velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthortstadum
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2009

Hey everyone, i am in the process of building a wheelset and am looking at hubs. I ordered a pair of Dodici rims from Jacopo at vintagepista.com and i am wondering if i should be worrying about the weight of the phil's as the rims themselves are heavvvvy... sooo.. are Phil's really worth the money, are they really thatt good? Thank ya
    Personally, I like the Profile hubs much better than Phil Woods. They are lighter, look amazing, totally sealed, and are built from a company that has been making parts nearly as long as Phil Wood. They are also slightly cheaper I believe.

I ride the purple Profiles, but also think the white are really beautiful also.

http://www.profilefixed.com/hubs.html
    • CommentAuthorgreg

Can't go wrong with Phil's.
    • CommentAuthorjam guy

No contest....
    phil wood>any hub ever
    • CommentAuthorVman
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2009 edited

I rest my case.
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2009

quality
    but bit overrated.

and your wheelset is going to be heavy and slow as shit.
    The Dodici rims are 830g each. Deep V's are 582g. That is a pretty big difference. Although strong, they are one of the heaviest rims on the market. So, pairing them with the strongest, yet also heaviest hubs on the market is going to make one hell of a heavy pair of wheels. The guy above me is right.

To try to recover some of that weight back, I really suggest going with a lighter set of hubs.

My Profiles weight in at 270g for the rear, and high flange phil wood of the same length is 417g each. So that is about 294g lighter for a set. You could also use the Profile Ti bolts and save another 30g. If you really care, I guess.

I checked some other high end hubs like the ZIPP Track hubs, and those are heavier than Phil's.

Here is a new one to think about however...Paul hubs. http://www.paulcomp.com/frmhubs.html According to their site, they weight less than Profiles, and they are surely just a nice and strong as the best.
    • CommentAuthorwowzah

Posted By: bionnakiquality
    but bit overrated.

Overrated?

That's blasphemy. I have seen 20 year old phil wood hubs spin better than modern hubs.
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki

...and spinning wheels in a repair stand does not always translate into better rotation on the road, so that observation may be irrelevant.

phil bearings are excellent. I recommend just popping them into your less expensive hubs if you do not want to shell out the cash for phils or would like a lighter hubset.

and I think phil wood produces lovely products, but it is not like their hubs are magical like people make them out to be.

so, like I said:
    quality product of excellence and precision
    but a tad bit overrated.
    • CommentAuthorwowzah

you are going to have a tough time convincing me, phils just last forever... like a classic song
    on the road or in the stand, same difference... smooth smooth smooth, like butter
    they will probably out last you

the bearings, the bearing interface, sealed to perfection, hand crafted with the highest quality materials
    stir it all up into ambrosia

the only thing better than a phil wood hub is a phil wood bottom bracket
    perhaps the best investment you can make
    • CommentAuthorjam guy

You guys act like your race and you need to save rotating weight. You ride around on the street. You get hubs that will last forever for that purpose. Profile is too new to the game and paul hubs are alright. My Phils are 5 years old, unserviced, and I bet they spin better than anything on your bikes.
    • CommentAuthorwowzah

the company also makes the finest wheel chair hubs in america
    that's all you need to know
    you can be spinning on phils your entire life
    smooooovvv

so lace it up already
    Posted By: jam guyYou guys act like your race and you need to save rotating weight. You ride around on the street. You get hubs that will last forever for that purpose. Profile is too new to the game and paul hubs are alright. My Phils are 5 years old, unserviced, and I bet they spin better than anything on your bikes.

Profile is not new, they were founded in 68'. They just celebrated their 40 years, last year. Phil Wood was found in 71'.....so 38 years ago. So, Profiles actually been around longer than Phil wood. Of course, Profile has been BMX, but making BMX components is alot more demanding in strength and durablity, so Profile DOES know about to make strong parts.

I'm not sure if this guy is racing or not. Maybe he will be. But either way, a lighter bike and lighter wheels always seem faster and easier to ride with. Of course, no one is suggestion like, carbon fiber hubs! Any of the hubs listed above will do just fine and last for a LONG time.
    • CommentAuthorwowzah

"lighter bike and lighter wheels always seem faster"

way more important is how smooth the interfaces are at the bottom bracket and hubs... oh yeah and how strong you are

less friction + more power = more speed

grams don't mean jack, really a small part of the equation you are better off eating less
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki

rotational mass is important.

with his rims + phils + spokes + clinchers + tubes
    he's going to have really harsh, slow, and stupid heavy wheels.
    and I bet he radial laces the front wheel.

and I like to be fast - even on the street where traffic can be stop and go.
    racers do not have a monopoly on speed.

eh, it's not a choice I'd make. but then again, im into box rims / low-flange / tubular so perhaps my opinion is a bit askew.

I'd say the extra weight of the phils (when paired with those rims) just isnt worth their durability. he should go for less weight and replace the stock bearings with phil bearings, if anything.
    • CommentAuthorwowzah

rotational mass?

the hubs mean very little.... it's all in the rims, tires and tubes: take a physics class

you are also discounting the bearing interface, it's not just the bearings that make them smooth, it's quality craftsmanship all around

most people don't invest in the bottom bracket because others can't see the shiny phil wood label there, i will give you that
    Posted By: jam guyYou guys act like your race and you need to save rotating weight. You ride around on the street. You get hubs that will last forever for that purpose. Profile is too new to the game and paul hubs are alright. My Phils are 5 years old, unserviced, and I bet they spin better than anything on your bikes.

Profile is NOT new to the game. Profile may be new to the fixed game, but not the hub game. The last, they are so damn smooth, and I personally think they look better that many hubs out there. Plus they are comparatively cheap. Phils are really nice, so are Profiles. It seems to me that when you get into the high-end hubs, that they are all of similar quality, so weight, cost, looks, etc. matter more, because they are all going to survive an atomic blast no matter which brand you choose.
    • CommentAuthortstadum

Just to clear some things up.. I will not be racing, just cruising around campus and having a good time. I do the majority of riding in Minneapolis and Fargo, ND. So its super super flat. So im honestly not too worried about the weight. I just purchased the rims to be different and they look so sick, ill prob polish them up too.

Anyways, i am leaning towards the profile now for weight and money reasos... but i read somewhere the chainline or whatever it's called is dif then most. Will that be a problem when i pair it with some sugino 75's or dura ace njs. I ride a mercier kilo tt btw.

Thank you all very much for all of your help. I could not have done anything without you all and your sick rides
    I'm running the Profile hubs with Sugino 75's with a Phil Wood 110mm BB, along with a Surly cog....and the guy who set it up for me did not even have to do any fussing around to get the chainline right when installing. It was perfect, and runs totally smooth and silent.

I was not aware they used a different chainline when I bought them, but it seems to not have affected anything, even in the slightest.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.