velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorjms88278
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2010

So I've decided to go clipless finally. I've decided on time atac xs carbon pedals and am debating between several different shoes. Sidi Dominator 5's are one choice, but I've been looking into the 2010 Mavic Chasm shoes, though I can't find any reviews on them anywhere as they are relatively new. Does anyone on here have any experience with these shoes or any recommendations for any others? I've heard good things about the Mavic Fury shoes but I think that may be a bit more than I'd like to spend. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
    I hear Mavic shoes run large, so definitely fit a pair before you buy.
    I got a pair about several months back and absolutely love them compared to riding with clips. they do run a teeny bit large, but not enough so that you could pretty much just order the same size as you would with regular shoes and you'd be fine. I was somewhat off handly looking for a alternative to riding with clips and had wanted to be able to walk with clipless shoes so i opted for the mtb shoes and stumbled upon the mavic chasms online for a steal at $80 plus $10 shipping. So $90 for a $200+ shoe? Definitely a steal! And I gotta say I think I'll be sticking with these shoes until they fall apart and need to be replaced, they're that great. One of the great things I really like are the rubber sole grips and the carbon fiber sole, which provide great traction and even better stiffness for power transfer. I've read that on the other mavic shoes that also use the plastic buckle tightening system they tend to break, but so far i haven't come upon anything of that sort (and I was in an accident in them somewhat recently). If you can find a deal on them I'd definitely get them, but paying full price couldn't hurt either, I mean for the quality shoes you're getting. btw a simple google search would've provided you with this and this .
    I really like both pairs of Mavic shoes I ride with, The Fury and the Zxelliums. To be honest, I don't see really any difference between the Fury and the Chasm, besides color and 10g's weight difference.

I've heard bad things from the local messengers about Sidi shoes sole wearing out SUPER fast by walking, then the cleats are exposed and start to wear.

I wear an 11 in Van's slips-ons, and wear a 9.5 in the Mavic shoes.

The weird pull cords take some getting used too over velcro. At first, I did not like them, but they have given me no problems and work perfect.
    • CommentAuthorjms88278
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010

Posted By: morethanwords777I got a pair about several months back and absolutely love them compared to riding with clips. they do run a teeny bit large, but not enough so that you could pretty much just order the same size as you would with regular shoes and you'd be fine. I was somewhat off handly looking for a alternative to riding with clips and had wanted to be able to walk with clipless shoes so i opted for the mtb shoes and stumbled upon the mavic chasms online for a steal at $80 plus $10 shipping. So $90 for a $200+ shoe? Definitely a steal! And I gotta say I think I'll be sticking with these shoes until they fall apart and need to be replaced, they're that great. One of the great things I really like are the rubber sole grips and the carbon fiber sole, which provide great traction and even better stiffness for power transfer. I've read that on the other mavic shoes that also use the plastic buckle tightening system they tend to break, but so far i haven't come upon anything of that sort (and I was in an accident in them somewhat recently). If you can find a deal on them I'd definitely get them, but paying full price couldn't hurt either, I mean for the quality shoes you're getting. btw a simple google search would've provided you withthisandthis.

Yeah I saw those but I was looking to hear about them from a road riding perspective, not doing any mountain biking. That is why I ask though, because I have seen the chasm on sale in a few different places, for a significant deal. I have pretty small feet (size 9 to 9.5) too, and that's in Van's and Sambas. So if you downsize to a 9.5 in Mavic from a size 11 Van's, that might make me like a 8 or 8.5. Definitely going to have to try some of these on first.
    Depending on where you order them from, most places online will take exchanges in size. All you have to do is pay for return shipping.
    • CommentAuthorjaybird74

I recently picked up a pair of Chasms, which I use with ATACs on my track bike for street riding. I wear a 10.5 in street shoes...I'd say the Chasms (got a 10.5) run about a half size larger by comparison. But, it's already hot here so I'm wearing thin socks. I tried them on with my winter socks and they fit perfectly, so I'm good with that.
    They are super stiff and don't look too bad either. I read some complaints that they are very narrow, which they are. It really depends on your foot...the same holds true for Sidis. If you commute in them, the rubber soles are pretty quiet if you care about that type of thing. They have a memory foam tongue, so you can cinch down the buckle for a nice secure fit without pinching. Excellent power transfer.

My only complaint is that the durability of the buckle is definitely questionable, as was mentioned. They are the same design as Adidas' before they were discontinued, my Adidas buckle snapped. The attachment looks different...but I was able to get a DMT road buckle to work as a replacement on my Adidas.
    • CommentAuthorjms88278

Just bought a pair of the Chasms for 140 shipped. I tried on both a pair of the razors and the pulse in nine and they both felt great so I'm thinking (and hoping) the Chasms are about the same. I tried on some Sidi dominator 5's and wasn't really digging the feel of the fit or the traction on smooth surfaces. I also am not to fond of the little adjustment piece on the non-buckle side. Seems like it would annoyingly catch as you ride, but maybe that's just me. Totally excited to start clipless.

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.