velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorwyatt183
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2010

Hey guys, I;m new and this is my first post.

So I was trying to ajust the spacers on my fork and I took out my headset. I can't get it back together and I don't have a headset press. I tried using a mallet and a block of wood to get it sealed but it wont go in. BTW it's a threadless internal!
    Thanks Guys!
    why did you remove your entire headset to adjust the spacers?
    not sure what you mean by "get it sealed"... are you trying to pound the cups into the frame or just the bearings into the cups?
    • CommentAuthorquidose
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2010

Do you mean that you took out the fork and the headset came with it? If it is an internal (integrated) headset, then there are no cups (that need to be pressed in, that is) and no special tools needed. If it's a Zero Stack, then cups may need to be pressed in; but if this is the case, how (and why) did you get them out in the first place? But more than likely, this is just a matter of putting the headset back together correctly. I would suggest looking up pictures of the specific headset that you have - that may give you a good idea as to how it goes together.
    • CommentAuthorr.p.r
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2010

Go to your LBS. They'll charge you $15 tops, and likely explain what's going on.

Technically, it is possible to get HS cups in a frame with wood and a mallet. Also, I built a press in my younger days using a large threaded bolt, two blocks of wood and some mondo washers. I would show pictures, but it is at my folks house a few hours from here. But I am sure you can get the picture.
    we tried to put the headtube extenders on, and he has the kilo tt. We couldnt get the top bearings to seal as much as we wanted
    Posted By: wyatt183BTW it's a threadless internal!

Posted By: TRICKonmyTRACKwe tried to put the headtube extenders on, and he has the kilo tt. We couldnt get the top bearings to seal as much as we wanted

Jesus fucking Christ.

First off....the Kilo TT does NOT have an internal headset, but rather normal 1" threadless cups.

Second, if you pulled your fork off, the cups would not have come out because they would be stuck in the frame, so...do you remember hammering out the cups?

Third...don't go putting stupid shit like that Origin 8 aluminum headtube extender on your frame, because it's only going to fuck up your frame or fork, and be very dangerous. It's not worth it in order to do your cute little barspinzzzz.

Forth, and this is an important one....DON'T HAVE PEOPLE LIKE TRICKonmyTRACK HELP YOU WORK ON YOUR BIKE! That is like Tweedledee and Tweedledumber trying to fix a bike. "We couldnt get the top bearings to seal as much as we wanted" WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!

TAKE YOUR BIKE TO A SHOP AND HAVE THEM PROPERLY SET BACK IN YOUR HEADSET CUPS BEFORE YOU START TRYING TO SMASH THE FUCKING BEARINGS WITH A METAL MALLET!
    • CommentAuthorwyatt183

ya i was seein if the extender was worth it but it would just screw me over but now I am just gonna take it to a bike shop to get it pressed. it's the cup that needs to be pressed into the frame
    • CommentAuthorquidose

Posted By: quidoseDo you mean that you took out the fork and the headset came with it? If it is an internal (integrated) headset, then there are no cups (that need to be pressed in, that is) and no special tools needed. If it's a Zero Stack, then cups may need to be pressed in; but if this is the case, how (and why) did you get them out in the first place? But more than likely, this is just a matter of putting the headset back together correctly. I would suggest looking up pictures of the specific headset that you have - that may give you a good idea as to how it goes together.
    kilo tts don't use integrated or zero stack. o m f g
    • CommentAuthorquidose

Posted By: das_pyratekilo tts don't use integrated or zero stack. o m f g

Calm down, bud. It's the OP's mistake for not knowing what he himself has and for giving us bad and misleading information. It's also very hard to believe anything TRICKonmyTRACK says, so I guess I just ignored his post in this thread. Also, if in fact he and the OP were working on a bike together, then one or both of them is lying about the city in which they live. Once again, calm down.
    it was more of an omfg at trick. i wasn't actually pissed off haha
    the top was like that for me too, just get a sealed bearing headset and you're good. i just put a cane creek s2 headset on my kilo and i love it.
    this thread is funny
    • CommentAuthorquidose
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2010

Posted By: das_pyrateit was more of an omfg at trick. i wasn't actually pissed off haha

That was my other thought. Whatever, my apologies. Carry on trolls..

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.