velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Hey guys, I recently got myself a leader 725 '10 model and I am having problems with the seat clamp holding the seat post. Ive tried to tighten it down nice and tight, but stripped my allen wrench (2 as a matter of fact) and have tried different seat posts. So they then they sent me a new bolt, but the seat still swivels. I emailed them again and now I am just waiting for them to respond.

Has anyone else had this problem and/or have a solution to this problem?
    ...I'm getting some new wheels in soon and I am hoping to get this resolved before they come in.

Thanks guys.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2010 edited

.. the saga continues!

Nothing useful to add. Sorry to hear about the problems you're having with such a reputable frame butcher :\
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2010

Dumb question but... You are positive you have the right size seatpost, correct?
    Yes! once again, my brothers '10 leader 725 had the same problem. I tightened the bold down super tight but it still was to loose. Then when I went to loosen it up it stripped. I haven't done anything about it yet, I'm planning on taking it to my lbs to deal with because i cant get the stripped bolt out. Let me know what the outcome with yours is!
    And yes my brother is using a 27.2 thomson
    Posted By: sfbee.. the saga continues!

QFT. No one even tries to defend Leader anymore. Sad.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

its a leader..
    • CommentAuthorChipp

my seatpost tube was crooked from the rest of the frame and the clamp wouldnt secure properly on my 2009 725. called chris at leader, they sent out a new frame the next day with a leader seatpost free of charge. the new frame was real straight and the leader post worked perfect. ran the frame for a few months and got rid of it for a GTB. you gotta call them though if you want to get the matter resolved quickly
    yes a 27.2, tried multiple seat posts too.
    Posted By: Chippcalled chris at leader, they sent out a new frame the next day with a leader seatpost free of charge. the new frame was real straight and the leader post worked perfect. ran the frame for a few months and got rid of it for a GTB. you gotta call them though if you want to get the matter resolved quickly

This is all well and good, and good for them for backing up their fucked up product with one which is not. But the issue isn't CS, it's releasing a defective (and potentially dangerous) product into the market, then going and doing it again a year or two later. Good CS doesn't make up for good quality control.
    alright thanks
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Posted By: suicide_doors
    Posted By: Chippcalled chris at leader, they sent out a new frame the next day with a leader seatpost free of charge. the new frame was real straight and the leader post worked perfect. ran the frame for a few months and got rid of it for a GTB. you gotta call them though if you want to get the matter resolved quickly

This is all well and good, and good for them for backing up their fucked up product with one which is not. But the issue isn't CS, it's releasing a defective (and potentially dangerous) product into the market, then going and doing it again a year or two later. Good CS doesn't make up for good quality control.

This is a major liability issue isnt it? The drop outs (track ends, whatever) made for a crappy bike but they werent inherently dangerous. This seatpost issue could actually hurt someone.
    OMG it is weird u said that because just tonight iwas on a ride and the same thing happened to my friend... also why does everyone seem to have a goddam leader. I went riding with some dudes that practically all rode leaders, they are from a reputable bike shop and its like wtf why are u riding a leader
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: FixedGearFixOMG it is weird u said that because just tonight iwas on a ride and the same thing happened to my friend... also why does everyone seem to have a goddam leader. I went riding with some dudes that practically all rode leaders, they are from a reputable bike shop and its like wtf why are u riding a leader

$259.

It would appear that, for certain people, that's reason enough.
    thats what one of the guys had, but the other had like TRK's

and like i said before they are like a reputable bike store and these guys were on their team and work in the shop
    From my understanding, the folks at Leader know how to win over riders -- with free shit.
    I have a Thomson 27.4 Elite you can try out. I will sell it for cheap. Brand new.
    Hey guys, I fixed it!

Was talking with one of my buddies from IMD and he told me to just torque it and remembered from what leader bikes said, which was to tighten down the seat clamp without the seat post.

So what I did was get a decent allen wrench keyset (cause both of the old one I had got stripped), then I took the seat post out and and started tightening away..You really have to tighten the damn thing till the ends of the clamps are literally touching each other. After that, loosen it up and your seat post shouldn't really fit because the metal on the seat clamp got pushed together, so jam the seat post in a little to loosen the metal clamps and it should then slide in fine. Re-tighten the seat clamp nice and tight again it should not move at all.

The key for me what a decent allen wrench I bought from Lowe's because it the previous ones I've had were from products that came with it.

Hope this helps guys!
    • CommentAuthordeermatt
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2010

If it was me , I'd return the frame. You shouldn't need to do that . Their quality control is at the very bottom of the totem poll .
    Posted By: deermattYou shouldn't need to do that.

Seriously, that is not an adjustment that should be necessary for an end user to perform on a new frame. What I wonder is how loose the seat post was in the tube before you bent the cutout together.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.