velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthortbdrew
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010

I have a 2001 GT Rage Road Bike. It shifts fairly well occasionally on downshifts going uphill or when I want quicker acceleration fast. I have 105s with a 12/255 crank and 8 speed cassette. I am maritally forbidden from spending a bunch, I have thought about Ultegra shifters. Will this make a difference or what else can I do? Absolutely love the bike, no new ones in my future. Always get great ideas here. Also does any one know where I can get the decals for this polished aluminum beauty? Thanks Guys and Gals!!!!!!!!!
    I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. What is the problem with the current setup? Since you say that it occasionally downshifts well, does that mean that it often does NOT downshift well? The obvious questions would then be how can you tell and what happens? Also, you don't mention whether the problem happens at the front or rear derailer. I'm going to hazard a guess that we're talking rear here, especially since you mention your cassette gearing.

Regardless, upgrading the brifters isn't going to change anything about how the bike shifts unless your current brifters are not working, which, at least at this point, does not appear to be the case. It's far more likely that the derailer(s) needs to be adjusted, the brifters lubricated, the chain lubed (or replaced or examined for things like stuck links), and that the cables be examined for breaks, bends, and crap, and maybe lubed. All of these things would be easily covered by a low level shop tuneup.

Since you created a thread a while ago about modifying your gearing, and since your bike page lists a different cassette gearing than you mention here, I'm going to guess that you swapped the eight speed, 11-23 cassette with an eight speed, 12-25 cassette. If that is the case, and the derailer wasn't adjusted accordingly, that is definitely the issue. Additionally, if you somehow purchased an eight speed cassette with different cog spacing (which is quite unlikely, but possible, I suppose?), that is definitely, definitely the issue. Lastly, if you have replaced the rear derailer cable, that could also have contributed to the issue, as shift cables tend to stretch significantly within a fairly short length of time. The first and third parts can be fixed with the aforementioned tuneup, the second (cog spacing) issue can not be fixed and will need to be remedied by using a Shimano compatible cassette. Again, that is the least likely of anything I've written here to have happened.

At this point you should not have to buy anything new (save some cables and housing, maybe) to make the bike ride correctly. Shimano brifters of any variety are very expensive, and moving from 105 to Ultegra isn't going to do anything for you.
    • CommentAuthortbdrew
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010

Thanks, no I did not swap anything out yet. I think what this dumb ass (lol) is trying to say is response and smoothness of the shifting. It seems to "slam" or shift hard when going up hill and shifting to a higher gear. Again many thanks for your help.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.