velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorride slow
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2010

Posted By: suicide_doors
    Posted By: ride slowYou guys are dumb, people can ride whatever bike they have fun on.
    Make fun of people with bright green pista concepts or something.

Forgive me, but I would love to come home from work andnotsee Japanese Nazis, homophobes, or non-participatory bitching and shitty attitudes clogging the forums.

Don't be dramatic
    How was I being dramatic? Did you not bother to read aforementioned posts? To me, calling people names for having different opinions is about the same as calling them fags or being Japanese and yet somehow supporting white power. I know all those feelings exist out there in the world, but it doesn't do any good to share them here, especially when the poster doesn't bother to actually add anything to the conversation.
    • CommentAuthorisaac
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2010 edited

Posted By: parkman14

Mind Field has really good editing and cinematography if your into skate films, Not to mention Heaths part.
    • CommentAuthorisaac
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2010 edited

Posted By: parkman14There are some realllly good skate films. Yeah, skating is really nice to watch if the video isn't all choppy, even if you don't skate. I've seen a lot of really well made videos, conceptually and content wise.

This is what i was trying to quote.
    • CommentAuthorride slow
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2010

Posted By: suicide_doorsHow was I being dramatic? Did you not bother to read aforementioned posts? To me, calling people names for having different opinions is about the same as calling them fags or being Japanese and yet somehow supporting white power. I know all those feelings exist out there in the world, but it doesn't do any good to share them here, especially when the poster doesn't bother to actually add anything to the conversation.

Calling Various different people that i don't know dumb, because they are putting down
    a sport that they don't partake in has nothing to do with racism or homophobia.
    You sir were the one telling people to stick with bmx bikes to do tricks on, you didn't state your opinion
    told people what to do. I was calling you guys names because you are telling people what bike to ride
    because you don't think the tricks flow well. You were being dramatic by comparing my defense to
    racism, and homophobia.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010

His opinion was "leave it to bmx." I think that was obviously stated.
    • CommentAuthorjakejazzy
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2010

i think alot of people got me wrong, im not condeming 700cmx i like it, but i think it would be better with freewheel riding, some vert etc flairs n shit.

NB its does get on my nerves tho when people call volume cutters 'track bikes'
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

That would just be an urban mountain bike.
    • CommentAuthorSL wheeler

Or a mountain fixie!!!
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

I've actually put considerable thought into this. If I was going to take fixed gear tricks seriously I'd convert my 26" monocog. Its barspinnable with no toe overlap with 175 cranks. The frame and fork are beefy. Strong 26" rims are cheap and readily available. 26" commuter slicks are cheap and readily available. It has 110 spacing so it will fit almost any fixed hub. Its easy to wheelie. Is there a reason I dont see this being done? Does 26" = no street cred?

Posted By: wes m.Does 26" = no street cred?

Yes, but you should do it anyway.
    • CommentAuthorLegislator

Posted By: wes m.Does 26" = no street cred?

I've wondered this also. If its about riding between tricking spots, the difference in speed between a 700c fixed gear and a 20" bmx is big, but between a 700c fixed and 26" freewheel is negligible, especially if you're on high pressure slicks either way. If its about using a bike that you can trick on to the fullest, 20" BMX will always win, if its about getting to the next spot the fastest, a big bike will always win. 26" stuff is easy to get, cheap, and alot of bmx parts (like detanglers) slap right onto modern and old ATB type bikes, letting you do barspins/tailwhips and have dual brakes (they have that stuff for hydraulic discs and gears now for christs sake).

I'm all for stupid bikes, sometimes using the wrong tool for the job, as well as doing stuff because you can and not necessarily because you should, but I do not understand tarcking. To each their own and all, but the lack of people doing the same tarck type tricks on big bikes that make sense for tricking (like redline monocogs) makes me suspect that people are doing this all on color coordinated trackish type bikes more for form than function.

I would rather be proven wrong than right on this.
    A lot of freestyle guys are riding dual 26" setups. Prolly wrote an excellent article on it, and he discusses the cons of a fixed redline monocog - http://prollyisnotprobably.com/2010/03/when_700cmx_is_no_longer_700c.php

ALSO -

"I'm all for stupid bikes, sometimes using the wrong tool for the job, as well as doing stuff because you can and not necessarily because you should, but I do not understand tarcking" - Those are totally contradictory statements. If you're having trouble wrapping your head around why it's fun to do tricks on a "track" bike, then try it. You might like it, or maybe it wont be for you. Its that easy. Either you enjoy it or you don't. If I'm not into something then I don't focus on it, that would be a waste of my time.

