velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthordeermatt
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2010

no , its totally safe not using a lock ring . If you tighten the cog with a chainwhip, it will stay on there. Being that theres never back pressure, theres nothing to loosen the cog . Most guys at the track don't even have a lockring tool in their tool kit .
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

thats interesting. I knew my dura ace NJS lockring was just a ploy to make 11.99 dollars off of fixed gear riders! I personally hate dealing with lockring removal (could be my tendency to over tighten, or the fact that I have a lockring-chainwhip-bottle opener tool...again, "for the fixed gear riders"), so I am sure people on the track only see it as adding stress to their routine.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

most lock rings are njs stamped, so I assume Japanese keirin riders have to use them, but not here. When your at the track, you may switch your cog 2 times and chainring 2-3 times in a day, a lock ring just makes things take longer .
    So the only reason you don't ride a lock ring, is to make it faster to change your cog?
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2010 edited

I dont know about this no lockring business. In my very limited experience riding track I have seen a few races come to a nearly complete stop. I think a lockring on a track is similar to a seat belt. 99% of the time you wont need it but that 1% when you do need it and dont have it, youre f'ed.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2010 edited

Posted By: wes m.I dont know about this no lockring business. In my very limited experience riding track I have seen a few races come to a nearly complete stop. I think a lockring on a track is similar to a seat belt. 99% of the time you wont need it but that 1% when you do need it and dont have it, youre f'ed.
    when they come to a dead stop (in match sprints) they're usually going <10mph to begin with. at adt, they recommend not using a lockring.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2010

Some of the top riders in the country , including more than one 2012 US olympic contender , Marty Nothstein (only US olympic gold metal cyclist) , his coach Giddy and several other big names all ride the track I ride.. Not one person uses a lockring . The first time I asked around for a lockring tool, they laughed , one of the top mechanics told me to throw it away cause literally no one uses one . On the street, use one 100% , on the track you just dont need one .
    Thank God! Now I can save an extra 16 grams off my bike. Sweeeeet.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

It has nothing to do with weight savings ... they just arnt really needed
    ;-) I was joking. C'mon now!
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

you are kind of a weight weenie though :)
    It's hard not to be, being involved with cycling today. They drill the whole lightweight thing into your head. It's unavoidable. I'm as much of a sucker for it as anyone else, even though I can attest to it being pretty irrelevant for track racing.
    • CommentAuthorheadphone

how much was the custom frame + powder?
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

the frame , edge carbon fork, and powder coat was 2100.00
    • CommentAuthorcyciumx

Beautiful, but why pics of an Easton instead of the color matched Deda?
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

I got the deda's color matched, but after riding each, I liked the look and feel of the eastons more. I shot the pictures as how it will be at the track, and the eastons are just a better bar.
    • CommentAuthorzmill12

there is absolutely not one negative thing that can be said about this bike, in my opinion. phenomenal.
    amazing bike, deermatt. thanks for sharing!
    • CommentAuthorbillysan
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2010

Utterly stunning, thankyou for sharing.
    look at those curved chainstays! beautiful! all around awesome build!

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.