velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorbenkordus
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2010

hey guys, i am new to velospace, and completely new to single speeds(besides an old haro group 1 bmx)

-a little about my current bike- i have a surly long haul trucker, it is pretty much stock except for the seat, fenders, rack, panniers, touring stuff, etc.

it weighs in at about 28 lbs, and every bike ride i am on i see some old crappy fixie or single speed going around my mph.

i have become enamored with single speed simplicity, and a potential way to cut a lot of weight, and go even faster than i do now-and i know every pound makes a difference.

i am looking at creating a black on black speed demon.
    framesets that i like, but know nothing about are: trek t1, and surly steamroller.

some guy on the trek website said his t1 with better cranks and deep v's was under 17 pounds..which is exactly where i want to be.
    since i am kind of loyal to surly- if the frames are similar enough, and in the end weigh the same i'd probably go with them.

i really need some sound advice on parts, (my local bike shop has a check list here:

i am looking to spend no more than 1000 dollars
    i will only ride the bike on street/paths
    i dont want clipless or maybe even toe clips
    would rather have drop bars, than bullhorns, horizontals, etc.
    is only equipping one front brake good enough with how fast this thing can go?
    i have absolutely no idea about gear ratios and what not, but i bike almost everyday for an hour or more, and am 5'8 and 145 pounds
    i don't want the worst parts, but feel i dont need the best either
    also i read on a forum that deep v's may be a little much, and maybe go with velocity fusions, or even something lighter?

i realize i probably left out a lot of things, but hopefully you guys can help me.

Thanks in advance,
    ben
    I would like to get one thing off of my chest before this thread commences, and it is that there is nothing inherent to a single speed bike that will make it faster than a geared bike. If you want to go faster, the two things you should do before anything is 1.) figure out the bike fitment that is most ideal to you, and 2.) work on your cadence.

Anyway, carry on.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

No foot retention = 2 brakes, no matter what.
    the steam roller is an overbuilt tank. for about the same price you can get an all city big block or a soma rush, both of which use a nicer tubeset, have better geometry, and they are lighter. shit for that price you could get some pretty excellent frames if you lurk on ebay for a while. the surly is nothing like the t-1, theyre made of different materials and have different geometry. i agree with rabbi, if you're not using foot retention then you should have 2 brakes. this is an awesome fillet brazed bike with a colombus tubeset that fully built comes in just under $1000 http://www.traitorcycles.com/Bikes_Ringleader.cfm , this torelli is probably close to what youre looking for http://www.airbomb.com/ItemMatrix.asp?ic=46872&GroupCode=PG-19183&MatrixType=2&agent=Froogle&utm_source=Feeds&utm_medium=GoogleProduct&utm_campaign=Froogle , and this one is a fairly nice aluminum and carbon job that comes with some awesome shimano dura ace parts and other goodies for $795 shipped to your door http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/team_track.htm
    • CommentAuthorCatDude
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2010 edited

If your are running brakes, then you will be good with just a front brake, especially if your trying to shave weight. If you are riding brakeless, you 100% need some sort of foot retention. PERIOD

Good luck with your build though.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Um, I stand by my no foot retention and 2 brakes. If your front brake cable snaps going downhill, what are you gonna do? And most people won't think to ted shred.
    • CommentAuthorbenkordus

mr. perz., thank you for mentioning that..i wasn't very clear, and i probably came off rather lame like, "one speed makes me go faster!" ha.
    -i just feel with a lighter bike, and single speed simpleness, i could take my biking to another level. i consider myself to be quite the athlete, but i grow tired of not reaching speeds i am capable of going (as mentioned, i am currently riding a 28 pound touring bike.)

alexisfaster, thank you so much for posting those links. i have been on bikesdirect for the last hour or so. -that motobecane looks pretty damn sweet, but now i am wondering if i would get tired of track geometry, and if bikes like that would really be good on the road. also adding brakes,pedals would hike up the cost 100 or so...and it says it only has a fixed cog, when i wanted a ss. which makes me wonder, should i save another 800-100 and buy a sweet road bike? or is 800 too good to pass up?

