velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

As many of you may know, I've been dealing with Guerciotti Bikes for the past FIVE months, trying to get them to replace a brand new Scratch Pista frameset that had a manufacture defect of the headtube welded on at the wrong angle so that the front wheel would hit the downtube of the frame. Even changing the fork to a huge rake would not fix the problem. The frame is 100% useless to ride.

Here is the link to how everything went down and pictures of the old bike -
    https://velospace.org/forums/discussion/1869/1/defective-guerciotti-scratch-pista-build-thread-and-the-problems-dealing-with-their-company/

So, Guerciotti FINALLY came through and I received a box from them in the mail today, shipped from Italy. I was expecting to open it up and find another Scratch 58cm frame with the defective headtube...but much to my surprise, that's not what they sent.

Instead, this is what I ended up with... a Guerciotti Shadow, size XL. Totally not what I was expecting, but hmm...okay. However, BIG PROBLEM...the frame they sent is not even CLOSE to an 58cm frame. The top tube is about 55cm, and the stand over is about 30.5. The Scratch frame was a 58cm top tube and 34" stand-over. So, as you can guess...the frame is WAAAAY to small for. My girlfriend who is 5' 2" and rides a 49cm Fuji Track can stand over this XL frame perfectly! Even with a 350mm long seat post, inserted only 1-2 inches into the seat tube does not even get the seat high enough for me.

So...after putting up with Guerciotti for the past 5 months, they send me the WRONG frameset in the WRONG size. Just my luck! There is NO WAY I'm going to be able to deal with them anymore and exchange the frame for the correct size, or correct frame...so basically....I'm going to put it up for sale/trade. It's a really nicely made frame and super light, but it's closer to a 54-56cm frame.

*Sigh*
    • CommentAuthorFeFst
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2010

Ah Ha. That sucks a fat one. This new frame looks a lot more ugly then the red one. Sorry to hear that.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Aww man, I'm sorry. You went to all that trouble and you still got f-ed in the end. Hopefully you can get your money back when you sell it. Is the shadow the direct replacement of the scratch?
    It looks nicer than the stock pictures for sure, damn sucks to hear they give you another frame that is useless for you.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Not to be a dick, but do you automatically chop the steerer tube on every bike you get?
    Posted By: the rabbiNot to be a dick, but do you automatically chop the steerer tube on every bike you get?

I actually did not cut this one down. It has a large FSA top cap and one small spacer. I was almost about to put my flush profile hiddenset on there, and cut it down abit, but left it.

But yeah...usually I do cut down my fork steerer tubes flush, because I have really long arms and a short torso, so riding super deep drops just feel the best to me. Riding this bike, I seriously could not get stretched out enough, it was so small. My legs were cramped, my arms were cramped. So I put on my longest seatpost and longest stem...but that was still not nearly enough.

Anyway...yeah, the frame is a lot nicer than the stock pictures online.

The Shadow is Guerciotti's only track frame and the Scratch is discontinued. This frame has a few nice features that the Scratch did not like, like cut away, recessed seat tube for the rear tire, a gusset under the downtube at the headtube, and larger/thicker dropouts and a improved seat-clamp. Also a semi-aero, teardrop shaped downtube.

If anyone is interested in this frame, let me know.
    • CommentAuthorBamfs01

Sorry man
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

Man, that steerer tube came that short ? thats crazy . Also ,what is that weird piece attached to the downtube right near the head tube ?
    thats the gusset
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

for what ? I dont see its purpose
    I dont know im not the company who designed this frame and have the worst customer service but I guess to make frame stronger and reenforce lol
    I'm not certain this was the exact fork for this size frame. They may have pulled a smaller fork from a smaller model to include, since it came separate from the frame, and it's not the one you see pictured in the all the stock pictures online. Either way, it's actually a nicer fork than what came on the Scratch.

The gusset under the headtube is to add strength. Why it's added to a track bike, I don't know. They are most common on BMX bikes, where they are very important, because jumping steps and such puts a huge stress right under the headtube. I actually cracked a Volume BMX frame in that exact spot back in my BMX days.
    If thats the XL I can imagine the small
    Yeah, seriously, right? The XL, in my opinion is more like a medium. It's basically a 55cm.
    It would look like a BMX bike with the gusset hahaha
    I'm sure you'll understand when I say that your troubles with Guerciotti are totally hilarious.

Your GF can stand over that frame? How long is the TT?
    All I can say is, "WOW."

Just following this saga has been impossibly frustrating; I can't imagine how you must feel.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Well, at least you got something before Italy's economy completely collapses and Guerciotti ceases to exist. I think I speak for everyone when I say that this outcome is not surprising. Lame.
    Posted By: suicide_doorsYour GF can stand over that frame? How long is the TT?

The top tube is 55cm, center to center.

The top tube on my GF's 49cm Fuji Track is 52cm.

That is not much a difference in size, figuring were comparing nearly the smallest size Fuji frame, to nearly the largest size of this frame. These frames run very small. Haha.

Anyway...yeah, it is hilarious! I've never dealt with so much BS in my life!

If I did not curse this company to hell, and granted the frame fit me, this would be an awesome frameset to sport on the track. I'm just going to sell it and someone, that fits the bike properly, and they will be super happy I'm sure.
    my condolences man, that totally blows.

moral of the story: don't do business with dirty italians. or guerciotti for that matter.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.