velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorKevin Lee
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2010

i usually ride on the top of my drop bars and i wonder if this is a good or bad idea?
    I just did something similar but with open-ended track grips I found for cheap on Ebay.
    It makes sense and it's comfortable/practical.

Do it and then show us the pictures.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

never ever ever ever .... wrap your bars with some deda or fizik tape , it will look a lot better .
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

• CommentAuthorBamfs01

Only because you asked; good lord no! Use bar tape or cork.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

Posted By: wes m.

hipster.
    Looks schmooks!

Haha.
    But really, do whatever. If you're going for good looks- you're already on a site with kazillions of good-looking bikes, look at them and see what you want to do.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

I think the grip-on-top look is old enough now to be retro.

Get some cork tape and wrap the whole bar except for maybe an inch at the top for a light or a brake lever.
    Posted By: deermattnever ever ever ever .... wrap your bars with some deda or fizik tape , it will look a lot better .
    • CommentAuthorkaido_k
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2010

wes m. do you have a side shot? Kinda curious about the transition to hoods on those bars.
    • CommentAuthore-unit

tape/gripless ftw. CHROME
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Posted By: kaido_kwes m. do you have a side shot? Kinda curious about the transition to hoods on those bars.

Nope. I stole that picture off google images.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

I can't imagine the transition is very comfortable. And e-unit, please don't give people bad advice. It makes you look like an idiot.
    Posted By: the rabbiI can't imagine the transition is very comfortable. And e-unit, please don't give people bad advice. It makes you look like an idiot.

thank you, uncomfortable and tacky especially if you don't take care of the chrome and it gets spotty.
    • CommentAuthorKevin Lee

thanks for the comments. my current road drop bars are completely wrapped with a comfy comfy
    • CommentAuthorKevin Lee

gel cork tape. i saw the cut oury grips on some beater bikes in the city and i thought it look cool but the more i think about it. the more it makes sense to wrao my bars completely. i want to eventually upgrade to some soma 456 track bars but i will wrap it the traditional way now. ;)
    • CommentAuthorcyciumx

Just extend further up and You'll have your comfort and your looks.

...prolly want something other than pink though...
    • CommentAuthorjayohachen
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2010

I say you try it out. If you have friends with that set up, ask to ride it. If not, set it up on your own bike. If you like it, keep it. If not, change it back. You won't really know until you find out for yourself. It's just 15 bucks and you'll get experience wrapping your own bars if you switch back.

Personally, I like full wrap.
    • CommentAuthorgchain

no wrap man. feel the bike :)
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

Posted By: gchainno wrap man. feel the bike :)

coming from someone with a leader.. with risers with champ grips , and a colored chain..

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.