velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2010

Posted By: eaglerock
    Posted By: wes m.I work at a mushroom farm

See, now THIS is useful information I could have exploited Sunday for my own selfish benefit. What varieties of mushrooms do you grow?

Backstory: wes and I shared a booth at the Trailhead Cyclery velo swap in San Jose CA last weekend. Sadly, wes had to go sell mushrooms before he got the chance to scarf down any of thelucullanpicnic I packed.

At my farm we grow various white mushrooms, specializing in giant buttons for stuffing. Sort of boring, I know. But here is the good news... Our farm is owned by a family that owns several other mushroom farms in the bay area and we have a shipping/storage facility that holds every variety they grow. We have all sizes of whites, all sizes of portabella (from button size (crimini) to 6 inch open caps), oyster, shiitake (several varieties), enoki, maitake, woodear, porcini, trumpet, and brown and white beech. I might be forgetting something. Most are available in organic or conventional.

Based on that single word it sounds like your lunch was good. I wish I could have stayed. My market lunch wasnt so bad though. There is an unwritten rule that if you work at the market you get a 50-100% discount on everything. For $2 I had raw milk, a bear claw, an apple, some mandarin oranges, and apple cider.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2010

Posted By: wes m.
    Posted By: wes m.I work at a mushroom farm

See, now THIS is useful information I could have exploited Sunday for my own selfish benefit. What varieties of mushrooms do you grow?

Backstory: wes and I shared a booth at the Trailhead Cyclery velo swap in San Jose CA last weekend. Sadly, wes had to go sell mushrooms before he got the chance to scarf down any of thelucullanpicnic I packed.

At my farm we grow various white mushrooms, specializing in giant buttons for stuffing. Sort of boring, I know. But here is the good news... Our farm is owned by a family that owns several other mushroom farms in the bay area and we have a shipping/storage facility that holds every variety they grow. We have all sizes of whites, all sizes of portabella (from button size (crimini) to 6 inch open caps), oyster, shiitake (several varieties), enoki, maitake, woodear, porcini, trumpet, and brown and white beech. I might be forgetting something. Most are available in organic or conventional.

Based on that single word it sounds like your lunch was good. I wish I could have stayed. My market lunch wasnt so bad though. There is an unwritten rule that if you work at the market you get a 50-100% discount on everything. For $2 I had raw milk, a bear claw, an apple, some mandarin oranges, and apple cider.

I wish I was your friend IRL, I'm sure my mom would too. While I'm at it, I'll whore out her vegan blog. She's not vegan, but she makes an effort to make all her posts over something vegan.

http://chezcayenne.blogspot.com/
    how do you pronounce oury, is it like ory or owry
    I've said this before, but I'm an early-mid childhood teacher and a parent. I've also been a mechanic, a waiter, a caterer, and worked in IT support.

Beside cycling, I am into food and music and crap.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2010 edited

Posted By: wes m.Based on that single word it sounds like your lunch was good. I wish I could have stayed. My market lunch wasnt so bad though. There is an unwritten rule that if you work at the market you get a 50-100% discount on everything. For $2 I had raw milk, a bear claw, an apple, some mandarin oranges, and apple cider.

Five cheeses (Manchego, double-cream Brie, chevre, a moderately old cheddar and a firm Italian cheese coated in grape must), a couple of salamis, Comice pears, Satsuma mandarins, several kinds of olives, Acme rustic sweet baguette, an aromatic salad (fennel, celery root, red cabbage), Grüner Veltliner and Tempranillo. Unfortunately, I couldn't get to La Bedaine on Saturday for Alain's most excellent boar terrine, and the Country Cheese Store was out of cornichons.
    • CommentAuthorScrodzilla
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2010

Posted By: suicide_doorsBeside cycling, I am into food and music and crap.

I like food and music too. Crap, not so much.
    Wait wait wait... you guys shop at fuckin Walmart?!?

I'm gonna pretend the second post in this thread was something like "well yeah but who in their right mind would ever give Walmart a single dollar of their hard earned?" and then it skipped straight to the cool part where you guys start talking about mushrooms.
    Mushrooms are the only good part of this thread.

So I'll share with you a recipe. It's even vegan, now that I think about it!

Boil a couple of cups of forbidden rice

Sauté a couple of cloves of garlic and a finely chopped shallot in olive oil in a wok. (If you're not vegan, I suggest using half butter)
    Add in a big handful of maitake.
    Deglaze with a dry sake. Absent that, a dry white wine is good. Deglaze sparingly — you don't want liquid in the end, but you want to make sure it's not sticking to the pan.

Throw your rice into the skillet and fry it lightly.

Chop a big head of parsley medium finely and toss it together.
    Grind in a goodly amount of pepper. If you can, use Balinese long pepper, but black pepper's still pretty good.
    Salt to taste — it can take quite a bit.

Serve with a merlot or other bodyful red. If you don't drink alcohol, I can't think of anything else that would have the right effect, but I bet you can.

What's great is this: black rice has this smooth texture, but it doesn't lose its shape. The maitake are likewise smooth, but have that fleshy mushroom texture. They're bass like a meat (though sometimes they have a sour flavor that I think comes from them sitting out too long or something), so they don't overwhelm the mellow rice flavors. The salt brightens it up a little bit, while the pepper sort of ups the volume.
    I can dig that recipe.

I am going to school to be a Merchant Marine. I will graduate from the California Maritime Academy with a BS in Marine Transportation and a Third Mate's License. Last year I worked for Godspeed Courier service in San Francisco.
    • CommentAuthorVama
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2010

how was working for godspeed?
    It was really fun, actually.

