velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorjakejazzy
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2010

okay so spoke calculator is useless/im lazy.
    i figure there is alot of people on here with the same set up. can you help me out?
    • CommentAuthorjakejazzy

32 holes btw
    • CommentAuthorveggie

spoke calculator is useless? I find them great when i build wheels.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

The ubi spoke calculator has always done right by me.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

"im lazy" ≠ "spoke calculator is useless"

Just because you don't feel like going to one of the many online spoke calculators, selecting your hubs, rims, spoke counts and crossing and pressing the "calculate it, already" button, does not mean the answer you would get from doing so is foreordained to be wrong. How do you think all of us would get those numbers?

http://www.damonrinard.com/spocalc.htm
    http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/spokecalc/
    http://www.bikeschool.com/spokes/
    http://www.tech-mavic.com/tech-mavic/uk/calcul.htm
    http://www.houseof3d.com/pete/applets/wheel/appwheel.html
    http://lenni.info/edd/
    http://mach1.fr/uk_machines/pages/calculator.php
    Edd there is fucking awesome.
    • CommentAuthorjakejazzy
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2010

i dont care what you think i just want to know the spoke length
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Then use the spoke calculator.
    • CommentAuthorkneeeerow

Posted By: jakejazzyi dont care what you think i just want to know the spoke length

offended by the mans preference in spoke calc?
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2010 edited

Posted By: jakejazzyi dont care what you think i just want to know the spoke length

(facepalm)

Listen, sonny; do you think we have some magic spoke-length numbers in our heads, and we're just holding out on you to be pissy? We don't know what the correct spoke length for your hub/rim combination is.

If we need to know those numbers, we'd plug the hub/rim info into one or more of the spoke calculators above, and then pick spokes based on the calculation that made the most sense to us. After all, that's what professional wheelbuilders do, and they know way more about it than we do. Several of the spoke calculators were created by professional wheelbuilders (the UBI one, for example).

There is no secret document telling people what the right spoke lengths are. There are charts in expensive service manuals such as Sutherland, Barnett and UBI. Those charts are only as current as the publication of the specific manual; the chart in an existing book doesn't get updated by magic when new information/new parts come out; you have to buy a new manual, which will also go out of date. Even with the best calculations in the world, wheelbuilders often have to fudge a little bit, using spokes that are slightly shorter or (more likely) slightly longer than the calculated number. That's why VAR and other tool companies make expensive clippers to nip off the ends of overlong spokes. That's why Phil Wood and Hozan make expensive spoke cutting/threading machines: To trim standard lengths to precise, nonstandard lengths.

At any rate: Telling people that you're lazy, that you don't care what they think, and that the method everyone uses to calculate spoke lengths is useless does not encourage people to help you. It also doesn't inspire any confidence that you would use the information responsibly if we gave it to you; someone who'd rather get into an online pissing match instead of running a calculation that would take less than a minute is not someone who's likely to go to the trouble of building and truing a 32-spoke wheelset correctly.
    • CommentAuthorjakejazzy

Posted By: eaglerock

(facepalm)

Listen, sonny; do you think we have some magic spoke-length numbers in our heads, and we're just holding out on you to be pissy?We don't know what the correct spoke length for your hub/rim combination is.

If we need to know those numbers, we'd plug the hub/rim info into one or more of the spoke calculators above, and then pick spokes based on the calculation that made the most sense to us. After all,that's what professional wheelbuilders do, and they know way more about it than we do. Several of the spoke calculators were created by professional wheelbuilders (the UBI one, for example).

There is no secret document telling people what the right spoke lengths are. There are charts in expensive service manuals such as Sutherland, Barnett and UBI. Those charts are only as current as the publication of the specific manual; the chart in an existing book doesn't get updated by magic when new information/new parts come out; you have to buy a new manual, which will also go out of date. Even with the best calculations in the world, wheelbuilders often have to fudge a little bit, using spokes that are slightly shorter or (more likely) slightly longer than the calculated number. That's why VAR and other tool companies make expensive clippers to nip off the ends of overlong spokes. That's why Phil Wood and Hozan make expensive spoke cutting/threading machines: To trim standard lengths to precise, nonstandard lengths.

At any rate: Telling people that you're lazy, that you don't care what they think, and that the method everyone uses to calculate spoke lengths is useless does not encourage people to help you. It also doesn't inspire any confidence that you would use the information responsibly if we gave it to you; someone who'd rather get into an online pissing match instead of running a calculation that would take less than a minute is not someone who's likely to go to the trouble of building and truing a 32-spoke wheelset correctly.

i didnt even read your essay, all i was looking for was something pretty common here on velospace, ie a dura ace to velocity deep v 32h 3x spoke length. butt out if you have nothing constructive to say dude.
    • CommentAuthorkneeeerow

lol.
    if you didnt read his essay why you so mad?
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Jesus christ, stop getting so pissy. Either take the advice or GTFO.
    • CommentAuthorjakejazzy

Posted By: kneeeerowlol.
    if you didnt read his essay why you so mad?

Posted By: veggieJesus christ, stop getting so pissy. Either take the advice or GTFO.

WTF? lol
    it's like he's screaming at us with his fingers jammed into his ears. Lost cause... gg for trying, eaglerock.
    • CommentAuthorjakejazzy
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2010

pretentious little cry babies. i dont give a shit.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

You seem to give a shit about your spoke length, but not enough to look up 5 readily available measurements and plug them into a spoke calculator. Really?
    Left Spokes: 281.48 mm
    Right Spokes: 280.21 mm

that took me 2 minutes with spokemaster, and this assumes you have the single sided fixed track hub. lazy busters. jazzy you're a poser for wanting to build big flange hubs to deep rims anyway, so suck it.
    Also, as a general aside, if you can't do spoke calcs yourself the wheels you build probably suck! good luck wrecking your expensive parts! Lessons to the pocketbook are always learned more than others.
    • CommentAuthorkneeeerow

lgislator,
    your doing it right

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.