velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorparkman14
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2010 edited

Ergh sorry, this is my second thread today. But anyways, I've been trying to remove my cog from my suntour wheel for 2 nights, and today I successfully bent my chainwhip in half. This cog IS NOT BUDGING. Anybody know any tricks? And yes I'm turning it the correct way, and I've already removed the lockring. I want to get my EAI Superstar cog on!
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2010

Lockring unscrews clockwise, cog unscrews anti-clockwise.
    Try doing a reverse rotafix? way more leverage that way.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

Yeah I'm doing it counterclockwise, I'll check out that link Alvin.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

Tried the rotafix the reverse way to take it off. Not budgin... but i'm 15 yrs old and weak... I guess I'll take it to the LBS tomorrow.
    I just turned 16! When I don't have the leverage that's what I use.. The only time it didn't work was when I had a soma cog on a stock kilo tt wheelset.. despite all the skidding i could do with the lockring off it wouldn't budge.

Also I endorse LBS', they'll help you out one way or another.
    • CommentAuthorrpster

definitely head over to the LBS.
    but im curious if cooling down the hub would work, assuming you have an aluminum hub

"...because aluminum expands twice as much as steel, and 2 1/2 times as much as titanium for the same increase in temperature...cool the seatpost down as rapidly as possible. The contents of a CO2 tire inflation cartridge applied inside the seatpost can shrink it down just enough to do the trick." -sheldon brown

yea i know he's talking about seatposts, but wouldnt it work just the same with an aluminum hub and a steel cog?
    try lubing up with oil or grease and use the rotafix method for the seized cog
    Liquid wrench has work for me in the past.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2010

Posted By: XdiamondsimonXLiquid wrench has work for me in the past.

This or PB Blaster. Did you grease the threads when you put it on?
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

I didn't put it on! The people I bought it from had an unlabled generic cog on there, and for all I know, it could be loctited on. I'll Usu some chain lube and grease on it... but where should i put the grease? Out side of the cog because it'll seep in?
    try getting a piece of chain and wrapping it around the cog just enough to cover all the teeth then take a big pipe wrench and go to town on it.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

Even with chain lube it's not coming off..
    Posted By: parkman14 and today I successfully bent my chainwhip in half.

what kind of chainwhip do you have? most are really shitty. i've had good luck with my park whip but it's not uncommon to snap the bolts that attach the chain. easy to fix (go to ace hardware and get new bolts). the park tool has a nice long arm for leverage and, of course the blue rubber grip which helps. and i haven't bent it yet.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

I highly recommend PB blaster or liquid wrench. It'll likely do the trick
    • CommentAuthorBamfs01

I bet I could get it off lol
    .............................try using a table vise clamp
    Posted By: boy on byke.............................try using a table vise clamp

ya, that combined with a good whip should be sufficient. i want a vise damn it.
    • CommentAuthorBamfs01
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2010 edited

Posted By: fixed international
    Posted By: boy on byke.............................try using a table vise clamp

ya, that combined with a good whip should be sufficient. i want a vise damn it.

No put the cog in the clamp and turn the wheel, leverage is your friend. Careful though, don't unround things

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.