Because my last name is Morrissey (yes, I am related), they would call me by Morrissey and Smiths songs all of the time. I had to quit when it came time for summer, however, because my school required me to take an internship on a domestic container ship out of Oakland. I'm still friends with a lot of the guys that work there.
    Merchant Marine huh? That's interesting. What made you wanna get into that field? What kinda stuff are you looking to do with it? I've got a friend who went to to the Merchant Marine Academy in NY. He's doing humanitarian work in Africa right now.
    Ah, SUNY Maritime Academy or Kingspoint?

Perhaps he is doing something similar to what I want to do then?!

There is a company, who's name escapes me, that has a charity ship that transports grain to various ports in Africa to be given to some of the starving tribes there. A friend of mine grabbed the chance to intern on that ship before I could this summer, so I went on a ship that only dealt domestically.

I've always lived on the water. When I was a kid growing up in Ireland, my dad was a fisherman (oddly enough why I went vegan eight years ago) and when we moved to California when I was 14, one of my teachers mentioned this academy and it interested me far more than going to NYU for Journalism (which was my original first option).
    • CommentAuthorlatron

Posted By: LuvCumsInSpurtsit interested me far more than going to NYU for Journalism (which was my original first option)

Excellent decision.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: latron
    Posted By: LuvCumsInSpurtsit interested me far more than going to NYU for Journalism (which was my original first option)

Excellent decision.

These days, a degree from CMA is probably a lot more employment-useful than a journo degree, no matter where it's from.

When I was in music school, my then-girlfriend's older brother graduated from CMA and immediately got a job working on an oil rig off New Zealand (who knew!). He worked on the rig for a few years, and banked enough money to buy himself a chunk of wilderness property in Pollock Pines (Sierra foothills, between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe) and build a house.

A merchant marine education is often the hands-on version of a mechanical engineering education. There's a lot of gadgets on ships these days, and someone has to keep them working. I know a lot of grads from the Maine Marine Academy in Castine; several have gotten jobs doing stuff like elevator and HVAC repair in apartment complexes (in cities outside Maine, naturally).
    Posted By: latron

Excellent decision.

These days, a degree from CMA is probably a lot more employment-useful than a journo degree, no matter where it's from.

When I was in music school, my then-girlfriend's older brother graduated from CMA and immediately got a job working on an oil rig off New Zealand (who knew!). He worked on the rig for a few years, and banked enough money to buy himself a chunk of wilderness property in Pollock Pines (Sierra foothills, between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe) and build a house.

A merchant marine education is often the hands-on version of a mechanical engineering education. There's a lot of gadgets on ships these days, and someone has to keep them working. I know a lot of grads from the Maine Marine Academy in Castine; several have gotten jobs doing stuff like elevator and HVAC repair in apartment complexes (in cities outside Maine, naturally).

I originally went into CMA wanting to be a Marine Engineeer, but I decided at the last minute that I really liked the idea of navigating. Although, the engineering department here is renowned for the success of its graduates.

By the way, the school is not just a Merchant Marine Academy. It belongs to the CSU school system, and only two of the majors are license track. The school also offers Mechanical Engineering (option to go license track), Facilities Engineering Technician, Global Studies and Maritime Affairs, and Business degrees.

I still don't recommend this school to anyone. I have dealt with an incredible amount of injustice from the Leadership Development team on campus, and an incredible amount of ridicule from asinine students.
    Posted By: LuvCumsInSpurtsAh, SUNY Maritime Academy or Kingspoint?

Perhaps he is doing something similar to what I want to do then?!

There is a company, who's name escapes me, that has a charity ship that transports grain to various ports in Africa to be given to some of the starving tribes there. A friend of mine grabbed the chance to intern on that ship before I could this summer, so I went on a ship that only dealt domestically.

I've always lived on the water. When I was a kid growing up in Ireland, my dad was a fisherman (oddly enough why I went vegan eight years ago) and when we moved to California when I was 14, one of my teachers mentioned this academy and it interested me far more than going to NYU for Journalism (which was my original first option).

Kingspoint. And yeah that's pretty much exactly what he does. He loves the job. Hard hard hard work but rewarding as all get out.
    • CommentAuthorroddy
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2010

Posted By: wes m.Lets turn this into a what do you do in real life thread! We have already said all there is to say about the topic of walmart single/fixed bikes, had an argument, and now its time to get waaaayyyyyyy off topic.

I'll start. I work at a mushroom farm doing random things. I think Im a "team leader" or some crap which means I sell at farmers markets in addition to doing the accounting/scheduling/ordering for the markets. Also I sell mushroom compost or give it away depending on how worthy the cause is.

hey you ever work the market in japan town?
    Goddammit.

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2010/04/bsnyc-product-review-walmarts-mongoose.html

I couldn't decide whether to post this here or in the "most sought after" thread. I chose here.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2010

Posted By: roddy
    Posted By: wes m.Lets turn this into a what do you do in real life thread! We have already said all there is to say about the topic of walmart single/fixed bikes, had an argument, and now its time to get waaaayyyyyyy off topic.

I'll start. I work at a mushroom farm doing random things. I think Im a "team leader" or some crap which means I sell at farmers markets in addition to doing the accounting/scheduling/ordering for the markets. Also I sell mushroom compost or give it away depending on how worthy the cause is.

hey you ever work the market in japan town?

No but Ill be going to China Town in Oakland (old oakland market) on Friday. From what I hear the Asian markets are tough because the old Asian ladies do not mess around when it comes to produce purchasing.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.