velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorpilehead
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2010 edited

So I posted a want to trade listing on here for my aerospoke. Someone said they'd trade me their trispoke for my aerospoke. I shipped my wheel from Portland, OR, and he said he shipped his from Des Moines, IA. I tracked the wheel I shipped and it was delivered to him on April 5th. I have all of this guy's info, but he won't answer my texts/calls. No tracking number from UPS... Am I totally fucked out of a wheel here? I called the police department there and they told me this was a civil lawsuit case that I'd have to get a lawyer to settle this dispute.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2010 edited

Hmmm....
    • CommentAuthorpilehead
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2010

So just found out, package was delivered to his doorstep. He said he never got the package. He never sent his wheel to me. I'm fucked out of an aerospoke. Great job.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: pileheadSo just found out, package was delivered to his doorstep. He said he never got the package. He never sent his wheel to me. I'm fucked out of an aerospoke. Great job.

Seems to me that's the shipper's responsibility. Which one did you use, and did they get a signature for the delivery?
    • CommentAuthorFeFst

Ah that sucks. Just a little thought, who would trade there trispoke for a Aerospoke?
    • CommentAuthorpilehead
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2010

Shipped it USPS, and they weren't very helpful about it. Since the status is showing delivered, there's not much they can do except make sure they left it at the right apartment. This is all mostly all my fault because I didn't get it insured or signature confirmation. Live and learn.
    • CommentAuthorVama

Posted By: pileheadLive and learn.

shitty way to learn the lesson but, yeah. ALWAYS ship with signature confirmation...
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

I dont think this proves that he didnt rob you.
    • CommentAuthorVama

IMO it's entirely possible. cutting corners with no sig conf, etc. means that your ass is not covered in the event that someone rips you off... and if dude was thinking about it already, not having any paper trail to prove anything makes it way easier to just take it. I don't want to be a dick, but like the person said earlier, someone wanting to trade a trispoke for an aerospork just sounds shady... I woulda been pretty leery of the situation.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Hold on a second, he waited to receive the wheel from you before he mailed his wheel? SKETCHY. As far as I'm concerned a straight up trade means both wheels are in the mail at the same time.
    • CommentAuthorBen Holley

Posted By: FeFstAh that sucks. Just a little thought, who would trade there trispoke for a Aerospoke?

That's what I was thinking. Granted there are a bunch of Tarcksters who think that Aerospokes are fly as hell (to each their own I guess...) but I think it's fairly common knowldge that most trispokes are of higher quality. This one reason I don't like shipping on the internetz, you have people like the 'seller,' of the Trispoke who will do anything to make a quick buck.

If you find that for certain he has fucked you over you should really consider letting everyone know his username (To Greg especially, if you haven't already) so as not to let him do this in the future.

• CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2010 edited

Posted By: Ben HolleyIf you find that for certain he has fucked you over you should really consider letting everyone know his username (To Greg especially, if you haven't already) so as not to let him do this in the future.

And you can also see from this why greg/VS doesn't warranty any transactions taking place between VS members. It's a liability sinkhole.
    • CommentAuthorpilehead

Yeah.. Well the day I shipped it I sent him the tracking confirmation number and he told me he'd ship his the next day. It was just sketch from the get-go, because it was always, "Yeah I shipped it UPS from my work, I'll get you the tracking number tomorrow, I left it at work". He stopped responding to my texts a few days later, so finally I just called him, twice. No answer. I blocked my number and called him again, and this time he answered. I said, "Hey, this is Josh, with the aerospoke..", and he instantly hung up. I then called the police in his town and filed an e-report that the lady emailed me, gave them his address, and they said they were going to head over there. I then texted him and told him I went to the cops, and low and behold, he texted me back, "Chill out, my phone died". He said that the reason he hasn't been responding was because he never shipped the wheel because he was just too broke until Monday, and didn't want to tell me because he thought I'd get pissed... This is when he said he never got the wheel I sent, etc. And now back to square one. Anyway, I've got friends in the Des Moines area who have his name and what to watch out for.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2010 edited

Um, you sent this USPS, and the guy claimed to have shipped a wheel in return. I think we may be talking about mail fraud, which is a Federal offense punishable by substantial fines and/or imprisonment.

Perhaps an email indicating that you're filing a complaint will elicit the return of your Aerospoke. I think the likelihood of getting a trispoke is zero, as there was never a trispoke to begin with...

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/investigations/MailFraud/MailFraud.aspx

Definitions:
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00001341----000-.html

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00001346----000-.html
    • CommentAuthorVama

hopefully the cops do actually follow it up. from what you say, I would wager pretty strongly that dude straight ripped you off. no bueno. dunno how it could hold up in court, but if he's a petty inexperienced thief perhaps a vist from the po-po might scare him into sending the trispoke (if it ever existed) or at least returning your 'spork.
    Posted By: wes m.Hold on a second, he waited to receive the wheel from you before he mailed his wheel? SKETCHY. As far as I'm concerned a straight up trade means both wheels are in the mail at the same time.

some guy on here (i would give his user name but cant find it because i cant get to inbox) did the same thing to me when i traded wheels with him. He did finally send them out and i have them now, but it sucked because i was out of a bike for a few weeks. Maybe there should be a "feedback thread"? so buyers can check up on people who have sold before to know if they're legit. just a thought...
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: o0 Corey 0o
    Maybe there should be a "feedback thread"? so buyers can check up on people who have sold before to know if they're legit. just a thought...

I'd give a big thumbs-down to that, for reasons I've already mentioned.

Just because we're a community doesn't mean we shouldn't exercise reasonable caution in our business dealings with each other. But at the same time, just because we exercise reasonable caution in our business dealings with each other doesn't mean we're not a community. If we start slagging on each other in public, we may not be able to recover.

Having said that, I think the OP should make sure his transaction "partner" is fully aware of the consequences of any skeezy acts he may commit.
    I can see where you're coming from... but i dont think it would be that bad. A feedback thread wouldnt have to be little complaints and stuff like "the stem he sold me had insertion marks and it came 2 days later than what he had told me," that kind of thing can be settled in PMs. What Im saying is a feedback thread were either you leave positive feedback or feedback warning others of someone you believe tried to scam you/rip you off. There could even be a rule were you have to pm a mod or something before leaving negative feedback about someone.
    Once again, just a thought.
    • CommentAuthorpilehead
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2010

The guy admitted to never sending the tri spoke. He played me right.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2010

so what is the resolution? You getting back your wheel?

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.