velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I've been wanting to ride a fixed gear, even before this fad started and I just never had the money until now. So I'm wondering how to build from scratch. I know what's needed in the bike, i just need to know what type of material i need and the cost.
    This is what I want in my fixed gear(w/o colors);
    T-Bar or Bullhorn handles
    Uphill bike riding, yet able to control my legs going downhill.
    and tricking.

Suggestions? Please?
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2010

So basically you need to know everything? Give us a little more to start with. Do you already have a road bike you are trying to convert? Are you buying new or used? Whats your budget? Are you new to fixed or new to bikes?
    yeah, pretty much. i need a bike guru. I've been asking all the bike shops down at hb..atleast the ones who make fixies and stuff; They don't know much

They're just there for the jobs.

Anyways, I have 270$ on me, which isn't much but maybe ...hopefull enough to buy a frame?

No, I think I might start from scratch since im building a trick fix.
    New or Used parts are fine for me.

I'm new to fixed gears, and bikes.. i just don't know much about them. I've been riding a dyno for a few years now as my transportation. lol.
    • CommentAuthorcjpark86
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2010

a good strong frame thats good for commuting and tricking is an EAI Bareknuckle you can probably get one used off of CL. There are some trick forks you can look into the Fu Manchu fork is a good one
    I can't tell you how important it's gonna be to buy used parts. Someone else is gonna get all juicy over their new aero bars and chuck their Performance bullhorns up on Ebay for ten bucks, someone else will decide to go for a Phil bottom bracket for no good reason and you'll pick up their Shimano for another tenner.

Be flexible with what you want, and make sure that parts you get are compatible with commonly found parts. Don't get anything from Raleigh from before 1990 until you're much more confident than you sound, and don't get anything French, Swiss, or Italian without asking here first. Stick to parts from the 80s and later in general.

You're gonna have a great time! Start a thread to keep a journal of your build progress! We love to see those.
    If your budget is only $260 at the moment, I'd advise to keep saving your money and make sure you hunt your local craigslist daily.

Based on your criteria (mostly on the fact that you want to trick), I would recommend a Volume Cutter frame with their Fu Manchu fork. The frames are a dime a dozen on craigslist, and you should be able to find one in your price range. The fork, however, may take some looking around for and will definitely add the the value of the frame. The Fu Manchu fork allows the front 700c (standard road bike size) wheel to clear the downtube for bar spins. The frame was also designed to be commuted and tricked on.

Josh is correct, and most of the used parts people will be selling on craigslist that you'll probably be looking for will be parts that have no problems, the seller just wants to upgrade to something not necessarily better, but more expensive and flashier.

You have much to learn; embrace that! But please, use the search function on the forums for any more information you may have concerning your build. If you can't find what you're looking for, one of these nice gentleman (ladies?) will help you.
    Hahah, thanks everyone. I'll certainly update my bike progression; and yeah im trying to save up more money for the bike...I'm selling candy at school LOL.
    Posted By: TRICKonmyTRACKa good strong frame thats good for commuting and tricking is an EAI Bareknuckle you can probably get one used off of CL. There are some trick forks you can look into the Fu Manchu fork is a good one

eai bareknuckle is uhm.. not available in frame ..format? in my area. Lol

People are only selling the bikes, and there's only 2 sellers; 1500$
    Uhm, I found a "trick" frame, which i wouldn't really know.. i just looked it up but.. here's what's on it for 200$;

56 Black Frameset Great for tricking
    White Straight fork clears barspins 700c
    Decals removed, stickers added
    White KMC Chain
    Headset
    Seatpost
    Seatclamp
    44T Crankset
    • CommentAuthors3l1n4
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2010

YEAH OKAY.
    I would never use a Bareknuckle to trick they're too nice for that.
    Posted By: TRICKonmyTRACKa good strong frame thats good for commuting and tricking is an EAI Bareknuckle

Worst suggestion ever! You have never even ridden a EAI Bareknuckle so how would you know this? Ugh.
    • CommentAuthorquidose

^^HAHAH! I've been waiting for you to chime in since I first saw that comment. I knew it'd be something to that effect.
    Posted By: steezylisticHahah, thanks everyone. I'll certainly update my bike progression; and yeah im trying to save up more money for the bike...I'm selling candy at school LOL.

Really? Thats pretty cool, i know two people to do that, my friend sells his home - made gummy bear's with cool aid recipe and the other one just buys candy from costco for like $5 for 25 bars and sells them for $1 each
    I don't know what to really recommend for a frame specifically because the fixie tricking thing isn't my bag, but I can tell you that $200 is pretty steep for a used frame when so many frames will do.
    • CommentAuthorzmill12

any frame that's under $300 (new) probably isn't worth riding, let alone tricking on. make sure you go for a steel frame and not an aluminum one also, especially if you want to trick.
    eighth inch frame sets are $150 and great for tricking.
    Can someone clarify which is the best advice to take? -__-

Cause here I have someone recommending an eai bareknuckle frame..and this guy saying eight inch frame sets for 150$

... What do i get.. specifically right now.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: steezylisticCause here I have someone recommending an eai bareknuckle frame

Dont trust that guy

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.