velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorMaxHill
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2010 edited

All I know is it has Columbus air tubing and it might be a Benotto since it has a Heart on the bottom bracket.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2010

• CommentAuthorparkman14

de rosa?
    • CommentAuthorMaxHill

what makes you think its a de rosa?
    • CommentAuthorM0THER

What was your paint job like before? I don't know if that's a de rosa...I usually don't see de rosa's with fastback seat clusters, then again, I might not be looking hard enough.
    • CommentAuthorMaxHill

it didn't have the original paint. I'm pretty sure it was just spray paint seeing how bad of shape it was. it would just flake off and sparyed unevenly. Wouldn't it be a Benotto with the heart?
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: MaxHillWouldn't it be a Benotto with the heart?

Dunno about Benotto, but the heart is DeRosa's schtick, as demonstrated here...

I don't know that you can trademark a heart shape; if memory serves, a lot of companies have used lugs with heart-shaped cutouts. A smaller number of companies (names escape me at the moment) have used BB shells with heart cutouts, but DeRosa is the famous one.
    • CommentAuthorMaxHill

so theirs pretty much no telling who made it then?
    • CommentAuthorMaxHill

it also has Shimano UFP-10 rear drop outs if that helps at all
    • CommentAuthorM0THER
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010

I know benotto has had cut out hearts on the bb shell but they've looked a bit slimmer...idk. Do you think it could quite possibly be a custom frame? I doubt an Italian/Mexican frame would have Japanese drop outs.
    • CommentAuthorLegislator
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010

Looks like a bicycle frame to me. Looks chromed which would explain the paint not sticking. If the paint job sucks then its probably French or Italian. Columbus Air increases the likelihood of it being custom.

Good luck finding a seat post.

If you really want help with an ID, ask the classic rendezvous guys, not this site, they are serious bike dorks and most of them are old school.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2010 edited

perhaps you could ask Danzap209 if he has had any luck with his columbus air frame-- i know he was looking to identify it, and if i remember correctly it had some kind of heart cut-out on the bb shell (not sure if it was similar to your or not, there is a thread on here about it though).

if i remember correctly some people thought it may have been a custom SR frame....

[edit] yeah, nevermind, i think the only real similarity between both of your frames is that they are columbus air. there goes that attempt at being helpful. anyhow Danzap209
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2010

Danzap's thread about his weird oval seatpost frame:

https://velospace.org/forums/discussion/1250/vintage-dura-ace-oval-seatpost/
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

• CommentAuthorGone

Definitely not a De Rosa. Never seen a DR with Max Air tubes and I own several early De Rosa's but I've seen a few fastback DR. I think it's an unknown artisan frame, the rear drops looks Japanese style.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2010

As another data point, an Olmo frameset alleged to be Columbus Air has just been listed on SF CL:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/1659095204.html

Olmo Road Frameset 55cm - $375 (inner sunset / UCSF)

Date: 2010-03-24, 9:28AM PDT
    Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

-Olmo road frame set - 55cm - columbus air tubing - 27.2 post - includes 1" threaded record headset & record BB w/carbon shell (italian threads) - asking $350
    the previous owner had the frame powder coated "cherry black". i love the frame but it's a bit too small.

It's a little hard to tell whether it's actually Air, but some of the photos have tubes with that same ovalized appearance:

Note the photo from above the seat tube in particular.

On the seat post problem, you may have more luck than danzap had, because of the seat tube cluster. The key thing is the set screw at the back of the cluster, which looks to me like it's there specifically to lock in a normal cylindrical seatpost. Here's a build photo of the CL frameset; it's using a Miche Supertype post with a standard cylindrical shaft:

From the looks of it, you could use the set screw to clamp in whatever standard alloy/steel seatpost you wanted. I'd be pretty gunshy about clamping down on a carbon post that way, though.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2010

Posted By: eaglerockOn the seat post problem, you may have more luck than danzap had, because of the seat tube cluster. The key thing is the set screw at the back of the cluster, which looks to me like it's there specifically to lock in a normal cylindrical seatpo

danzap's frame has the same set screw style seat cluster as maxhill's. the bike you posted has a normal binder.

I have read in more than one place that Columbus Air was available in both the teardrop shape and the standard cylindrical shape. No idea.
    • CommentAuthorMaxHill
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2010

this one is tear drop. its meant for the columbus air seat post. I'm being to think I wont find out who it was made by probably some custom. regardless its still sweet ass

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.