velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorMaxThrash
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2010

I'm looking for a first road bike. Will be used for commuting and training. I'm a beginner, and have never done any training. I saw this the other day and am very curious: http://cgi.ebay.com/TREK-1100-55cm-GLACIAL-BLUE-ROAD-BIKE-/170478801583?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item27b15412af

What do people think? The price seems right. Seems like it gets reviewed pretty well on the few mentions I found through google. Anyway, opinions? Will it suit my purposes? One guy on bike forums said it was heavy "by today's standards." Will that matter to a beginning trainer like myself?
    • CommentAuthorMcChris
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2010

I have a 1993 Trek 1100 I bought new as a college freshman. I would not recommend it for someone new to cycling. It is rather heavy; the steel frames of today are lighter my aluminum 1100. Another concern is that I think those early aluminum frames are kind of fussy. Instead of being welded together, the old Trek frames are "bonded" or glued together with epoxy. I would be reluctant to lock it up on a public rack on a regular basis, since at the time, I was told that aluminum couldn't handle stresses the frame wasn't designed for.

That price is about what I would ask for my 1100, but I wouldn't expect to sell it for that. I guess my advice would be to look for a steel frame from around the same vintage, mostly because aluminum was kind of beta at that time.
    • CommentAuthorper.k

when would you say the standard for aluminum was up to par for most companies McChris?
    • CommentAuthorMcChris

Per.k, I'm not an expert on frame materials, but I wouldn't buy a bonded aluminum frame like that Trek. Cannondale's frames were welded at that time (and earlier), which is partly why they were such prized frames. I do remember hearing about C'dale frame failures back then, too. Aluminum is more brittle than steel generally, so it's not a good bet compared to steel used.
    • CommentAuthorper.k
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2010

true true, used aluminum does seem a bit sketchier. For some reason I;ve just been kinda wanting a early to mid-90's trek road bike. In your opinion you think something like Cannondale or maybe a italian brand would be better for the same era?? Understand if you don't know or care, just curious
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2010

Cannondale is a fine bet if you're looking for aluminum frames of any era.

I built up a friend's '92 Trek 1100 and it seems to be a good frame. I wouldn't doubt it's integrity and I believe that even if you were to have a frame failure Trek has a lifetime warranty. If it's in your price range and size, go take a look at it, ride it and make your decision based upon how you then feel about it.
    Used aluminum is fine.
    Still cranking my Trek 1100 bought for a bargain in '94 (may be a '93).

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.