velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I'm using a prototype TiGr2 designed by Velospace user John Loughlin! We're working on branding and designing and expect to have a Kickstarter project up to get the first production run flying in a couple of months.

The things weighs nothing for the degree of protection it gives your bike — just a hair short of a pound, but made of titanium and kevlar in carefully selected shapes that are impossible to cut with anything short of industrial machinery. It straps right along the top tube and locks with this neat pushbutton lock thing (that we should probably name for when we're making the instruction sheet). It locks both wheels together without taking them off, too.

I'm really excited to be working on this project. It's a cool thing. If John lets me, I'll post some pics.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2010

Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanI'm using a prototype TiGr2 designed by Velospace user John Loughlin!

Doesn't matter what his real name is; what's his handle?
    He's SCI. I expect we'll be seeing him around here more in the coming months.
    Kryptonite Fahgettaboutit. Yeah the piece of shit is like 4 pounds but it is sturdy as fuck. Someone cut some of the rubber exterior off in what I would assume would be an attempt to cut the lock and once the rubber was removed I think they saw what they were up against and simply stole my 15 dollar saddle instead. Definitely worth it's weight if it saves my darling T1.
    Oh right, that lock.
    • CommentAuthoriliketoes
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2010

Cool idea for a lock... it would be something I'd definitely look into IF IT WORKS. What works for me nowadays is a standard Kryptonite U-Lock (one of the big ones) locking front wheel/main triangle together - let's you lock up to posts/trees/whatever that a mini couldn't dream of. Big downside is needing to carry it in a messenger bag anytime I ride. Oh, and it's heavy as shit.

I store my bike inside overnight at my house and have never had someone mess with the lock in other circumstances. Of course I'm concerned about someone cutting it, but the tools required are pretty conspicuous. Don't lock your flashy bikes outside in the dark, 'nuf said
    Posted By: swendsenwileyI just ordered one of these:
    http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=1879

wicked cheap but, hopefully it isn't junk.

It's ol junk. those are the ones you can open with a bic pen. Krypto exchanged these for the newer ones when they found out about the flaw... Don't know if they still do.
    Posted By: suicide_doorsOh right,thatlock.

Whoa! That looks a lot different than the one from the thread on here a while back. It's aero now!
    Yeah, it's really neat. We've been testing it and it should be ready to pitch in the near future.

Posted By: iliketoesCool idea for a lock... it would be something I'd definitely look into IF IT WORKS. What works for me nowadays is a standard Kryptonite U-Lock (one of the big ones) locking front wheel/main triangle together - let's you lock up to posts/trees/whatever that a mini couldn't dream of.

Just remember: it's the back wheel that's expensive to replace.

Big downside is needing to carry it in a messenger bag anytime I ride. Oh, and it's heavy as shit.

Yeah the TiGRx (the number refers to a part of the design, which is still shifting, so we don't know the number yet, or even if we'll use it) weighs one pound and straps hard to your frame. One design straps the lock cylinder to the frame, another leaves it attached to the key as a fob. The idea is to make it practical for people who don't want to carry a bunch of shit and care how much their bike weighs. I mean, a 20 lb. bike with a 4 lb. lock just gained 20%.

It's not impervious to attack, of course — nothing is — but it's being sent to a standards board to establish where it is on the crackable scale, and we have every reason to be enthusiastic.
    • CommentAuthorpolitburo
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2010

On a somewhat related note, do people have good/bad/whatever experiences with security skewers - axle nuts or the ones with the weird 3 hole key thing?
    • CommentAuthortypeDvorak
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2010

HA!
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2010 edited

Posted By: suicide_doorsHA!

BikesnobNYC posted the last bit of that video a few weeks back.

This looks like a tactic that will work, but only as long as there's almost nobody using it. Once it becomes more widely adopted, then you start getting into a lot of legal and infrastructure complications: What if there are eight bikes suspended in midair on the same lamppost? What happens if the first person doesn't run their bike up high enough to make space for those that come after? What if someone whose bike is mounted higher wants to get their bike back down, but the people with lower-mounted bikes haven't come back? You think streetside parking in major cities is bad...

Plus, there's the fact that the posts are usually owned by the township/city/county/state. What about damage to the posts? Who pays for that? If a bike falls out of its mounting and comes down and bashes a citizen in the head, then what? Is the bike owner liable, or is the city that's supposed to be maintaining the lampposts/sidewalks liable, or both?

If cyclists attempt to evade punishment for such things (or if the government decides that, hey, locking up bikes in midair suspended from the city's lampposts is not OK), will there be a Denver Boot for these locks, so that a cyclist can't simply grab their elevated vehicle and flee the scene? What would booting one bike do to the other bikes on the pole?

I admit, I would find this product easier to take seriously if the people making it didn't look like a cover spread from any urban scenester 'zine published in the last ten years, from any of five continents. I'll bet it's expensive.
    I'm pretty sure that's some dudes who made something awesome, not a commercial product.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanI'm pretty sure that's some dudes who made something awesome, not a commercial product.

Not yet, but the URL is a German nerd-gadgets-for-sale site.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

Eaglerock, sometimes i wonder about you...
    I'm not sure that reductio ad absurdam matters with a niche product like that, though. It's not like everyone's gonna have one.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.