velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorBeeZy
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2010 edited

anyone ever dealt with one? i received a damaged bike the other day and UPS is picking it up for inspection. anyone ever done something like this? of course it was purchased from a private seller and he claims that it was mint...but claims that it was damaged in shipping and this wasn't his first experience with it
    • CommentAuthormuschology

Only one with USPS, but it was a $150 screen print inside a tube that ended up crushed en route. They needed the original receipt as proof of insurance, and all the packaging. They refunded the money after about a month, but HAD to destroy the print in the process so you didn't end up with the merchandise and a claim. Not sure how UPS rolls.

Was there anything wrong with the box it was shipped in?
    I had a frame damaged by UPS... at first they refused the insurance claim but then the seller filed another claim and it was accepted. I'll never get anything through UPS again.
    • CommentAuthorBeeZy
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2010

what happened? the seller said they would either write a check or replace i know id prob not get the original back huh..
    TAKE PHOTOS OF THE BIKE AND PACKAGING NOW, BEFORE THEY PICK IT UP!

I have had a few experiences with UPS/FedEx/USPS claims. USPS has been the most forgiving in terms of packaging and condition, UPS has (for me) been by far the worst.

I should first mention that with UPS, the responsibility for following through on the claim falls to the shipper, and if you paid with Paypal you should file a report right now to avoid missing the claim window (they hold the seller responsible for these issues, so definitely, definitely do that, and tell him you're going to do it "just in case"). You can file a report with UPS, but the shipper has to take care of the claim itself (which is either repair cost or replacement cost). As muschology said, they're going to want proof of insurance (like, an official receipt for how much you paid for the bike), and all of the packaging that was used. Additionally they asked me (the shipper) for proof of condition prior to shipment, and any other relevant documentation (like quotes from companies for repair or replacement).

Be warned that it is at their discretion whether or not to pay the claim, and how much they will pay. They really do inspect the damage and the packaging, and if they decide that the packaging was sub par or that the frame could have been damaged before shipment, they won't pay. So, as I said, if you paid via Paypal, file the claim immediately to ensure that you get what you paid back. Paypal will almost always side with the buyer in these situations.

I take a lot of photos of the bike before shipping, and of the bike when it is all wrapped up just to be certain that they can't fuck me over if there is a claim. I would advise anyone shipping a bike to spend ten minutes taking photos all through the process, and not to let a shop pack a bike unless you're there and watching (I had a bad experience with this).

Good luck.
    • CommentAuthorBeeZy

so i should repack it pretty good? only shitty thing was i had destroyed the box after suckkk..
    • CommentAuthormpthomps

I completely agree with suicide_doors. Take pictures of the damages areas on the box (if you can still locate them) as well as how the box's damage corresponds to the bike's damage. If you did use PayPal, they are incredible about making sure you don't get ruined in a transaction (assuming you're not at fault). File a claim with them if you can and re-read all the details of your shipping insurance.

Mainly, document everything you can and take every painstaking step towards making it clear that the state of delivery is unacceptable. They tend to drag the process out so just be prepared and call/email them whenever possible to try and expedite things.
    • CommentAuthorcyciumx

I work for UPS, but not for their external division. I do know enough that someone (The shipper in almost all cases) need to constantly harass them and the process takes about 2 months on average. In that time the shipper should have either refunded your money or sent you a replacement. They will in return either get a refund or a replacement from UPS, but on its own separate time-frame from yours.

When the shipper refuses to deal with you and opts to wait until they get something out of the shipping company then PayPal will compensate you and charge the shipper - If you file in time.
    • CommentAuthorcyciumx

I also work at Costco...and in fact handle the store I work in and the shipment facility together...so I know a thing or two about what bitches all parties involved in can be. Crap packaging and crap handling aren't a good combination, but excellent package almost always wins out against bad handling. If something is shipped right then something catastrophic (in internal expectations) must happen for it to get damaged to the point of being filed a lose.
    How is working for Costco? I've heard that their employees are a happy bunch. At least on the whole.
    • CommentAuthorcyciumx

Costco employees are a lot happier than UPS ones...ha ha ha

Very nice company to work for, either as management or non-management (I'm on the management side of both places)

Its 18-30 years old that are making more money than most their age in the retail industry so they are cocky... horny... and happy

The older folks are just the last two qualities...ha ha ha...kinda more true than I would expect, but....
    • CommentAuthorM0THER

Posted By: BeeZywhat happened? the seller said they would either write a check or replace i know id prob not get the original back huh..

"Pics or it didn't happen" applies to any exchange that involves shipping too. I'm not sure how destroyed the box is but I'm guessing it's not going to help with getting anything from UPS. Be sure to repack the goods as best as your could, maybe even better than the seller and you might have a chance.

How did you pay for it? If you used Paypal you're in luck and can probably get your money back. Just make sure you file a claim within 45 days or you won't get anything! You should try to contact the seller again and maybe even convince him to work with you rather than him/her not giving a shit at all. It's a little shady that he's has experience with damaged goods before and she/he's not willing to help out, Idk.
    They're asking you to repack the bike? My buyers didn't have to do that, I don't think. Kinda doesn't make sense.
    • CommentAuthorM0THER

Posted By: suicide_doorsThey're asking you to repack the bike? My buyers didn't have to do that, I don't think. Kinda doesn't make sense.

I got a damaged frame and assumed they just wanted to check out the item so I didn't repack it, turns out I was wrong. They gave me a warning that if I didn't have it repackaged by the next time they come to pick it up they weren't going to take it at all. I guess they want to check whether it was the seller's terrible packing job and not them? I don't know.
    • CommentAuthorM0THER

Then again, I'm don't know what beezy's situation is. Maybe he doesn't have to repack it
    Ohhhh, you're saying they wanted you to pack it the way you received it? That makes more sense.
    • CommentAuthorM0THER

Mhm! I actually packed it better than my seller did though...
    Fool!!!
    • CommentAuthorM0THER

I know! I'm a terrible person! I just wanted to get some moniez!!!! HAR HAR HAR. Actually it all went towards repairing the frame and you've even seen the finished product (fumingator's track)
    • CommentAuthorM0THER

Wait, I misread that and thought it was plural meaning you were referring to UPS. Yeah, the seller even worked in a business with shipping bikes and stuff, I was surprised that he didn't put more cushion for the pushin'0

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.