velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Recently my roommate and I had our bikes stolen. Hers was a new Cannondale, while mine was what I believe to be a 1994 Cannondale R600 that I had bought used for $500 in 2002. It was red and blue with Campagnolo hardware. I'm really attached to that bike (I miss it) so I've been scouting out Craigslist, EBay, flea markets, etc. just to see if it pops back up. In the meantime, I'm thinking about getting a replacement, and possibly putting together one from a frame set. Tonight, I came across:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/CANNONDALE-56cm-NEW-OLD-STOCK-VINTAGE-MINT_W0QQitemZ160411965397QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRoad_Bikes?hash=item25594c57d5#ht_500wt_1182
    My questions are:
    1. Is this an outrageous price? What would you do?
    2. How would this compare to the R600 of the previous year? I understand that the R700 is a triathalon model.
    Thanks guys.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2010

Hey, neighbor.

The big difference is the triathlonicity - 650c wheels instead of 700c wheels. You'll have to do more pedaling to get the same distance, assuming that your gearing is the same. BikePedia lists 650c wheels on the R700 only in 1996, but the fork and rear brake bridge are pretty clearly tri-sized. That may or may not be a dealbreaker for you.

I dunno; $300 seems like a lot for an aluminum frame, especially since you're in the Bay Area. For comparison purposes, I got this Fuji frame for free off SF Craigslist, when a seller tossed it in as an extra with the carbon crankset that he sold me for $50. Bikes are thick on the ground here; the swap season starts up at the end of the month, and runs until around October. I have a list of upcoming swaps that I can send, if that's useful.

If the bike was stolen in the East Bay, the main flea markets to patrol are the Ashby BART flea (weekends), the Laney flea (Sundays) and the Coliseum flea (Tuesday-Sunday). All of them are notorious for fenced bikes; the Laney market has the worst rep for moving nicer bikes. You also might want to scout some of the shadier dealers, such as Karim Cyclery on Telegraph at Stuart.

Wes and other South Bay guys, do you ever get to the San Jose flea market? Is that still a moving-hot-merchandise venue, or is it all guys selling tube socks now?
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2010

I love Cannondales and to get a NOS frame for $300 seems worth it to me. The frames are extremely light tight and durable. I love the colors on this bike and of course the paint will be flawless... That being said, I don't think I could get around the 650s. For a TRI frame they're fine, I think I would pass only because of this detail.
    I agree, if the frame suits your purpose, it's not over priced. NOS with a headset installed, seems like a bargain to me.
    I've never actually ridden or investigated 650s. Are they standard in triathalons? If I'm considering triathalon training in the future, it it the way to go?

Going to the flea market tomorrow, to see what I see...
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2010

I know a lot of serious triathaletes that run 650s. Gear it up and go.. Take a look at some of them and check out the gearing they're using especially if you're building one from ground up and looking to get into the sport seriously.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.