velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorJonnyB4
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2010

does anyone know how i should get spray paint off of my aerospoke? i was thinking some sort of paint stripper but i'm not sure what it would do to the carbon composite
    No don't.

Use a light grit (500ish to 800ish) dry.

Wet sand it with higher grits to make it smoother.

FWIW, all you're going to see is ugly primer. Once you hit black though, STOP SANDING.
    • CommentAuthorJonnyB4

awesome, thanks
    • CommentAuthorBeeZy
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2010 edited

if its spray paint i used a scraper type tool. i got a trispoke with tons of ugly rattle can on it and i just scrapped it off with no affect to the carbon weave. since aerospokes are pretty much just a plastic type material unlike the weave of a trispoke it wont do any thing to it. i used a scrapper that was similar to a screw driver
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

Do not use any sort of a solvent to remove the paint. It could react with the plastic resin and ruin the wheel.

Pop in a movie, grab some 180 grit sandpaper and some water, and wet sand the paint off. Chances are that the person who painted it did some sanding so the chances of the finish underneath being intacts are slim. You could also get most of the spray paint off with the 180 and then switch to 400 to get down to the original paint, and then clearcoat it, but after that much work it makes more sense to shoot it to match the original paint.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

scraper.
    • CommentAuthordanzap209

Fastest way would be to sand it off. Start with some 320 grit then 400 or 600. You can skip the 400 or 600 if your going to paint it. Use a self etching primer.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

Speaking as someone with bicycle and motorcycle restoration experience I'd start with a coarser grit, unless you have the better part of forever to waste.

An etching primer might harm the composition of the wheel the same as a solvent would.
    • CommentAuthorcage

Posted By: danzap209Fastest way would be to sand it off. Start with some 320 grit then 400 or 600. You can skip the 400 or 600 if your going to paint it. Use a self etching primer.

Self etching primers are only for use on metal. And if you are going to paint it i would still take it up to about 500 or 600, just knock the previous paint down a bit and spray over it.
    Posted By: SkidMarkAn etching primer might harm the composition of the wheel the same as a solvent would.

This, plus a layer of primer will make it look bonus shitty if the paint gets chipped. Use a clear, non-etching adhesion promoter instead.
    • CommentAuthorcyciumx

wet sand a test patch, if the primer is still there then use the newer version of Goofoff. Very quick and it won't turn your plastic composite into a variety of unstable strands (more than it originally was anyhow)
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

This phobia of hand sanding is almost as ridiculous as toe-overlap-o-phobia.

Rubbing off the paint with goof-off would be just as strenuous and time-consuming as sanding.
    • CommentAuthorSL wheeler

Just light the wheel on fire and hope he paint just melts off.
    • CommentAuthorcyciumx

I've done the whole sanding and goofoff thing and if there is a buffer before the carbon then goofoff is quicker. Thats my real world experience. That has to do with caked on paint. if its the original paint and its not extra thick than I agree... sanding to eat the clearcoat and the topcoat is the easiest way.
    goof off and a little bit of stripper mixed together in a bucket and then get a sponge
    • CommentAuthordanzap209
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010

Throw it in a burning barrel.... check it in a day or so :)
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010 edited

220 grit sandpaper, water, and a little dish soap

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.