as long as have no idea what im talking about there, do you have any road bike suggestions?

thanks again
    • CommentAuthorper.k

Check out this list, it has some decent and common prospects and will give you a bit of an idea about price range.

http://urbanvelo.org/singlespeed-commuter-bikes-for-2009/

Out of curiosity, anyone know why this Cinelli line was all Rat name themed? Just being cute or what?

http://www.cinelli.it/scripts/prodotti.php?Id=3&lang=IT&IdBici=489
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2010 edited

Posted By: benkordusbut i grow tired of not reaching speeds i am capable of going (as mentioned, i am currently riding a 28 pound touring bike

An observation: A big part of the reason you're capable of greater speed is because you're riding a 28 pound touring bike...I ride with so much mass that I come through like a freight train...

(get outta my way, wussyboys!)

On the weight subject: I hauled the bike onto a scale at the Point Richmond Yard Sale on Memorial Day. Total rigged bike weight: 50 pounds. I knew there was a reason I got so much traction.

EDIT: Oops, I thought I was quoting my earlier post, and accidentally nuked the original. Apparently, hauling a lot of weight around makes you stupid.
    • CommentAuthorper.k
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2010

I've seen your kind eaglerock ;)

good guys to follow as a pacer
    • CommentAuthormatt0ne
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2010

Revolution Cycles eh? That is also my LBS.. I live just down the street!

Good luck with your build!
    • CommentAuthorbenkordus
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2010

nice eaglerock, everything you mentionied is true.
    i dont necessarily need a new bike, but it would be cool to own something lighter, and see how fast i can go.

i think i am even more lost than when i started this forum...
    i guess for now i'll just test ride as many bikes as i can, and scan the forums here to see what parts you guys think are worth the cash.
    i am even thinking i could get all the parts myself. -ebay it up of course.

see you around madison mattone.

again, i really appreciate the links..they are very helpful.
    So I understand where you are coming from ben, you want a lighter bike to kinda show off abit. Honestly if you're looking for something inexpensive and you want to learn about bikes. Pricepoint has some great deals on an IRO markv fram or a soma Rush frame, they also have a good deal on single speed parts. Also if u want to work on cadance i recomend foot retention

http://www.pricepoint.com/thumb.htm?dept_id=3&deptName=Parts&sub_id=60&subName=Frames&category=False&sort=rank, styleName&cat=985

http://www.pricepoint.com/thumb/3-Parts-664-Single-Speed-Parts-False.htm

from there I'd start making friends with your LBS and learning your way around a bike.

wheels are all about what you prefer and how much you want to drop in terms of cash

if your looking for an inexpensixe start and just want to go http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=45784&menuItemId=0 660
    but your still going to need to add your own brakes
    • CommentAuthorVama
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2010 edited

Posted By: CatDudeIf your are running brakes, then you will be good with just a front brake

he's on a freewheel and doesn't want foot retention... gotta go with the rabbi. don't do it, son! get 2!
    • CommentAuthorVama

well that came out strange.
    If you want to quote the whole post, use the quote button. If you want to quote only part of the post, select that part first, then hit the quote button. Then, obviously, make sure you're typing outside of the quoted code.
    • CommentAuthorVama

that's exactly what I did... and what I usually do. *scratching head at quote fail*
    • CommentAuthorjimt
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2010

just built a single speed with two brakes i might add , kilo tt delux a great bike for the money . i recomend that model . take at look at mine . best of luck
    • CommentAuthorpeazweag
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010

RULE #1 GET STRONGER .RULE#2THEN GET LIGHTER.i'M TO POOR FOR LIGHTER THAT'S WHY I LIVE BY RULE#1.
    Check out IRO bikes. My first ever bike was a IRO Jamie Roy, and that thing, stock, was around 16-17 pounds. With putting on some better parts, I was able to get it down to 14-15 pounds.

They make great single speeds.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.