velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorVama
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2010

So I just bought an '09 Fuji track for really cheap as a project bike... I go up a lot of hills in SF and the 48/15 gearing is pretty extreme for the hills. SO, I'm looking at options to change my gearing, both with the chainring and the back cog. however, upon an admittedly short google search I came across a post on LFGSS that mentioned that the cranks on the fuji are dished and the chainline will be compromised if I swap out the chainring. anyone had any experience swapping chainrings on the stock cranks on the fuji? am I only gonna be able to swap out the back for a bigger cog or is it doable to adjust both? I believe the cranks are 130bcd and there are cheap Sugino options to adjust the front if I can actually do it.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

How would a crank dish impact the chainl ine? If the crank is dished it should still hold all chainrings in the same chain line, just dished in a certain direction. Unless I'm missing something... Do you mean the chainring is dished? That would be news to me but I would understand how that would impact chainline.

You dont absolutely need to change your chainring to get a good gearing. Changing a tooth or two on the cog makes the rough adjustments. Changing a tooth or two on the chainring makes a small adjustment.

If I were in your position I'd just get a 17 tooth cog and call it a day.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

Stop listening to idiots.

Any chainring is going to bolt in the same place you took the old one off so there will be no difference in chainline.

48 x 15 is what most people use at my local velodrome so it is a bit tall for the street. I recommend 48 x 19 if you plan to ride up hills, although it will be a bit spinny going downhill.

And fuck street cred, use a front brake.
    • CommentAuthorVama

yes, it seemed like a weird comment... which is why I asked. never swapped a chainring before, so I had no idea if that was a valid concern or not... anyway, using Rabbit I can get the gearing I'm going for changing either the cog or the chainring, just looking at options. and I always run a front brake.
    I have a crankset from a Pista circa early 2000's. It's a road double and the chainring is indeed dished. I don't think Bianchi has sold Pistas in this configuration for some time though.
    • CommentAuthorVama

hmm, I guess I should check the actual chainring and see if it's dished then, ehh? definitely gonna swap out a lot of parts eventually tho, so perhaps swapping out the cog is the easiest fix til I actually replace the crank itself.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.