velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

As far as fit vs. aerodynamics are concerned, these track racers are concerned with aerodynamics the most because their races are so short. Plus guys like Hoy and Bos, as well as the road racers like Cancellara and Ullrich, are unbelievably flexible. They can damn near fold themselves in half, I bet Hoy could lick his own ass if he were so inclined. They can fold themselves down onto the bike, and the racers are so short, they are fit for power and aerodynamics. The road racers are sitting up a lot more that they used to, and that's all down to comfort, because though you may be less aerodynamic, the comfor actually makes you faster over the hundred plus mile stages, and the six hour classics.

As for the Omniums, that is cool that the top guys use them. I wonder which chainrings they are using, from my experience SRAM makes a really soft chainring. The ceramic bearings are quite smooth, but I bet they run a prototype BB. I would assume the cranks are stock, but for all we know it could have a prototype spindle? Who knows.

Posted By: per.khmm. Omniums are pretty damn nice though

on a um semi-related note just found out I work with Kenny Williams who won the 1999 national criterium title. Maybe he'll give me some tips :P

Kenny Williams is a nice dude. He and Paul Swift do a lot of fits at the shop I work at, they are good guys! Where do you work?
    • CommentAuthordeermatt
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2010

Posted By: RideEveryday
    As for the Omniums, that is cool that the top guys use them. I wonder which chainrings they are using, from my experience SRAM makes a really soft chainring. The ceramic bearings are quite smooth, but I bet they run a prototype BB. I would assume the cranks are stock, but for all we know it could have a prototype spindle? Who knows.

Those bikes appear to be using the standard dura ace chain ring, although most teams seem to be using the sugino zen ring .
    Posted By: RideEverydaythese track racers are concerned with aerodynamics the most because their races are so short

In a short race, aerodynamics is MUCH LESS important than power. In a race that is an hour long, having a more aero position might save you 7 seconds, 14 seconds, etc. In a race that is only 30 seconds long, it's only going to save about .0001 of a second. Although this might mean the difference of coming in 1st or 3rd, strength and stiffness is more of a concern.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.