velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I'm working on the Raleigh Super Course frame that I got for my birthday, and I have a choice of a couple of old-school hubs to choose from. Maybe you guys can help me decide what to do.

On the one hand is a NOS Suzue 36h. It's never been mounted and I've gotten the bearings adjusted super smooth.

On the other hand is a Normandy in fairly bad condition. I haven't taken it apart yet to see how salvageable it is, but it looks much more stamped-sheet-metalish than the Suzue.

Does anyone have an informed opinion?
    Suzue:

Normandy (in a 27" wheel):

The back wheel's done already in kind of a silly way: I did a half-radial on a Sturmey Archer AW. At the time, I thought it would be kind of funny, but now I realize that it mighta been a little dumb, since power is applied to an IGH differently than it is to a derailleured wheel. I'll go get that wheel and show you, too:

• CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2010

I've had both. If the Normandy hub is just dirty and doesn't have damage like pitted races or cones, then it is just as good as the Suzue.

The ring gear is toward the drive side in the Sturmey hub so I assume it transfers force the same as a freehub. If it were coasterbrake that would be a problem.
    Posted By: SkidMarkThe ring gear is toward the drive side in the Sturmey hub so I assume it transfers force the same as a freehub. If it were coasterbrake that would be a problem.

Ah! Thanks! I've got a coaster coming to me. I'll remember that.

Posted By: SkidMarkI've had both. If the Normandy hub is just dirty and doesn't have damage like pitted races or cones, then it is just as good as the Suzue.

As good? Better? The Normandy's pretty crunky inside. I haven't opened it up yet, but the odds are against awesomeness. It was left outside for a couple of years sans love. Assuming I can get it in good working order, is there a reason to choose one over the other?
    • CommentAuthordanzap209

I have some 36h Suzue Track hubs if you want them for a fair price....
    I've already got two hubs to choose from here. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanAssuming I can get it in good working order, is there a reason to choose one over the other?

The Normandy's more period-ish, if you care about that sort of thing. All the '70s catalogs list Normandy hubs and Simplex or Huret derailleurs as stock components on the Super Course.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

Get the Suzue Classicas! I always thought those would look good on an old build. They probably aren't as nice as these though, but definately nice looking. Josh, you look like the Spaghett character from Tim and Eric Awesome Show haha.
    Newman, how could anyone think you were 27? Are you one of those guys who is really immature in person? If so, I'm not coming to your birthday party!

Also,

Posted By: Joshua A.C. Newman

BEST HUB FACE EVAR!!!!1111
    Spagget'!

Posted By: parkman14Get the Suzue Classicas!

Fer Pete's fuck, people. The problem is that I've already got two hubs and only need one wheel. If someone's got some spiffy idea where they want me to put a brazilian dollars into this wheel, send me the supacool part and I'll do it! In the meantime, I'm looking to spend maybe $200 tops on this project. And I just spent $60-some on spokes and a rim.

Posted By: eaglerockThe Normandy's more period-ish, if you care about that sort of thing. All the '70s catalogs list Normandy hubs and Simplex or Huret derailleurs as stock components on the Super Course.

I don't really, since this is gonna be all sorts of wonky. But the Normandy does have a nicer curve to the outside. I just kinda dread what I'm gonna find in those cups.
    Posted By: suicide_doorsAre you one of those guys who is really immature in person?

Well, I do think that butts are the root of all humor...
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanI just kinda dread what I'm gonna find in those cups.

Assuming you've already filed your returns (just leaving to photocopy and mail mine), there's no time like the present to find out...
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

I'm not immature :(
    I was trying to poke some fun at his awesome hub-face
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

People think I'm 27..? Wow! I guess I just am way into bikes, and my bike geek maturity is maybe in the 20's, but I'm realistically 15.
    I was talking to the other Newman.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2010

My last name is Newman too haha. Parker A. Newman. Weird..
    Ah, that was confusing! I forgot we shared a name!

I just got to cleaning the Normandy. A little bit of pitting, but only a little, and a whole lot of plastic-hard ancient grease is the cause of the unsmoothness. I'm cleaning it up anyway. It's an attractive object, and I might put up with the pitting just because it's got a nice shape to it. I'll have to see how it spins when I'm done cleaning and polishing it.
    OK, I'm a-usin' this thread for the rest of this bike, as it happens.

I cleaned and repacked the Normandy hub, but it was just too pitted. Too bad. So I went over the Suzue with a Scotchbrite pad to get a brushed, instead of milled, surface. It's much better now.

I built the front wheel this evening. It's a radial, so I expected it to be fast, but it only took me an hour. I must be learning things!

Next up, I'll show you the frame!
    Boy, it was dark in the basement. These are the best pics I could get.

The frame and saddle are the real keepers:

That saddle needs some lovin', but I think it'll come back to life.

Oh, dear:

From this side, this looks pretty good:

... BUT

I'll have to see if that comes apart reasonably. The greatest concern is that white oxide between the crank and spindle. Plus, I'm probably going to need to get new bearings. My guess is that it'll be easiest to get a sealed one, but threading could be an issue. Maybe someone can help me identify the frame?

It's got a derailleur I'm not going to be using. Anyone need some 70s derailleury?

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.