As far as the argument about form vs function:
    Most of the more hardcore freestyle riders are riding setups very similar to most bmx's. There aren't a lot if really flashy setups in the cmx game. Mostly black bikes. Even so, i know a LOT of talented BMXers who are just as into colors & parts as a lot of track guys....
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2010 edited

All I know is if I tried to do what I do on my BMX on my Aerotrack I would fold the 4x laced VeepD in a heartbeat, and probably bend or break the fork, but I am not a skinny little kid.

I ride my 2:1 geared MTB from spot to spot. The gearing is actually lower than what's on my BMX, but because i can sit down and pedal on it, it is much less fatiguing than riding a BMX a long distance.

The reason that fat tired bikes are unpopular for this is because if you are riding one you are not a cool urban cosmopolitan hipster anymore, you are suburban white trash. It's about image.

There are some amazing 24" and 26" BMX/Dirt Jump bikes out there, and they all will accept a fixed hub. Give this activity/sport 5 years and that's what people will be riding.

And the matchy-match colorways thing came out of BMX.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Uhh, Im confused. My 26" monocog has a bb thats 1/2 inch higher than my track bike (the 29er is an inch higher) and thats with 26" wheels. Isnt the ordinary track bottom bracket about 11 inches off the ground? With that guys 700c monocog wouldnt the BB be more like 11.5-12 inches? Why is he complaining about a low bottom bracket? Also, the long top tube, dont all tarck bikes have long top tubes for barspinning purposes? I'm not trying to prove that my idea is the coolest shit ever. I just think that those guys didnt get their math quite right.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2010

The crank are 10mm longer, and street tires are usually a slightly smaller diameter than knobbies. The crank have a wider Q-factor which means the pedal stick out further reducing your lean angle.

I think the BB on my Aerotrack is at least 11.5 and I have never had a pedal strike unless you count rubbing my feet against the front tire.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2010

Posted By: SkidMarkThe crank are 10mm longer, and street tires are usually a slightly smaller diameter than knobbies. The crank have a wider Q-factor which means the pedal stick out further reducing your lean angle.

I think the BB on my Aerotrack is at least 11.5 and I have never had a pedal strike unless you count rubbing my feet against the front tire.

Yeah, but this guy had a 26" monocog set up with all tarck components including 700c wheels. I'd assume he had 165mm bmx/road cranks.

The monocog with 1.5" tires has bb height of 11.5 inches. Add 700c wheels and use the 38c tires that are common in tarck and you have a bottom bracket thats over a foot off the ground. Then put on some 165mm cranks and theres no effing way you are going to strike your pedal. Thats the point Im trying to make here. If anything the bb is too high and you are going to be off balance but these guys are complaining about it being too low.

Am I missing something?
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

I think you're right wes, I'm not sure what the dude is on about. I was assuming it was just a Monocog with street tires.
    Posted By: SkidMarkAll I know is if I tried to do what I do on my BMX on my Aerotrack I would fold the 4x laced VeepD in a heartbeat, and probably bend or break the fork, but I am not a skinny little kid.

I ride my 2:1 geared MTB from spot to spot. The gearing is actually lower than what's on my BMX, but because i can sit down and pedal on it, it is much less fatiguing than riding a BMX a long distance.

The reason that fat tired bikes are unpopular for this is because if you are riding one you are not a cool urban cosmopolitan hipster anymore, you are suburban white trash. It's about image.

There are some amazing 24" and 26" BMX/Dirt Jump bikes out there, and they all will accept a fixed hub. Give this activity/sport 5 years and that's what people will be riding.

And the matchy-match colorways thing came out of BMX.

Yea im with you skidmark, i think its just a matter of time, but, i think color schemes came from themselves, because no one wants a bike that looks ugly, back when bmx started it was all just chrome stuff, now everything is black. on the other hand when you see a fixed gear its all about colors for some people
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010 edited

BITD it was chrome and red, blue, and gold anodizing. When freestyle got big it was neon, then all white, and then pink/purple. This technicolor yawn caused a rebellion where everything got painted flat black, and then it was clearcoated bare metal. The somehow BMX got emo, and drifted into colorways and girl pants.

I think it's because the BMX and fixed gear style are so close right now it's what is causing the clash between the two.

Maybe in the future we'll realize that we all ride bikes, and find some brotherhood in that.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.