velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorcjpark86
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2010

Hello

i'm trying to purchase one of the topic cranksets i just want to know which one you guys would perfer.
    i ride a fixed gear and i heard both are real stiff and good for road riding.

Sram Omnium Black crankset just came out, it's at www.chariandconyc.com

let me know!
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

I dont own either but I vote omnium. Word on the street is that they are on par with 75s but much cheaper.
    I ride both Omniums and Sugino Grand Mightys and can honestly say, I prefer the Omniums.
    Get the Omniums its cheaper and less maintenance on the BB
    • CommentAuthorBamfs01

I recently asked a similar question here in PDX. A national champion velodrome racer wrote this:

... I willingly switched to the Onmiums from the DAs. They are by far stiffer than any crank I've ever used. The only one I'd even consider using other than the Onmiums is the Sugino SG75s. But they do not have external bearings and they cost WAY more. I'll never go back to DA.
    You can get a new silver Omnium set for $175 shipped (as opposed to $245+ship for black). The black ones have been around for some time as an OEM only part. Chari/Co just worked out a deal with SRAM for a run of them (in 165mm only) for retail sale. If you're new to maintaining shit, get the Omnium, no question. If you're not, get whichever one you want. The 75 has zero mechanical or performance advantage over the Omnium in real life pedaling, costs more, doesn't include a ring or a BB (and is a PITA about them) and the setup will weigh more all told. The 75 is going out.
    Ha, I didn't know you were from Portland hiebr.
    • CommentAuthorBamfs01

Well I'm not originally but I've been here almost 10 years and love it. Are you here too?
    No, Eugene. I don't think anyone is actually born in Oregon, everyone seems to have moved from somewhere.
    • CommentAuthorBamfs01
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2010 edited

Haha so true.
    • CommentAuthorewurl

I've heard the external bbs used with the ominums have more drag than conventional bbs. I want to say I read it here somewhere. Anyone hear/experience something similar. Not specifically drag but a slight resistance or something along those lines. Maybe I am mistaken.
    That's par for the course for outboard bearing BBs, and not something that makes much if any difference when the bike is actually being ridden. It was also discussed here (most recently) like two days ago.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

the omniums are the perfect crankset to have when you are learning to do maintenance on your own bike. They are very easy to maintain. I love mine, and I just bought a set of black omniums for about the same price on that website (got mine through ebay), but I got them with the ceramic bb included. I dont think its worth it to buy the black ones for that much unless there are some extras. I agree with s_d. Just get the silver ones for 175. They look beautiful with any color, and you wont regret it. Or do as I did if you really want black and scout the internet for a month or so...some will show up.
    • CommentAuthorrpster
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2010

whatever you think looks better/feels better

why? they all work essentially the same (get you from point a > point b, or an endless loop) they just go about it differently

sugino 75s can spin more freely than most others when adjusted properly.
    i attribute this fully to having the simplest bearing setup possible.

omniums on the other hand have significantly higher drag compared to the 75s, most likely due to bearing seals and overall design.
    you can remove the seals or get a chris king bb, but you still wont be anywhere close to how smooth the 75s are.

shameless plug: dont count out dura ace. i feel they provide the best combination of both worlds, as they have a stiff spindle with a simple bearing design.

again, external bb is the stiffness king, but its much more likely that the rest of your bike will be less stiff than any of these systems.
    • CommentAuthorquidose

Posted By: rpsterwhatever you think looks better/feels better

why? they all work essentially the same (get you from point a > point b, or an endless loop) they just go about it differently

sugino 75s can spin more freely than most others when adjusted properly.
    i attribute this fully to having the simplest bearing setup possible.

omniums on the other hand have significantly higher drag compared to the 75s, most likely due to bearing seals and overall design.
    you can remove the seals or get a chris king bb, but you still wont be anywhere close to how smooth the 75s are.

shameless plug: dont count out dura ace. i feel they provide the best combination of both worlds, as they have a stiff spindle with a simple bearing design.

again, external bb is the stiffness king, but its much more likely that the rest of your bike will be less stiff than any of these systems.

+100
    Get the silver omniums. Black ones are just way overpriced. You can get silver ones for 180$
    • CommentAuthorbdawe

I ride both and prefer the Omniums. They are noticeably stiffer which makes them feel light years ahead of the 75s and the seal drag is a non-issue in the saddle. Sure my Superlap BB with 75 cranks spins smoother in the garage but the GXP with Omniums feels faster under power.
    • CommentAuthorYo
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2010 edited

I had Omniums and sent them back in favor of sg75s.

I think there's more to it than just stiffness and price; I think a set of outboard bb track cranks looks horribly out of place on a thin tubed steel Keirin frame. If I had something in aluminum I'd probably run them in a heartbeat. Open ball bb's do spin very freely, but they're simply not practical out of the velodrome. Only one of my track bikes has open ball stuff these days.

If money is no object, I really don't think you can do better than an SG75 on a Phil bb. Square taper FTW.
    Phil BBs suck for their price (and have a tendency to break spindles a lot becuase they're over hardened), and are against the whole point of running a square taper bottom bracket, which is to run a really nice open balled bottom bracket.

Omniums might be popular with US guys, but everything Olympic is either DA 7710 or occasionally Sugino.

But honestly it's all bullshit because no one here is going to the Olympics or Worlds.

And I guarantee people who think they can feel difference in crank stiffness on here have some serious cognative dissonance going on unless you're pushing 2000 watt sprints.
    • CommentAuthorBamfs01
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2010 edited

Posted By: octopus magicPhil BBs suck for their price (and have a tendency to break spindles a lot becuase they're over hardened), and are against the whole point of running a square taper bottom bracket, which is to run a really nice open balled bottom bracket.

Omniums might be popular with US guys, but everything Olympic is either DA 7710 or occasionally Sugino.

But honestly it's all bullshit because no one here is going to the Olympics or Worlds.

And I guarantee people who think they can feel difference in crank stiffness on here have some serious cognative dissonance going on unless you're pushing 2000 watt sprints.

I'd take OM's advice but I don't think you'll be breaking spindles, OM seems to be a very strong, well seasoned rider. I don't expect most of the people here will be breaking spindles or as he pointed out, noticing the difference in crank stiffness amongst top crank sets. DA 7710's are spendy but you can sometimes find a lightly used set for much cheaper. Suginos are solid and have many color options (if you're going by looks), and Omniums seem stiffest/easiest to maintain.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.