velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorVama
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2010

I'm sure this has been discussed to death but...

so I'm now unemployed but got a deal on a bike I can't pass up. however, I ride with a brake (sorry, too much traffic/hills to go without) and this has none, so I need to pick up a front caliper brake. I have a left tektro x-lever (right one is one my other bike) but I need the actual brake. now, I was going to buy a shimano 105 front brake but that whole unemployment thing kinda means I have to pull the trigger on the new bike and cut corners... are there other reasonable front caliper brakes for cheaper or should I just be looking for a used 105 (or put off riding the thing seriously for a little while and just tool around on it for the moment)?
    Go to your LBS and see what they have on the cheap or used for the time being, then save up for the 105
    • CommentAuthorVama

I certainly have several LBS's that I like/patronize, but curious as to opinions on calipers here... been laid up sick for a few days and would love to hear opinions while I'm not able to pop by shops. I see my brake as the last line of defense between me and death/injury, and so am interested in reliable, inexpensive calipers. the 105 front is not too expensive, really, but I would love to be riding as aggressively on the new bike ASAP as I do currently.
    Tektro makes good knockoffs of Shimano stuff. I always get those, with Kool-Stop pads.
    • CommentAuthorBamfs01
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2010 edited

I like the Tektro stuff too and have had good (but limited) experience with them.

$50 for the set and they've held up to regular use for over a year:

https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=20894&category=34

[edit]: They're made in silver too
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2010 edited

Posted By: VamaI certainly have several LBS's that I like/patronize

Is there a reason you're not going to the Bike Kitchen (or Cycles of Change, or Waterside Workshops/Street Level Cycles, or Trips for Kids) and rooting around for a used caliper?
    • CommentAuthorVama

thinking of that as well... but as I said, home sick.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

There is no reason to not buy a used dual pivot brake. Dual pivot brakes are one of those parts that will last and last. You wont notice a difference.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: wes m.There is no reason to not buy a used dual pivot brake. Dual pivot brakes are one of those parts that will last and last. You wont notice a difference.

And brand probably doesn't really matter, either. A lot of the lower-end Campagnolo DP calipers (Veloce, Mirage) can be gotten for sandwich money, and they'll brake just fine.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: eaglerockMirage

I got a pair for next to nothing, i think like $30?
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: veggieI got a pair for next to nothing, i think like $30?

Makes sense. I got a used set of Veloces off eBay for about $15 including shipping, which I split to use on this, where it successfully stops a great big guy. Studly brakes; just not as light or pretty as the fancy/expensive ones.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Matte black is fine by me.
    Posted By: eaglerockA lot of the lower-end Campagnolo DP calipers (Veloce, Mirage) can be gotten for sandwich money, and they'll brake just fine.

I would advise against their Xenon calipers, however. They are the lowest end, almost completely OEM only, and they suck wildly.
    I got a set of Cannondale CODA calipers off flea-bay for like 16 bucks and 4.50 shipping. Very nice looking and effective.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.