velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthordeermatt
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2010

I saw this picture from the recent world's , and he has black omnium cranks instead of his normal 7710 dura ace to sugino zen ring .. Anyone know when the switch was or story behind this ?

• CommentAuthordeermatt

oh, turns out those belong to the danish team , but still says something about the omniums. Looks like hoy is using the prototype crank made just for the GB team ?
    • CommentAuthorper.k

hmm. Omniums are pretty damn nice though

on a um semi-related note just found out I work with Kenny Williams who won the 1999 national criterium title. Maybe he'll give me some tips :P
    • CommentAuthordeermatt
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2010 edited

I found the SRM cranks hes using in the picture . They are the power reading warm up cranks that use the same octalink spline as the DA 7710 . Cost ? a mere 4,800.00 plus tax
    • CommentAuthorper.k

but they are not actual competition ones? just training/warm up?
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

Posted By: per.kbut they are not actual competition ones? just training/warm up?

I believe they are normally just used for training , but Hoy said this :

For example, we're going to keep the SRM power cranks on the bikes for Copenhagen because we want to record the data and use that for the rest of our planning and preparation. It's not often you do that in competition so it's very useful to know exactly where we are at. Yes, it'll slow us down a bit because it makes the bikes heavier but it's all part of the planning for London.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2010

His legs are bigger than his coaches head. I would not want to be kicked by that man.
    • CommentAuthorBen Holley

Posted By: deermattFor example, we're going to keep the SRM power cranks on the bikes for Copenhagen because we want to record the data and use that for the rest of our planning and preparation. It's not often you do that in competition so it's very useful to know exactly where we are at. Yes, it'll slow us down a bit because it makes the bikes heavier but it's all part of the planning for London.

Everyone forgets about Track Worlds once the Olympics hit. Everything you do for those four years is just leading up to that point.

Those tree trunk thighs make mine look like twigs
    • CommentAuthorMaxThrash

Dude just got engaged.
    • CommentAuthorBen Holley

Posted By: MaxThrashDude just got engaged.

I feel sorry for his wife. I think.
    • CommentAuthorkirke

One thing I dont understand (as seen in the first picture) is the use of stems with fairly high degrees of rise, along with at least 3-4cm of spacers. Is it because these folks on riding the smallest size frame possible?
    It seems counter-intuitive when you think these people would want to get as low and aero as possible.
    At this level, I'm most certain these guys bikes are set up perfectly for their body style to maximize power. I've learned recently from doing a track build that there is a point where although you become more aero, you are loosing power in your pedal stroke, which is FAR more important.

It's interesting these guys are riding Omniums. Shows they are good enough for the rest of us. However, I'm almost certain those are not the standard bearings, as the normal bearings have a ton of drag. I have a set of the ceramic "red" BB for these cranks, but even that does not come CLOSE to a loose ball bearing BB. The BB bearings look like a lower profile, rounded shape bearings, maybe like Chris King.

It also surprises me the Dura Ace chainrings, as I thought Sugino ZEN had become the standard for racing at this level.
    Posted By: kirke
    It seems counter-intuitive when you think these people would want to get as low and aero as possible.

Like terrible_one said, there is a point where you are too aero. If you look back at the designs like the Cinelli Lazer with the bars mounted on the crown of the fork, those are about as aero as it gets. But the problem is that your legs are always "loaded" by your body weight pressing down on them. You never get a full, powerful stroke.
    • CommentAuthorkirke

Posted By: terrible_one49At this level, I'm most certain these guys bikes are set up perfectly for their body style to maximize power.

That much is definitely true. Can you imagine the number of hours spent perfecting bike fit down to matters of millimeters?
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Also, a lot of those frames only come in 2 or 3 sizes.

Deep drops stems are really only used in keirin racing. If you look at a keirin racer's bikes, they only really have a fistfull of seatpost, so the saddle to bar drop is compensated with the drop stem. Most of the bikes that the keirin guys ride would be classified as being too big for the riders by normal standards.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

Posted By: deermattI found the SRM cranks hes using in the picture . They are the power reading warm up cranks that use the same octalink spline as the DA 7710 . Cost ? a mere 4,8000.00 plus tax

christ-sakes one of the track rats around here ran those on his BT... i did not know they cost that much...
    • CommentAuthorkirke

Posted By: the rabbiAlso, a lot of those frames only come in 2 or 3 sizes.

Deep drops stems are really only used in keirin racing. If you look at a keirin racer's bikes, they only really have a fistfull of seatpost, so the saddle to bar drop is compensated with the drop stem. Most of the bikes that the keirin guys ride would be classified as being too big for the riders by normal standards.

Yeah, this is what I was getting at. I mean you can obviously see that even with a fairly high-rise stem the saddle to bar drop is quite large. I think they are definitely riding what some would call a "too small" frame for the increased stiffness it provides.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

Posted By: terrible_one49
    It's interesting these guys are riding Omniums. Shows they are good enough for the rest of us. However, I'm almost certain those are not the standard bearings, as the normal bearings have a ton of drag. I have a set of the ceramic "red" BB for these cranks, but even that does not come CLOSE to a loose ball bearing BB. The BB bearings look like a lower profile, rounded shape bearings, maybe like Chris King.

I know SRAM suggests using their gxp or black box bottom brackets , but I dont see why you couldnt use a number of other outboard bearing bottom brackets from shimano, fsa, King, Rotor..
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

It all depends on the od of the spindle and the I'd of the bearings. Shimano bbs with not work with sram cranks. King makes different bbs to work with whatever cranks.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.