velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorLU
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2010

Hey guys I just got a Thick slick tire tonight, because I really couldn't beat the price (ONLY $18). The tire comes in 700 x 25 and is fairly thick.
    Im riding one on the back only, because Im not so sure how they would handle sharp turns on a wet day.
    Has anyone out there tried them?
    Here is the lick to the company WTB makes them.
    http://www.freedombicycle.com/
    • CommentAuthorVama
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2010

I'd be curious as well, my roommate is buying her first fixed and wants to get something >23, as well as having kevlar... I see them online for ~$16... the low price makes me a bit wary and she's not a fan of the logo, but if they're dependable it seems like a good choice, as she's not going to be dumping a lot into the bike at first but shouldn't be riding on some awful tires that are gonna fail either.
    Wow! Once you include the weight of the tube and rim strip, it would make these tires heavier than THE WHOLE WHEEL on my bike! Nice!
    • CommentAuthorBen Holley

480g of tough-as-shit.

They seem beefy, but the weight-weenie roadie in me cringes at the thought of the rolling weight
    I ride Continental SuperSonic tires, which are the lightest clinchers on the market, around 150g's. I ride EVERY SINGLE DAY several miles all around a glass and pothole filled city....and never any flats for months and months. So, unless you love doing gimmicky skids all over, I feel tires this think are not needed.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

Posted By: terrible_one49I ride Continental SuperSonic tires, which are the lightest clinchers on the market, around 150g's. I ride EVERY SINGLE DAY several miles all around a glass and pothole filled city....and never any flats for months and months. So, unless you love doing gimmicky skids all over, I feel tires this think are not needed.

Just a heads up, this is right from Continentals site , talking about the supersonic

"designed the tyre for just a limited number of racing kilometres. As a result, the Grand Prix Supersonic is not a training tire. It makes top speeds irresistible, but is only recommended for individual races on smooth circuits."
    Yes, okay. However, I telling you, I've ridden these tires on the street for over a year with NO PROBLEM. So...believe what you want, but I'm saying this from experience.
    Well, potholes wouldn't make a difference. You get pinch flats as long as you have tubes if the road's bad enough. But it sounds like you've been lucky and missed the glass.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: deermattJust a heads up, this is right from Continentals site , talking about the supersonic

Thank you! I've been racking my brain for two weeks, trying to remember what somebody paid me $21 for at the Trailhead bike swap, and I now remember that it was a used pair of Supersonics! Now I can sleep.
    Posted By: LU
    Im riding one on the back only, because Im not so sure how they would handle sharp turns on a wet day.

In terms of bicycles, tread makes almost no difference in grip on wet pavement. Wet or damp pavement will reduce the grip of most any tire, but the siping that comes on some tires is for cosmetic or marketing reasons. Basically, bicycles don't hydroplane.
    I'm with terrible_one on this.

Unless your blasting skids all day. You will NEVER need a tire that is that beefy. I used to ride Vittoria Zaffiros on the front and back and they would last me about 6 months (with riding everyday down 2 hills to work). You can get them for $15 and they last long and they handle well in the rain.
    Posted By: RideEveryday
    Posted By: LU

In terms of bicycles, tread makes almost no difference in grip on wet pavement. Wet or damp pavement will reduce the grip of most any tire, but the siping that comes on some tires is for cosmetic or marketing reasons. Basically, bicycles don't hydroplane.

I'm gonna have to go against this statement and say it's false. Reason being, I've tried many different tires over the past several years. Mostly recently, I made a change from the Continetal Grand Prix 4000s and Grand Prix 4 Season, to the SuperSonic tires. The 4000s and 4 Season both have tread lines on the tires, and the Supersonic is smooth.

Although, grip has more to do with rubber type and density...however, the tread pattern is NOT totally superficial and only for looks. When riding in the rain with the 4000s and 4 Season, you can clearly see the water on the tire surface would be directed to the recessed channels on the tire surface, and propelled outward to the sides of the tire, removing the water from the tires surface. When I changed over the the SuperSonic, when riding in the rain, the water does not do this. It stays on the surface of the tire and is sprayed directly up at the downtube.

Now, I'm not saying the SuperSonic is going to hydroplane in the rain, nor does it grip any less better on wet roads. I'm just saying, the 4000s and 4 Season both propelled the water on the tire surface in a different direction.

I guess the main thing that bothered me was the 4000s and 4 Season would propel the water out towards my shoes, and would soak my shoes MUCH faster than the Supersonic, which mainly sprayed the water on the downtube.
    • CommentAuthorLU
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2010

Yeah, I rode a couple miles with the tick slick on the back and I have notice the difference on the weight of my bike.
    Hoping onto side walks is now a pain. I really don't skid much either, so i wouldn't buy this tire unless you are desperate or if you skid your balls off.
    Posted By: terrible_one49Now, I'm not saying the SuperSonic is going to hydroplane in the rain, nor does it grip any less better on wet roads. I'm just saying, the 4000s and 4 Season both propelled the water on the tire surface in a different direction.

That's just because water's sticky and the centrifugal force of the wheel is pulling it toward the part that sticks out most once it's off the ground. Your tire is only in contact with a couple of square millimeters of pavement when you're on a 23mm tire. Most of the tread isn't even in contact with the road.
    Old rule-of-thumb for bicycle tires:
    If your tire leaves an impression in the surface it rolls over, you might benefit from having some kind of tread to get more grip.
    Otherwise, you want slicks. Wet or dry.

The contact patch of a bicycle tire on a hard, smooth surface is shaped like a canoe, an almost perfect shape for displacing water.
    As mentioned before, bicycles don't hydroplane.
    Sheldon has a thing about hydroplaning somewhere on his site. If I recall, a bicycle will hydroplane at 90 mph. So, good luck getting that effect.

Ragnar, that's a good rule of thumb.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2010

The land speed record on a bicycle is something like 108mph. In other news, I hit my fastest speed ever on my bike today: 53.5mph.
    Thickslicks are dope!!

THey are only for the skilled and daring.

Fuck all you pussy riders
    Uh huh. Next.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.