velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthortbdrew
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2010

I ride a GT Rage Road Bike which circa 1198-2003 I am told. It has a Shimano 105 setup with a Twin crank. I live in Upstate NY and would like to be able to handle some of the bigger climbs in the Finger Lakes this summer and I am afraid the twin does not cut it. I see lots of Ultegra stuff for sale and I believe I will have to replace everything which will be cost prohibitive. Any thoughts or ideas? If I find a 105 triple will I need to replace shifters? Thanks for any help gang!
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2010

To convert your bike to triple in the front you will need: 1) new cranks 2) a bottom bracket with a longer spindle 3) a 3rd chainring 4) a new front derailer 5) a new left shifter for triple

You may also need a rear derailer with a longer cage.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2010 edited

Get a smaller inner chainring, or get a cluster with a bigger inner sprocket, or both.

As it is you probably have 3 or 4 redundant ratios.
    • CommentAuthorrpster
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2010

assuming this is 9sp, although im not sure they had that out circa 1198.

go compact crankset with a wider-geared cassette.
    reasoning: less weight, less redundant gears, less expensive, than a triple 'downgrade'

id suggest sram for cassettes, as they almost always do better (sane, no 11-21 corncobs) gearings than shimano

you'll have to move to hollowtech II for a compact set, but you most likely wont have to get a longer cage rd. just remove some links from the chain. yes, the chainrings are narrower for 10sp, but the spacing is the same so shifting isn't effected.
    • CommentAuthortbdrew
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2010

Thanks for the advice!!!

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.