velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorSloth
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2010 edited

http://www.leaderbikestore.com/pd-727tr-aluminum-track-frame.cfm

Step 1: Look at 725TR
    Step 2: Curve the downtubelolz
    Step 3: ????????????????
    Step 4: Profit

Why does this exist? Lets hear your opinion.
    Dave Hinde makes a nice track frame with a curved down-tube. MUCH nicer than this Leader. Not totally sure WHY the downtube is curved on his bike, but I can assume it's curved on the Leader for barspins.
    • CommentAuthortinj
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2010

It is definitely interesting. I'm not sure what the purpose of a curved downtube is, if there even is one besides aesthetics. Maybe its so you can fit an extra large front wheel on there, new age Penny-farthing? What does hydroformed top-tube mean? I have mixed emotions.

Final Answer "The bending downtube and hydroformed top tube sets this frame apart" just trying to be different.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

This bike exists because they found its specs in a maxway (or some other manufacturer) catalog and they thought they could make money selling it. They will import any bike thats cheap and flashy.
    • CommentAuthorzmill12

start the hate thread..............................................now.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

I especially like this part:

The rear break bridge is drilled for a brake if desired.

Ordinary civilians misspelling "brake" is one thing; it's annoying, but I'll live with it. Shouldn't a marketer/retailer know enough to spell it correctly, especially when they get it right later in the same sentence?
    • CommentAuthorBamfs01

I saw that too. Mind blowing.
    • CommentAuthorcqbfix
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2010

alright, this frame being aluminum. I doubt it is curved for barspins, because if you are barspinning and tricking on this frame you have problems. Leaders thick tubed frames are for street and track, there smaller tubed steel frames are made for tricking. and all of leaders trick bikes are under the category of TRK which is there trick series. and also if you look on the page it says track frame so why would you be tricking on this?
    They have made their 725tr geometry to clear for barspins lol

Why does this exist? Lets hear your opinion.

good question, u can either get the 725 or pay 10 extra bones for the righteous CuRvY downtube bro!!!
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2010

Curved downtube is 4 TEH BARSPINZ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111
    but built up, on IMUID, does it not loook good? I feel like if one is looking for a street ride, then what does it matter how the tube is shaped... bottom line is that the frames, performance and weight wise, are almost identical(725 and 727)... what do u think of the build itself... or if anyone has ridden one enlighten us :)
    Posted By: Theyokeman317but built up, on IMUID, does it not loook good? I feel like if one is looking for a street ride, then what does it matter how the tube is shaped... bottom line is that the frames, performance and weight wise, are almost identical(725 and 727)... what do u think of the build itself... or if anyone has ridden one enlighten us :)

dude its a fucking leader

might as well get a visp...
    Posted By: SkidMarkCurved downtube is 4 TEH BARSPINZ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111

LOLz
    • CommentAuthorjdiamond
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2010 edited

they are totally trying to copy GOrilla, but with aluminum. cause GOrilla is super cool and hip! SIKE!
    why the fuck, if your a trickster, hipster, would you buy an aluminum frame for barspins, especially a damn leader!
    i swear to you i have a friend that owns a leader and you can flex the downtube by squeezing it with your fingers, paper thin shit!

leader sucks! they have to pay people like massan to ride their shit cause no one else will.

i vote FAIL!
    ^ +1
    • CommentAuthorwyatt183
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2010

leaders SUCK MY DICK
    i have one, im fairly certain it wasn't designed as a trick frame. personally i think its kinda cool that its so different. leaders are good enough for daily beaters.

i will say this. the 725 and 727 have this retarded ass seatpost clamp design where you are supposed to grease the bolt and loosen and tighten it about 3-6 times before you install the seat post for the first time. Leader calls in breaking in the seatpost tube, which i think is fucked.

my first 727 did not come with these instructions, and having built enough bikes, just assumed that my seat post tube was improperly machined. i over torqued the bolt and subsequently the threads stripped on the frame.

basically Leader gave me a new frame, but didnt create a call tag for it, so i had to spend $50 to send it in and wait 2 weeks. I worked for a couple of years in the snowboard industry, and that shit would never happen with those dudes. most self-respecting compaines would issue a call tag for the damaged/defective frame and ship the new one out to you immediately.

im assuming thats just their policy or something, not to distract from the fact that their in house warranty guy Marcus was super cool about the whole thing. Anyway i have the new frame, and i installed the post according to their instructions and its all gravy.

i would definitely recommend leaders for your daily beater, but you could get an iro for around the same price. so i guess its all preference of how crazy you want your bike to look.
    • CommentAuthorSuperTimm
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2011

A curved downtube is for schock absorption.
    This feature is obviously useless in a velodrome, where the torsional rigidity of a straight, cylindrical (perfectly round cross-section) downtube is of far more use!
    However, I don't see many racers (other than sponsored riders) using Leader frames on the track... but in the real world, these are making their way into the urban landscape, where shock absorption is of some very practical use, especially with aluminum frames.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.