velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorbillysan
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2010

I want to give speedplay pedals a go on my track bike. Ive read that the speedplay cleat to 3 hole adapters are the week link with the pedal so would prefer to get some specific shoes. Im struggling though as every shoe maker I can think of only seems to make 3 hole (look style) soled shoes!

Can anyone suggest some please? Not so bothered my make, but must be carbon soled and fasten with ratchet straps.

Thanks
    • CommentAuthorbdawe

Your weak link has not been a problem for me on Shimanos or Sidis. Have you looked at what you're talking about? Take a peek at someone's setup.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

There are no 4 bolt road shoes.
    Posted By: the rabbiThere are no 4 bolt road shoes.

au contrair!
    My pair of specialized elite road shoes are drilled for three and four bolt systems. I'm currently running shimano spd mountain cleats on them for spin classes.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

That's 2(mtn) and 3(road). I stand by my statement saying there are no road shoes with a 4 hole configuration. Speedplay is the only company I know of that uses the bolt pattern mentioned.
    ..............YO YO YO' MY ADIDAS, I SPORT UM FRESH YO!
    Posted By: the rabbiThat's 2(mtn) and 3(road). I stand by my statement saying there are no road shoes with a 4 hole configuration. Speedplay is the only company I know of that uses the bolt pattern mentioned.

I'm pretty certain there are four holes for bolts to go in on the shoes. Am i wrong to assume that is a four hole configuration? Or do they have two different positions for two bolt patterns?
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Those are two different positions for the spd cleat. Speedplays use a base that is about 2"x3" with a screw at each corner. That attaches to another plate that is drilled for a look compatible shoe.
    that is so strange. why would they do that?
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Like so...

• CommentAuthorthe rabbi

The way their cleat interfaces with the pedal does not work with a 3 hole design.
    • CommentAuthorgchain

I've run and mounted numerous speedplay cleats to the adapter and to shoes. They're not weak by any means. Give it a shot, and the worst that may happen is the cleat may break free(under alot of pressure) from the adapter. Big deal, new plastic adapters and away you go. unless you're riding super hard(which you should use traps for anyway) they're pretty tough. +1 for the specialized elite road shoe. Those are two completely different mount points for spd's and regular cleats.
    • CommentAuthorbillysan
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2010

I'll try em on my shimanos then maybe. I say week link because Ive read in a few different places now that have said the 4-3 bolt adapters are a bit soft, the nuts have a habit of pulling out of the plastic it seems.

Also why would speedplay make a point of stating a different weight and stack height for their pedals when used with 4 hole shoes if none existed?
    • CommentAuthorilnn
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2010

i think bont is...making/has made/or it may possibly be available already... 4 bolt speedplay cleat system specific shoe. if you think that it's worth the money for the millimeter stack height difference and a few grams less weight, go for it..
    • CommentAuthorbillysan
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2010

Its not the stack height that was my reason for asking, it was that I had read how various people have had the 4-3 bolt adapter plates fail on them.

Just found these too:
    http://www.lakecycling.com/cx330c-speedplay-p-2733.html

Speedplay specific Lakes.
    • CommentAuthorkaaos
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2010

Bont shoes have option of 4 hole version for Speedplay pedals.
    I choose to go with 3 hole + adapter on my Bont shoes just in case I change my mind one day about Speedplay pedals. But after riding with them for a while I am thinking that I made mistake... Speedplays are so good.

With standard 3 hole + adapter you have more choice of fine tuning a pedal position, you can move cleat position front, back, left and right. Where with 4 hole you can move cleats only from left to right for about 6mm, front to back adjustments are impossible.
    • CommentAuthorelhephe
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2010

lake makes some really nice shoes that are either delta or speedplay specific, they don't have rachet straps but they do have a really nice boa system. A bunch of guys out at the track that I ride have them and they seem to be great shoes for around 200 bucks.
    • CommentAuthortruthruth
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2011 edited

"There are no 4 bolt road shoes. "

just found this through google and thought I'd correct the rabbi. oy vay, how can you be so declarative when you're wrong? there are several road shoes that are speedplay specific 4-bolt (which was the old Time config). off the top of my head there's two DMT models the Prisma and Radius. Adidas does, too. Lake also makes at least, too, the 401 and 201. As mentioned bont (more a boutique producer) does several shoes in 4 as does Rocket 7. all those are current model shows and have been available for years. not sure these others are still produced but carnac, northwave, look and some others i'm blanking on made (or still make) 4 bolters.

to the rabbi's partial defense speedplay are stone stupid for not clearly marketing these shoes so other companies will be forced to cater to 4-bolters. you'd never glean this info from speedplay's overcomplicated website (and pdfs). there are three main reasons to buy speedplay over other systems: weight, stack height and cornering. with the exception of the last, you are wasting the weight and stack height advantages by using the 3-bolt adapter and may as well use another system.
    they make adapters for everything

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.