velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I use a large Chrome bag, and personally, I think they are one of the best designed bags for carrying stuff on the market. Much more practically than a backpack because it holds more, and you can get in/out of it without having to take it off. They also fit your body well and don't bounce around when you ride your bike or run like a backpack does.

Anyway... tons of people tend to think they are funning looking, I guess. It does not really matter to me. But the other day I had someone yell "nice fucking bag asshole! HAHAHAHA!", and walking with a friend a few days ago a group of people start laughing and mentioning his bag when we walked by. His bag is just a black Chrome.

What do you guys think about messenger bags? Are they really that stupid looking, but just practical?
    • CommentAuthorgergm
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2009

Messenger Bags have become pretty trendy lately... but they are incredibly functional. Fixed Gear + Messenger Bag = Hipster. Unless you are a messenger.
    I wear a Messenger Bag from a company "Flat" made out of recycled inner tubes / seatbelts etc. its comfy, and works really well.. so fuck what people think.
    do what works for you. if you like your yellow and red super clean messenger bag, then rock the fuck out of it.

if you dont want to be called names, get a pink weaved basket for your bike.

That'll show them.
    Oh no, that is just a picture I found on the internet. That is not me. My personal bag looks like it been in several rain/snow/mud storms and is probably ready to be retired.
    people just hate on whats trendy. ive seen people wearing chrome bags make fun of fixed gear bikes. 99 percent of people are just plain stupid. fuck what people think. if you want to rock a chrome bag, rock one, and tell the idiots that make fun of people for their bags to go fuck themselves and take their clothes back to urban outfitters.
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2009

I've worn a few different messenger bags over the past few years and its got me by just fine. Sometimes I think a rolltop backpack would be better because on longer rides the single shoulder messenger bag strap is a pain.
    • CommentAuthorMaxThrash
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2009

I really like my old Chrome bag. Sits on just the right place on my back. I love that you can adjust the strap with one hand while riding (I'm pretty anal about having my bag be as flush with my back as possible). On top of that, they really can hold a ton of crap, and they really do keep things dry (unlike other 'waterproof' backpacks I've owned). I feel like this paragraph sounds like an ad for Chrome.

Here's my question: does anyone ever actually use the strap buckle? When I was a messenger I would just tighten and loosen the strap. I found using the buckle to take the bag on and off just slowed me down. The downside of this is that I've worn my strap halway down through contant tightening and loosening.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

maxthrash:
    i owned a chrome bag for a good few years and for christsakes that damn buckle was the most irritating feature of an otherwise good design. that stupid thing was as bothersome as the night is long. i did some messenger work for one summer but mostly i use my bag when i am commuting 10+ miles each way, all year long (in minneapolis/st. paul)

two years ago i ended up ditching it for a reload bag and i couldnt be happier. the sholder strap is super beefy so it takes a long time to break in but it is just about as easy to adjust and doesn't set a huge chunk of metal on my chest that i never used.
    chrome bags are nice because you can walk into most lbs and purchase them but i prefer my bag to sit on my right shoulder and its really hard to find stock bags set up that way.
    The buckle seems to be a key feature to Chrome bags, and it looks cool...but yeah, I rarely use it for anything. Sometimes if my bag is SUPER heavy and I'm too tired to lift it off, I will hit the eject button and let the bag fall onto a chair or something. So, not TOTALLY needed, it's still useful once in awhile. I know some people who ALWAYS use the buckle when taking off their bags.

The pull strap on my Chrome has been pulled/release so much that the strap fabric has become worn and frayed on the sides, so it no longer slides or pulls anymore very well. I tried burning it with a lighter to singe up the frayed sides, but that only lasted for a few days. too bad it cannot be replaced easy.
    • CommentAuthorianmichael

I'm not sure why people love to hate on whats trendy. This isnt always the case, but usually there is a reason why something is trendy and popular, and that reason is usually that its a good product. Everyone raises the stink about deep v's for the same reason, they are popular. They are also quality rims that make for a great city wheel. So shut your trap haters.

Obviously people who aren't messengers use them. Anyone who has to carry a lot of crap should use one whether they are riding a bike or not. Messengers use them because they are big. Why cant everyone else?
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

i think messengers may hate on other people wearing them because it drives the prices up. same thing with njs stuff. few years ago you could get a used njs frame in great condition for $400. and now it's what? $750 & up?
    • CommentAuthorhenrydec1

http://anchorbags.com/
    i have one, best bag you can buy.
    • CommentAuthorianmichael
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2009 edited

Posted By: the rabbii think messengers may hate on other people wearing them because it drives the prices up. same thing with njs stuff. few years ago you could get a used njs frame in great condition for $400. and now it's what? $750 & up?

Its called supply and demand.

btw, i'm just saying that it sucks.
    • CommentAuthordirtle
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2009

chrome nails the shoulder bag concept, padding, fit, and weight distribution. still... riding with the weight held by one side of the body feels unbalanced to my body, i'm intrigued by the baileyworks reversible-strap function. i would guess that having one bag/strap for both shoulders would mean it would lack the padding and form of a dedicated bag like the chrome.

if it could feel that good on both sides, my body would appreciate the balance! as it is certain lower back muscles are feeling extra stress...

anyone use this feature?
    • CommentAuthorwowzah
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2009 edited

I like being able to use the chrome bag as a cooler for beer.

It also has pretty good compartments.

My only complaint is that my buckle has become somewhat rusty and tough to engage after 4 years of use.
    • CommentAuthorfixedpuch
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2009

I ride with a rolly back pack.....
    • CommentAuthorjaybird74
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2009

I have the Baileyworks Super Pro. You're misinterpreting the reversible strap... it means that the straps themselves can be reversed and interchanged... but you still have it on one shoulder at a time. Still, it's by far the best bag I've owned and I've had a lot. It has integrated strap padding, behind the buckle around your shoulder.
    • CommentAuthorMaxThrash

I've considered getting a two-strap, but I feel like it would be hard to look over my shoulder?
    • CommentAuthordirtle

jaybird, tha's exactly what i meant! i didn't make that clear.

as for balance, i think a few good rides with the weight on the left shoulder could be balanced out, in a way, by riding with the bag on the right. at least, the other half of my back could share the burden, long term. and give my one side a break. i'd love to give it a shot... haven't seen any cats riding the bailey works out here in the gay bay. yet!
    blaq bags are pretty nice and fully custom for $125.
    • CommentAuthort0dk0n
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2009 edited

Hmm, I've had a Chrome bag for about five years. I don't really care that they're trendy, it's rugged and useful for everyday hauling. It was maybe $50 cheaper when I bought mine at the local Chrome store (wtf... $160 for the Metropolis now?). I wouldn't get a Chrome now because the new strap design is a little annoying. I like the old design with just a D-Ring, now it seems that they put a fixated proprietary d-ring that gets tangled way easier than the regular D-ring. But there is a new feature that I wouldn't mind having, the little strap to hold a light/reflector, but I can always try to sew that on myself. They're a great company, I broke my stabilizer strap after getting stuck in a MUNI train track in SF. They took a long ass time to fix it, buuut when I got it back they also replaced the worn out belt strap and reinforced my stabilizer strap. One of the only annoyances with my current bag is that no matter how tight I have it, even with the stabilizer strap on, it still moves around when I'm riding fast. Maybe I've been doing something wrong?

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.