velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorMiles1200
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2008 edited

i know this sounds weird but is it possible to paint a wheel? its taking a while to save up to buy the wheels i want and my bike would look ten times better with black wheels..

thanks
    • CommentAuthorgarrett
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2008

Yes, it's completely possible. The key is masking off the spokes, nipples, and hubs properly. Also, sanding and using a primer will help the paint stick better. However, if you want to retain use of brakes at all, I don't suggest painting your rims.
    man just disassemble the whole thing get some new spoke nips and just mask the brake surface off if you wanna use brakes.
    • CommentAuthorgarrett
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2008

If he's asking if it's possible to paint a wheel, I doubt he knows how to take one apart/put it back together.
    lol
    • CommentAuthorAeroAceV03

LULZ

go to a shop

ask them to take the wheel apart.

go buy some metal primer (sticks best)

buy black paint for metal-i think rust olem

makes it

then give i a day or 2 to make sure the paint is settled

you can give it a top coat for protection

then go back to the bike shop with your spokes,nip etc and ask them to put it back together

[:
    man... that'll cost more than the wheel is worth. just do it yourself and learn something new
    • CommentAuthorJ Juicy

get a deep v... or maybe you could like, powdercoat it and either have it be a fixie (if it isn't already) or use coaster brakes.
    or maybe just throw some words together so they don't make sense at all

Posted By: J Juicyget a deep v... or maybe you could like, powdercoat it and either have it be a fixie (if it isn't already) or use coaster brakes.

that must be the liquor talking...
    • CommentAuthorJ Juicy

wait. he wants black rims right? I think I'm trying to help, but not understanding well enough. you would need to not have brakes that screw the rims, right? so I guess any kind of paint... right? or am i completely wrong? sorry for not helping and wasting time.
    lol thats all good
    I just laugh if he follows smarty pants advice up there and pays a shop solid $60 (at least... most shops will charge wayyyyy more... try wheelgirl in Berkeley for like $100 a rim) just to diss and reassemble his rims. then on top of that the way Aero dude suggested painting the rim wouldn't last no two weeks. I'm just saying cause I've done it before... years ago. and thats how I learned. do it right do it yourself, learn and save money make sure you sand the shit before you paint it if you want the paint to stick longer than two weeks sand in between each layer.
    • CommentAuthorjadawg
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2008

powder coating is very cheap to have done
    oh yeah? how much you pay for a frame? and where is it so cheap?
    • CommentAuthorjdiamond

powder coating is cheap, i only paid $60 bucks to powdercoat my frame and fork. so powder coating some rims wouldnt cost much at all
    oh I'm sorry I'm just asking because that's what I used to do for a living and I still do it now occasionally and found my prices actually quite competitive $60 bucks for a solid color is no problem I can do it for less than that- but if no one else in the area does it I will raise my price. most powdercoaters around Oakland have minimums of $150 if you know something I don't let me know... but don't be coming with some shit out in Sacramento
    • CommentAuthorsixspeed

my friend had is Pake frame and fork powdercoated two colors, candy blue and white, at Leon's in Oakland for $90. additional $30 to powdercoat the chainring, stem, seatpost, bars, cranks, and cog. they did a good job too.
    wow that's more than the frame costs right there... leon's does have pretty good deals... but nothing I couldn't compete with, you just gotta let me know

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.