velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorMaxThrash
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2010

I'm looking to start training to race on the track next season (I've never even been on a velodrome before), and was wondering if using a stationary bike for training was acceptable or if I have to buy rollers? I live in Chicago and there's not really anywhere to get up to and maintain high speeds. There's a Lemond Revmaster at my gym, and rollers get expensive fast.
    Have you thought about getting a nice trainer offa CL for ~80 bucks? i think that would be better than a stationary bike.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

A stationary bike is about resistance and rollers are about cadence/balance/smoothness. Ideally you would have both. Its hard to suggest one or the other because its apples and oranges. I'd suggest getting some traveltrac rollers for $100ish and then using the stationary bike at your gym. This, of course, is still no substitute for actual track or road time.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

Ideally, you want a rear wheel trainer , and a set of rollers. Like Wes said, you use your trainer for high resistance , and the rollers for balance , working on your stoke, and you utilize your full upper body to balance . Also, because the rollers have very little resistance , its good for spinning out, and learning to keep your butt on the saddle in high candence .

For what its worth , 90% of track riders train on a road bike , consider that instead of the rollers + trainer .
    • CommentAuthorMKE_BIKE

There's a velodrome in kenosha you could train at int the summer at least
    I would just start hitting the velodrome on the practice workout nights. Those guys will really help you.

Secondly, to be successful with track, you need to include weights into your program as well. I alternate working out each morning, doing a stationary bike at the gym 3 days a week, then the other three days I have some basic dumbbell weights at home for doing lower body one more, upper body 2 days later, then lower body 2 days later. Legs are most important, obviously, so doing things like squats, dead-lifts and lunges, as well as calf raises will be what really helps you.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010

Things you should do:
    1. Get/ride rollers: leg speed/smoothness is crucial
    2. Ride a trainer/spin bike: resistance will help build power. Leg speed + power = fast.
    3. Start a weight regimine: t1 already said it, but it goes along with power.
    4. Start a riding program: you should be on a schedule for 5-6 days of riding a week. Those days can include you roller and trainer/spin bike days, but on road time is more important. Once a week, go get lost for 4+ hours to build your indurance.
    5. Get a road bike: training on track bikes only kinda sucks unless you're on a track.
    6. Learn to listen to your body: maybe buy a cycling computer with heart rate + cadence
    • CommentAuthorMaxThrash
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010

Thanks for all the great advice!

I wrote to Kevin at the Northbrook Velodrome to see if it was too late to get involved in their Mon/Tues night classes, but he hasn't gotten back to me. I'm starting to think I should just start training and shoot for track action next year. I used to ride all day as a bike messenger, but now I just commute, so I think I just need to focus on basic training. Can you folks recommend any good books or internet resources for training? Especially for track?

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.