velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorjburnha
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2010 edited

So on the morning commute yesterday, the traffic was a bit heavy coming down Damen (in Chicago) with cars and squealee bikes in all directions; a few miles from home and a few miles from work, I heard a loud, hollow noise come from underneath me. Unsure of what I hit, I moved out of the bike-lane and saw my rear wheel slowly deflate. ...Early last year I moved over to the Conti' grand-prix 4-season tires ($$$) after many flats around town on crap tires and this is the first flat with these so-far-impressive treads. I am usually pretty good about watching the road-surface while watching traffic, but this morning was particularly sunny and the morning air was warm for the first time in the year and well, shit happens.

And to the point of the forum: later that night, after changing my tube since I was sans patchkit/air pump (the Conti's had made me arrogant), I returned to the scene of the crime (around 11pm). There in the bike lane were these chunks of sharp, almost brittle plastic--most likely someone had had an accident thereabouts and left portions of their headlight or maybe even a diffuser from a street-lamp dislodged/was shot out (still can't tell). The guilty shards:

What weird crap has popped your previously impervious tires?
    • CommentAuthorsfbee
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2010

The last two flats I've had were from shards of glass that were also likely from a wreck of some sort. I've always got a few extra tubes and air on me though :)
    A few weeks ago I extracted what very much appeared to be a drill press shaving from my front tire.
    • CommentAuthorjburnha

Yeah Michael, I actually work for a manufacturer who CNCs/grinds/drills metal all day and that stuff is sharp. There are shards of aluminum/copper/brass everywhere out on the floor at work forcing me to carry my bike the 50 yards into a safe-zone (really the bathroom, hah). I have a friend who actually had a screw stuck into their Armadillos and the tire still held pressure, which is just crazy.
    I've had clothes pin springs:

Heavy gauge staples, paper clips, glass, rose thorns, spokes, brake rub, curbs, and a bunch of other shit deflate my tubes and ruin my tires. The worst was definitely the curb.

By far the weirdest thing I have had implant itself into a tire was a small animal tooth, probably from a raccoon. I guess this because there was a dead raccoon rotting in the gutter for about two weeks prior to the incident. I almost rode over it for the first few days it was there, becoming bloated and ant ridden, then when I finally started to remember to avoid it, I would pass by and check the decomposition every few days. Eventually someone must have reported it, probably because the smell by that point was epic.

Almost all the flats I have gotten, including the tooth, were the result of riding in the gutter on a busy, residential street in Pasadena, CA on my way to and from work. For some reason that street (San Gabriel Blvd, if anyone is curious) was just filled with awful shit to ride over.
    • CommentAuthorgreg

I was riding down a somewhat busy street in Chicago when I heard a regular metal-on-metal noise coming from my rear wheel. I thought something was in my spokes so I pulled up to the light, turned around and took a look. Turns out I had a safety pin stuck straight into my back tire, pin side first of course. My instincts told me to yank the pin out, which I did even though I had plenty of air and probably could have ridden home otherwise. One flat tire, and a long walk later (only had CO2 and a patch kit, it was way too windy to patch) I realized that it may be better to leave the sharp bit in and try to eek out another mile before giving in to a hiss flat.
    • CommentAuthorM0THER

I was riding home and noticed that something white/tan was stuck on my front tire but assumed that it was just some gum or debris and kept riding. I got home and realised it wasn't gum but a very dry and hard weed. I pulled it off and my tire immediately deflated. whoops! the weed was equipped with a very sharp spike that actually kept my tire inflated for my ride home.
    • CommentAuthorjburnha

I think animal tooth, haha, is winning the 'contest' here. Hah! A safety pin has its humour for the potential irony--damn hipster. ;-)

One thing I failed to mention (in my already long-windedness) is when I went to patch the tube there were three separate punctures (all in the same area), which I only found after the first patch was done! So that tube was done.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

I've never had anything too unusual in my tire but I have gotten a tack (carpet tack) stuck in my rim. Yes rim, all the way through the tire and tube and embedded in my rim.
    • CommentAuthorjayohachen

Whenever I get a flat, it's always some phantom object. Although, I do ride in a industrial/military zone. There always shards of random metal laying about.
    • CommentAuthorgreg

shrapnel!
    Posted By: wes m.I've never had anything too unusual in my tire but I have gotten a tack (carpet tack) stuck in my rim. Yes rim, all the way through the tire and tube and embedded in my rim.

Drahhh, that sucks, I've never had that happen, but I can imagine a carpet tack would do it. We have carpet on the basement stairs that is coming up and I'm absolutely sure one of those fuckers is going to end up in my foot one of these days.
    • CommentAuthorBen Holley

Fishbone riding by the beach. No shit. Here in Florida I guess wierder stuff has happened though.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

I have had screws and nails, not that weird though.
    • CommentAuthorVama

mostly just glass. safety glass doesn't seem to be that bad usually.
    I got 2 flat tires last year back to back, from a defective tire. One off the bead was sticking out off the rubber inward, not more that 1mm. I got lucky and the LBS replace my tire and gave me 2 new spares tube. Of course I patch the tubes, so I came out on top of that misadventure.
    I haven't had anything too weird. One seemed to be a sliver of a conch shell when I was in florida. The other was a thorn when I was riding on a path that runs next to a river. Luckily, both held the air until I could get home.
    • CommentAuthorpeazweag
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2010

my weirdest flat was a bird beak,no crap.I beleive it was a starling,it was weird.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

i guess the streets stay pretty clean of random crap around here. i've had three flats in as many years and two of them have been from the absurdly sized pot holes that start to open up in february from the freeze thaw cycle and all the snow plow blades digging into the road surface. booo.

the other flat was a tiny strand of wire, which i probably picked up in my storage locker!
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Ugghhh potholes. Those are the worst because if you hit them hard enough to get a pinch flat theres a decent chance you knocked your wheel out of true too.

My worst flat tire by far was pothole related. I was pedaling along in the low 20s with a tailwind and vegging out half way through a long ride and I hit a pothole so hard that the derailer hanger snapped and the derailer got sucked into the rear wheel immediately sending me skidding into traffic. To be fair though, I later found out that those hangers were defective. The entire rear wheel was destroyed.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.