velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorYoked
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2009

has anyone looked into this U-PICK "fixie. does anyone know anything about the quality of a rig like this?

http://www.republicbike.com/default.asp

looks like a good way to get into the sport IMO.
    It's a bike. For your first bike, it would start you off.

Probably the biggest thing I worry about on that bike is the crank length if you are riding it fixed. 165mm is standard crank size for track bikes. 170mm is getting a tad longer, and 175mm, in my opinion...is too long. It's dangerous if your taking corners because you risk the pedal hitting. They should be putting shorter cranks on the bike, as I doubt it has a high bottom bracket.
    I second that. Seems like a pretty sweet deal, and pedal strikes suck. Nice bike though.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2009

its high ten steel. and this thread feels like a plug.
    • CommentAuthorwowzah
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2009 edited

while these bikes are probably junk
    i am still amazed they are able to sell them so custom at $349
    there has to be some sweat shop involved
    just getting all the right custom selected parts built up in a box is a tough business model
    yet the cost is similar to a mass produced ebay bike
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2009

If it is hi-ten steel go to your local Performance Bikes and pick up a SE Lager or SE Draft - they weigh about 40 pounds
    • CommentAuthoro_O
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2009

Posted By: gregIf it is hi-ten steel go to your local Performance Bikes and pick up a SE Lager or SE Draft - they weigh about 40 pounds

The Lager is 4130, and a decent bike.
    The Draft is the HI-10 shitstorm.

My biggest concern when i first saw these bikes was the wheel set. Paired=bitch wheels
    • CommentAuthorZachAttack
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2009

I have one of the bikes. I was really excited when I got it but realized within the first week that there were obvious problems.
    The Frame is sturdy but a little on the hefty side. I got into a crash the second day I had it and it held up really well.
    The wheel set is a concern, I'd eventually upgrade to a set of Weinmann DP 18's or Velo's. The rear hub is flip/flop so it's great for a starter fixie.
    The pedals are crap, you should immediately get some MKS's with straps.
    Handlebars are a little long for my liking but good for nervous kids starting out.

I got this as a long term project bike, hopefully I'll eventually switch out most of everything. Replacing the fork with a carbon one should lessen the weight a bit. It's a pretty bike and despite it's faults, I love her. It'll be a great ride someday I just have to pick and choose my battles as I'm in college and poor. For the esteemed messenger; I don't suggest this ride. Yet, for a beginner fixie rider or someone who wants a colourful project, this is it.
    • CommentAuthorZachAttack
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2009

One more thing. They didn't put rim tape in, I suggest you do that first. I already had to replace the tubes twice. Get some gator skins or armadillo tires aswell, being these are thin as hell.
    dang. thanks for all the advice guys. i was one click away from buying this bike. i was given a fixie as a gift and now i am in love and want to share that love with my gf. hard to find an affordable track i guess.

oh, and i should mention, though i am new to fixies- i really want to do it for life.. i'm not a poser, sitting on the curb in my v-neck and high-riding messenger bag. i have freinds who are serious messengers and i would not even for a second, pretend to be as awesome as they are. hope you guys won't immediately judge me as a bandwagonner.
    • CommentAuthorzmill12
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2009

you can always just build your own too. you can find excellent frames, if not whole bikes for about $20 if not free a lot of times. you'll have to do some work to them seeing as they are usually 10 speeds, but then you'll know your bike inside and out. that's what i did. i went into it with almost zero knowledge about how to do anything with it, and now i'm comfortable enough that i would have no problem building another one from scratch. try looking on ebay for parts and looking around your local area for old bikes or frames. the ebay store "wheelandsprocket" has a huge assortment of great parts and they ship super quick. plus if you have any questions about how to do anything, you can just come here! best part about it, you'll have a solid bike for less than any Republic bike will be. mine cost me about $250 to rebuild.

just my opinion, though.
    ^_^
    • CommentAuthorChainslap

I had one of those (although not from Republicbike, but it had the exact same parts and looked exactly the same)..
    Pretty soon i realized the whole bike was built up with crap parts, so i sold it.
    I don't know too much about fixed gears, but i can tell a quality bike when i see one and this is not it!
    (when i got this, i guess i got overwhelmed with enthousiasm that i didn't see it's flaws)
    The frame is Hi-Ten, the welds were really crap at some joints, the *plastic* bottom bracket developed play after 1 day of riding it, the fork dropouts got bent from tightening the wheel, the chainline was crooked, etc..
    I'd say if you are serious about riding (not even bicycle trickery), stay as far away from these as you possibly can..!
    sounds like a fashion desiner made the bike.
    Kilo TT from Bikesdirect is $349 shipped and a completely acceptable entry level fixed gear bike.
    Avoid republic, cheap stuff.
    • CommentAuthorLyKqiD

At that price there are plenty of other bikes that although you are getting the same hi-ten frame, the component set is much better.
    thanks so much guys. so as it turns out, things worked out by my not buying the republic as i just got a heads up for a very affordable track to work with. zmill12, you're so right about the building it from scratch. i love the one that was built for me, but this is one that i can really call my own once it's all put together. thanks for the encouragement guys- i wont let you down.
    I look forward to seeing your bike! Revive this thread when it's together, and don't forget to ask questions!
    • CommentAuthorjordanye
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2009 edited

Posted By: wowzahwhile these bikes are probably junk
    i am still amazed they are able to sell them so custom at $349
    there has to be some sweat shop involved
    just getting all the right custom selected parts built up in a box is a tough business model
    yet the cost is similar to a mass produced ebay bike

i think they sell them for $349 because they know people will buy the bikes for the color pick capabilities.
    • CommentAuthorleeloo
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009

i'm just starting out on the search to find a frame to start building my first fixed gear. i've been riding a shogun 600 road bike from the 70s pretty exclusively for a long time now, that I changed to a single speed, but after riding a fixed gear a few times I am in love and need to get started. so, all you experienced fixed gear riders WHERE DO I START! how much is too much for a frame, what red flags should i look for, and is ebay and craigslist my best bet? so many questions. i've fallen into the fixed gear phenomenon - but i think you're allowed a 'get out of trend free' card if you already ride, IMO.

the end
    • CommentAuthortyler215
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009

Posted By: gregIf it is hi-ten steel go to your local Performance Bikes and pick up a SE Lager or SE Draft - they weigh about 40 pounds

performance bikes= the wal mart of bikes shitty service and shitty over priced mass produced shit , i know this has nothing to do with the thread but i fucking hate those stores.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.