its not really how much money I put into it, that's aside the matter, its more about having my ride home still in the place I left it. Especially if I were to park it in a shady area (there's tons of cases where I have to do such). But with the motorcycle lock, I was kind of over exaggerating, I rather have a chain lock made for bicycles. I searched around more on the same site and found they have a 12mm chain system for bikes that's probably no more than 6/7lb (its about $180, but as Miles1200 mentioned, it is cheaper than a new bike, regardless of how much you put into it).. If a thief sees the front wheel and wants to take it, he can pull out some small bolt cutters and get that snipped right away, unscrew the wheel, and bye bye. Its better to just lock your wheels and frame to a post with a little bigger ulock. You can always make a lock for your saddle to the frame using an old chain and tire tubing over it.

Note: My rear wheel cost more than the frame too :P.
    man for the price of that lock I would just set me up a lovely beater (I got mine for $30 with everything... even sold some parts and made it fixed... thinking about it I made like $5 on that bike) and then just lock it with an old kryptonite
    I originally set up my beater as a rain bike but I started really liking it now for tricks and even in the city (SF) as a commuter it feels good
    when it rains or I gotta lock it for awhile I take the beater and if you doin that everyday just build a beater that feels really good and rides like it

... that old chain to secure your saddle thing is like the oldest trick ever... but it works
    • CommentAuthorOtto Rax

i use a kryptochain i got at rei on a super clearance for $13. they can still be had cheap on ebay, and they are tough as crap. i dont hardly think about it once it's locked up, and that's been daily for about 2 years now. tips for security:

get the cable/chain/u as tight as possible. if it can't be manipulated to aid in cutting, thieves will often keep walking. leave a foot of slack dangling so they can maneuver and it's an easier target

lock up in a medium-heavy trafficked area. you can't really cut a medium-heavy duty lock in front of an audience

IMO
    • CommentAuthormeatroll

well, there's always the kryptonite fahgettaboutit chain.. the one you see people wrapping around their waist. $110.
    http://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesomewhere.cfm/product/357/3002/19927?g=1
    man you can cut them locks in front of a hundert people and the police and no one will say shit just go on you tube and check out the dude that steals his own bike on camera
    • CommentAuthorbuckydcxvi

kryptonite fahgettaboudit

noone is cutting through that
    i have one and have had no problems
    lock my rear wheel with a smaller ulock as well
    I use a wispy little helmet lock. Sometimes, I don't lock up at all.
    • CommentAuthorsixspeed
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2008

No lock.
    Kryptonite U-locks also come with a $1000 warranty if someone actually does break it and steal your bike. You just register it online. Pretty cool, imo. I love mine.
    • CommentAuthorwowzah
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2008

i like the fahgettaboudit mini u lock 18 mm thick, and it only weighs about 5 lbs, you can ebay it for around $60 and i think it might even be more effective than this crazy motor cycle lock option
    • CommentAuthorwowzah
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2008

if you haven't seen this article before, it's kind of cool. this guy tested a bunch of locks to see how long it would take to bust em'

http://www.slate.com/id/2140083
    Semen, nobody touches a bike covered in Semen!!
    there is a reason i have a beater and it looks terrible. get over your style points kids. if you're going somewhere that is prone of bike theft dont ride your concept or do but dont come crying when it gets stolen.

i tie up my beater with with an evo mini on the occasion that i park it outdoors. they are small and reliable. half the time my bike comes inside with me wherever i am going anyway. i have never had a store owner or friend bar me from bringing my bike inside.
    • CommentAuthorlatron
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2009

fahgettaboudit u-lock. chain is way too heavy; i'm not locking up a motorcycle, nor do I have one to carry the damn lock
    • CommentAuthorMAVERICK
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2009

i just got a kryptonite "New York Chain with Evolution series 4 Disc Lock" as a gift and it weighs 7 pounds. that is half the weight of my bike.
    i had a braided steel cable lock up untill the begining of the winter when i went to unlock it the cable had come loose out of the end bit. maybe it contracted in the cold? maybe it was a piece of shit? i forget what brand it was

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.