velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorbostik11
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2010

I am a casual bike rider and I am used to riding mountain or commuter bikes. A few months a go I decided to try a road bike, so i purchased an old school Favorit bike with drop down handlebars. The frame size is 58cm and I am 5'7 1/2", i thought the frame size would be appropriate using the chart guide found here http://bicycling.about.com/od/howtoride/a/bike_sizing.htm, but I find it slightly difficult to mount onto the bike. I'm looking at other chart guides and the frame size should be smaller for my height. Can anyone tell me what would be an appropriate frame size for my height. Some bike shops offer bike fittings at a charge, are they worth paying for this service?
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Just go to a shop and try out a few differet sizes. We cannot properly size you on the internet. I would say you're gonna be in the 50-52cm range.
    • CommentAuthorkaaos

try also competitivecyclist's fit calculator (competitivecyclist.com). it is the best online calculator I found so far.

based on your height only I would say 58 is too big for you unless you have a spider legs :)
    I am 6' tall and 56 for track bike is just perfect for me, judging by my legs length I am somewhere between spider and duck
    Yeah, there is no possible way a 58cm would ever fit you correctly, even if your legs and arms were really long. I'm about 5'7" with a 31" inseam and my road bike size is 51-52cm C-C. Track is more like 49-50cm. I would strongly suggest you do what the rabbi suggested and go to a shop. You don't have to buy anything, but someone needs to be in the room with you to be of any real help. The CC calculator is a good one, but you will need someone else to help you measure.
    Without knowing more than your height, it's hard for anyone to say, but 53cm to 55cm is probably where you will end up being most comfortable.
    Man... I'm 5'10" with fairly long limbs, and my 56cm Schwinn is a bit tall for me.
    • CommentAuthorbostik11
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2010

Thanks guys, you confirmed what i was afraid of. I was hoping to keep my 10-speed and restore it, but i guess i'll put it up for sale.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

Guys.. quit talking about heighth and start talking about inseam. It's the most essential ingredient to a frame sizing.

I'm 5'9" and ride a taller frame than most folks because of a 35.5" inseam.
    • CommentAuthorcyciumx

FREAK!
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Posted By: RuffinitGuys.. quit talking about heighth and start talking about inseam. It's the most essential ingredient to a frame sizing.

I'm 5'9" and ride a taller frame than most folks because of a 35.5" inseam.

Not at all. The top tube measurement is the most important and you are not going to figure that out by using your inseam or height.

Go to you lbs and get fitted. It seems like a waste if you are just getting in to cycling but it will be the best investment you can make into your long term cycling enjoyment.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.