velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I need to replace some 32h tubular rims that have flat spots in them. I'm looking at Mavic Reflexes (which I can get for $70 each) as well as some NOS rims on eBay. Can anyone offer input on what the best route would be? Any big advantages to new tubular rims versus older ones (all in new condition obviously)? Am I missing any current competitors to the Reflex that are in the same aluminum low-profile style and in the same price range?
    • CommentAuthorrpster
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2010

mavic reflex are the gold standard
    araya has some good rims as well
    velocity has the pro elite, tubular version of the deep v

with tubulars, its more about your gluing job.
    the rims are alot simpler than clinchers, so design is fairly easy meaning differences between brands is slim to none.
    • CommentAuthorbdawe

I just started riding a set of Reflexes and I like them. Velocity makes a low profile tubular called the Escape. There is a positive review on roadbikereview. I have no experience with them but am curious.
    • CommentAuthorheadphone

Just knock out your flat spots, and save yourself $140. Its wayyyyy easier to do with a tubular than a clincher, I've had a fair amount of success removing flat spots. Its all about the careful and judicious application of force.
    • CommentAuthorM0THER
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2010

What's the quality of your rims with the flat spots? If they're good enough to you it might be worth the fix but if not you should probably go with the reflexes. There are other tubulars on the market with a lower price than the reflexes but they're heavier. If you can afford the best, why not.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2010

Shoot, I'll sell you a brand new set of Campy/Campy wheels for $225 shipped.
    • CommentAuthorSplined
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2012

Nisi used to make some really light tubular rims. Fiamme are always good.
    • CommentAuthorCeya
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2012 edited

Mavic GEL280, GL 330 and GP4 are the old gold standards

Nisi and Fiamme can't remeber alot of models for them I still have some.

Campagnolo as a few like Victory (two models), Omega strada (in box and semi aero) and higher end rims that will set you back 150.00 per rim.

Sun Mistral makes good rims.

Araya still makes good rims.

If for street go hard anodized. less chance of putting a dent in the rim.

Find a good builder, if you don't build your own.

Knocking out as mention above can work with a block of wood and hammer.

S/F,
    CEYA!
    • CommentAuthorchku
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2012

Mavic GP4 or Super Champion Arc-en-Ciel for mine, but these are both old rims.

The Reflex is essentially a tubular Open Pro - same materials and manufacturing procedure - so sure to be very good.
    The other current-production rim worth looking at is the Ambrosio Nemesis - as used by Pro Teams at the Spring Classics.
    • CommentAuthorCoryShreds
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2012

I happen to have a set of nos araya world champion gold that are 32h super anodized if anyone is interested. Pm me

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.